Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Background: The school I went to in Patterson Hts (suburban Beaver Falls) consisted of only a small elementary school w/o a kindergarten. We went to jr. high and HS as tuition students. The district was forced to join another school district when I was in late elementary school. That district only went through Jr. high. They were finally forced into a merger w/another district to get a high school. Eventually, the little elementary school was torn down, and my parents suffered much anguish over it for decades, till the end of their lives, actually. My dad, who rarely darkened the door of the school, bemoaned the loss of a community center, though the building remained as a private pre-school for some years.

I didn't have much of an opinion about school districts until I had my own kids in school, which all happened in Colorado. I think economy of scale is a good thing, though once it gets to a certain size, you need numerous assistant superintendents, etc.
All this considered, I suspect if you went to Fox Chapel from the beginning, your opinion would be very different than it is due to your school not being able to stand on its own feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
All this considered, I suspect if you went to Fox Chapel from the beginning, your opinion would be very different than it is due to your school not being able to stand on its own feet.
It was the state that forced the mergers back in the 60s. Plus, Beaver Falls was frequently saying they weren't going to take any more tuition students. What is your issue with such a snide remark? Didn't like it when I disageed with your unfounded assessment of Denver schools?

Old 05-28-2016, 06:41 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
It's not you. He's always like that. BrianTH used to comment on inequity in the school system and it was always "it's not a problem, it's great in Fox Chapel." I just ignore it anymore, it's not anything you can reason with.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:30 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
so there was a train that saved Denver?

Well, we had a mystical aquatic dweller save US!

Old 05-28-2016, 08:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It was the state that forced the mergers back in the 60s. Plus, Beaver Falls was frequently saying they weren't going to take any more tuition students. What is your issue with such a snide remark? Didn't like it when I disageed with your unfounded assessment of Denver schools?
There is nothing "snide" about it. Your experience would be very different if you went to a district that wasn't in trouble, like Fox Chapel. Talk to any kid that went to FC and they are actually proud of the school and feel that it is a good school, that needs no help from the state.

I will look more into the Denver schools. I was told they weren't very good, but you may be correct.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
There is nothing "snide" about it. Your experience would be very different if you went to a district that wasn't in trouble, like Fox Chapel. Talk to any kid that went to FC and they are actually proud of the school and feel that it is a good school, that needs no help from the state.

I will look more into the Denver schools. I was told they weren't very good, but you may be correct.
I'm going to take sealie's advice about this Fox Chapel stuff. You don't understand and you don't want to try.

Who "told" you this about Denver's schools? Does this person have any reason to know anything about the schools here?

Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Mass transit does make for a pleasant commuting alternative. What I can't understand is how other than urban subways, it can possibly do much to unclog traffic. Let me explain.

Recently I rode an Amtrak train from New York to Washington, DC. It has about eight cars, with about 80 riders per car, maybe 100. It was actually pretty full. I don't see how taking, at most, about 800 cars off the New Jersey Turnpike or the Washington Beltway does much to alleviate congestion. Granted it makes for a nice ride, especially when the fare is subsidized.

But how it is anything but more welfare for the rich is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh