Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Stay encased in that echo chamber... I knew the minute I wrote that outline the typical resident Yinzers would be the first to respond. I have h_curtis "gg" and Erieguy on ignore, but I'm sure their rebuttals were inline with yours.
not really sure what you mean by that. i am in the age group and demographic directly addressed by the article and probably could be called a "hipster" to some degree based on my interests. as much as you it may be your ideal scenario, transient east enders aren't the type of people that i want the city to be made up of. if this makes me a yinzer so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Stay encased in that echo chamber... I knew the minute I wrote that outline the typical resident Yinzers would be the first to respond. I have h_curtis "gg" and Erieguy on ignore, but I'm sure their rebuttals were inline with yours.
Pure comedy gold right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
I assure you that "old" and "new" Pittsburgh associate in harmony across many walks of life in the city. it is only super "progressives" like yourself that get on their high horse and not realize that lines are not drawn in stone in the city.
Paul, I'll back you up here.

Generally speaking, I think you'd call me "new" Pittsburgh. I ride a bicycle, ride the bus, live in Lawrenceville in a house that I am rehabbing, work from home just like BB and play wage arbitrage. I am educated, voted for Mayor Ten Speed, wear nice clothes, drink at the fancy new establishments, eat vegan food at cool places like Apteka, and probably pay more in tax money to the city and PPS than some people make in a year. I'm a millennial, to boot, and moved here from Louisville and prior to that lived in CT. My fiancee moved here from California about 8 years ago. I should be qualified to throw some anecdotal truth out there about "old" and "new" Pittsburgh associating in harmony.

Guess what? I get along great with my neighbors. I live dead center in a row of 7 identical houses. In our row are a young college professor who migrated from Baltimore, a mom and adult son who moved here to central Lawrenceville from that faraway place they call upper Lawrenceville where he was born, a millenial who grew up in Fox Chapel who is rehabbing the house next door, and a guy who lives with his wife and has lived in the same house all 62 years of his life. We all get along. We disagree on certain things, but we all wish traffic would go a little slower where we live and are excited about the direction the neighborhood is headed in.

But I guess I am a typical resident yinzer, too. Because, you know, I get along with my neighbors just fine and hate progress, or something like that...

Old 08-10-2016, 12:06 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
it will interesting to see how everything plays out once self driving cars are the norm.
I expect that it will cause both a growth in core city living and exurban growth.

Regarding cities, the main plus will be that cars can drive off and park in a remote location away from people. As a result parking in areas like Downtown, Oakland, South Side, etc won't really be needed any longer, freeing up garages and surface lots for redevelopment. And of course the lack of parking will stop being an issue for people interested in living in or visiting urban areas as well. This is particularly the case since car companies are estimating that rideshare services, one self-driving cars are the norm, will cause a collapse in car ownership by around 40%, with presumably most of that in urban cores. So you won't even need a place to keep your car, because you might not own one at all.

On the other hand, megacommutes will become more feasible. As an extreme example, you could live three hours out from a city, and get most of your sleeping done while on the road. So one should expect new exurban communities cropping up among those who desire them.

So I suppose if it reinforces both growth in the densest urban core as well as the exurbs, we'll see continued decline in outer urban and inner suburban neighborhoods.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:08 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
not really sure what you mean by that. i am in the age group and demographic directly addressed by the article and probably could be called a "hipster" to some degree based on my interests. as much as you it may be your ideal scenario, transient east enders aren't the type of people that i want the city to be made up of. if this makes me a yinzer so be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Pure comedy gold right here.

Paul, I'll back you up here.

Generally speaking, I think you'd call me "new" Pittsburgh. I ride a bicycle, ride the bus, live in Lawrenceville in a house that I am rehabbing, work from home just like BB and play wage arbitrage. I am educated, voted for Mayor Ten Speed, wear nice clothes, drink at the fancy new establishments, eat vegan food at cool places like Apteka, and probably pay more in tax money to the city and PPS than some people make in a year. I'm a millennial, to boot, and moved here from Louisville and prior to that lived in CT. My fiancee moved here from California about 8 years ago. I should be qualified to throw some anecdotal truth out there about "old" and "new" Pittsburgh associating in harmony.

Guess what? I get along great with my neighbors. I live dead center in a row of 7 identical houses. In our row are a young college professor who migrated from Baltimore, a mom and adult son who moved here to central Lawrenceville from that faraway place they call upper Lawrenceville where he was born, a millenial who grew up in Fox Chapel who is rehabbing the house next door, and a guy who lives with his wife and has lived in the same house all 62 years of his life. We all get along. We disagree on certain things, but we all wish traffic would go a little slower where we live and are excited about the direction the neighborhood is headed in.

But I guess I am a typical resident yinzer, too. Because, you know, I get along with my neighbors just fine and hate progress, or something like that...
Learn how to place things into Context, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY.

You haven't described anything that pretends to be a "Yinzer" or Old Mindset ... We're are talking about mindsets here, NOT a persons Age. A person can be 25 or 75 and be of an "Old" Pittsburgh mindset.

Please don't act like my scenario of Old vs New Pittsburgh mindsets don't exists in polarization. That's just burying your head in the sand, because you don't want it to be true.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:38 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
The only such battles I see (& not anything unique to Pittsburgh) are when a new development is proposed & the nimbys come out to complain about some relevant but many ridiculous hypothetical scenarios against said development. But again such nimbyism is a staple of any locale.

The other things mentioned are only fights that seem to exist in comment sections of local news articles which of course is the domain of degenerates that world over.

Locally I don't notice any of these big old vs new battles & everyone I know across generations get along just fine overall.

I moved here for a job coupled with the lower cost of living & have found the area suiting my needs enough to stick around, probably not forever, but im overall content for the time being. Will likely move on when I have more $ to spend but who knows what the future will bring.

Last edited by UKyank; 08-10-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 12:41 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Learn how to place things into Context, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY.

You haven't described anything that pretends to be a "Yinzer" or Old Mindset ... We're are talking about mindsets here, NOT a persons Age. A person can be 25 or 75 and be of an "Old" Pittsburgh mindset.

Please don't act like my scenario of Old vs New Pittsburgh mindsets don't exists in polarization. That's just burying your head in the sand, because you don't want it to be true.
Here is my context:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212
Until the Culture war is won, by one mindset eradicating the other, this type of visceral opposition will continue to paralyze the population along deep "New" Pittsburgh vs. "Old" Pittsburgh lines.
How is eradication not polarizing? By definition, it would seem to mean that one viewpoint is entirely eliminated, being supplanted by another. It isn't really possible to be more polarizing than eliminating one of the poles, is it?

Look, my only impetus for responding to you in the first place, against my better judgement, is to insert a moderate view where there tends to be so many at opposite ends of the spectrum. A lot of people, even beyond those who post here, read this forum for insight as to whether Pittsburgh would be a good place for them to live. I have vested interest in letting folks know that there is what I judge to be a very cool mix of "old" and "new", and that the loudest voices aren't representative of the majority here in any way. I want more people to move here, to make the city I call home more vibrant and better.

I have learned a thing or two from all of these "yinzers". They have helped me around my house, taken care of plants while I am away, and welcomed me to the neighborhood. Just because you seem to think they need to be "eradicated" for there to be progress doesn't mean progress isn't already being made and that there isn't more to come. I tend to think having the "yinzers" around actually is exactly what has kept Pittsburgh from going boom during the last housing crisis and will hopefully do the same if another one is in danger of occurring.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Locally I don't notice any of these big old vs new battles & everyone I know across generations get along just fine overall.
Pay better attention, it's there. It's right here in this thread. Again you don't want it be true therefore it doesn't exist, hence an "Echo Chamber".

Notice how the Progressives here know exactly what I'm talking about, and the Yinzers are the deniers. Typical Typical Typical.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:48 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
A Pittsburgh suburb offers the best of both worlds. You can have a affordable house with a nice yard with deer on it, yet have a short drive to enjoy city amenities.
Indeed. I loved my house in Shaler for this reason. I could sit on my roof with a 6 pack on the 4th of July to watch fireworks downtown, and also had a herd of deer living on undeveloped lots on the other side of my cul-de-sac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Wow. If only the pesky locals would just disappear. Why don't we just put them in re-education camps? We can re-educate them on progressive values.
Nah. Labor camps - we could start a gulag on the hill at Highland Drive and then have the Enemies of the People be put to work building "affordable housing"

Old 08-10-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Here is my context:

How is eradication not polarizing? By definition, it would seem to mean that one viewpoint is entirely eliminated, being supplanted by another. It isn't really possible to be more polarizing than eliminating one of the poles, is it?
Yes, the Old yesterday, not coming back, stagnant mindset needs to be eradicated in order for this region to move forward. Yinzers are perfectly happy being stuck in a place in time, however Pittsburgh cannot survive being trapped in a 1980's time warp.

In order for the city to move forward and add population and be attractive to migration, it must eradicate its "Yinzer" mindset.

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes again.

Quote:
Look, my only impetus for responding to you in the first place, against my better judgement, is to insert a moderate view where there tends to be so many at opposite ends of the spectrum. A lot of people, even beyond those who post here, read this forum for insight as to whether Pittsburgh would be a good place for them to live. I have vested interest in letting folks know that there is what I judge to be a very cool mix of "old" and "new", and that the loudest voices aren't representative of the majority here in any way. I want more people to move here, to make the city I call home more vibrant and better.

And they're doing that under a Progressive Leadership. Not Regressive One, ala the 80's and 90's

Quote:
I have learned a thing or two from all of these "yinzers". They have helped me around my house, taken care of plants while I am away, and welcomed me to the neighborhood. Just because you seem to think they need to be "eradicated" for there to be progress doesn't mean progress isn't already being made and that there isn't more to come. I tend to think having the "yinzers" around actually is exactly what has kept Pittsburgh from going boom during the last housing crisis and will hopefully do the same if another one is in danger of occurring.
Again, YINZER DOSN"T MEAN OLD, Get that through your thought process. Its a Mindset, Mindset Mindset.

I don't care how nice Mr. Jim is next door, if he always rails against change, or the city evolving for the better. Then his mindset, his way of thinking is a Problem and that makes him a Yinzer, NOT HIS AGE.

Jesus Christ, some of you are impossible.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:56 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Pay better attention, it's there. It's right here in this thread. Again you don't want it be true therefore it doesn't exist, hence an "Echo Chamber".

Notice how the Progressives here know exactly what I'm talking about, and the Yinzers are the deniers. Typical Typical Typical.
I don't need to pay better attention to see that this big battle of local ideologies that is claimed is illusory at best among normal Pittsburgh residents.

& if by 'the Progressives here' you are referring to 'Blackbeauty' then yes, but otherwise no, I don't notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh