Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 08:18 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,897 times

Advertisements

Birmingham was called that because it was a unique southern city that was industrial (metals) as opposed to other manufacturing or more cotton etc related industry that dominated the South. U.S. Steel had a presence there back in the day. Other than, it's not more similar to Pittsburgh than any other city that has some older structures etc.

Pittsburgh has nothing in common with Alabama. Neither is truly "Appalachia" either. However based on the tone of the comment, we know why what it was said.

Now back to the actual topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,897 times
Quote:
Both cities have trouble moving forward and leaving the past behind
Oh please. Pittsburgh has a massive structural shift that most cities have not encountered. It's complicated.
Pittsburgh has to deal with a natural change deficit thanks to the 80s. While it does have some success in areas that even its peer cities (industrial or otherwise) have not (all cities call themselves tech this or that, but Pittsburgh has some reality to it - The problem is that the region is unique with clusters of older industrial towns. Most cities have the city and burbs. Some town surround it but not like PA.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
That's fine. I hope Columbus enjoys its growth, and maybe someday it can join Pittsburgh's tier.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Arlington, Texas is 383,000 and a suburb in a 7 million metro. Pittsburgh is a core city just barely over 300,000 in a 2 million metro. You can't really compare any suburb with the core city of another metro. DFW is 2 or 3 times larger than Pittsburgh metro, so DFW IS a couple levels above Pittsburgh. Arlington goes with DFW, so Arlington is a couple of levels above Pittsburgh. It would be much more reasonable and fair to compare Pittsburgh to Ft Wayne, Indiana or Lexington, Kentucky than to Arlington, Texas.

By the way, Arlington is no slouch as a suburb either. It's the home of the Dallas Cowboys, The Texas Rangers and 6 Flags Over Texas. Can any Pittsburgh suburbs compete with those kind of stats? No, I didn't think so.

I don't think anyone here is really interested in comparing suburb stats. few people care about how many people happen to live in a certain suburb limit, or even core city limit for that matter. and the comment about Ft Wayne or Lexington - you really think that would be reasonable? I get your point in that they're not suburbs like Arlington, but they are way smaller than the Pittsburgh metro so I don't think its reasonable at all. A lot of the cities suggested by the Allegheny Institute and other commenters here are just absurd as peers: Wichita??? Ft. Wayne??? Anaheim???

Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Aside from having stadiums and a theme park, Arlington is just plain old suburbia though. It's not even a suburb like Mesa, Arizona which at least is developing an urban center. The only difference is since it's in a sun belt area, where land starts out unincorporated, one suburb managed to capture a wide swathe of land, where up here it would be split between dozens of townships and boroughs.
You did not mention Pittsburgh in this post! (J/K) Oh, I see you did mention "up here". Maybe that counts?

You are aware, I'm sure, that land "up here" didn't all start out subdivided up into townships and boroughs? All the land there started out unincorporated, too. Pittsburgh is simply part of a different generation of cities.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:15 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You are aware, I'm sure, that land "up here" didn't all start out subdivided up into townships and boroughs? All the land there started out unincorporated, too. Pittsburgh is simply part of a different generation of cities.
That is the case for the boroughs. But the townships in PA always had some level of self-government. By the mid 20th century, those in more built up areas were given home-rule charters, which made them functionally equivalent to cities and boroughs. They were never just "lines on a map" like Midwestern survey townships, meaning there was no serious chance that suburban "mega-municipalities" could form here.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That is the case for the boroughs. But the townships in PA always had some level of self-government. By the mid 20th century, those in more built up areas were given home-rule charters, which made them functionally equivalent to cities and boroughs. They were never just "lines on a map" like Midwestern survey townships, meaning there was no serious chance that suburban "mega-municipalities" could form here.
Illinois has townships that have self-government, even inside of cities and towns, sort of like some services are provided by a county, even in a city. Actually, I don't think they have an entity called "towns", I believe it's villages. But that's IL. There are many models.

In PA, there are still options for mergers and the like.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:50 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In PA, there are still options for mergers and the like.
And how many mergers and the like have taken place in the past 100 years?

Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,158 times
Moby Hick - not many. Idk if we can post links on this site - go to google type PA township mergers, click the first one newsworks.org.

Comparable cities to Pgh are: Cleveland, St Louis, and Cincinnati.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:05 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Moby Hick - not many. Idk if we can post links on this site - go to google type PA township mergers, click the first one newsworks.org.
It was a rhetorical question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh