Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:45 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,477 times

Advertisements

Check out the "Relocating to Pittsburgh" thread, stickied at the top of the forum, for great links to just about any relocating info you may need!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 77,014 times
Default Pittsburgh Suburbs

I'm new to this site, but I'd really like to help you out. I'm only fifteen, but I lived in the suburbs of Pitt until I was twelve, and my parents and I did a lot of travelling. My dad was a construction worker, and travelled all around Westmoreland and Allegheny Counties. Now, my hometown was a Place called Lower Burrell. Lower Burrell is next to, and in some places, integrated with New Kensington and Arnold. I would like to give you some advice about these places.Lower Burrell used to be a really good place to live when I lived there, but I went back for Christmas. A new mall, Pittsburgh Mills was built (IT IS HUGE), and it's taking most of the business out of the small towns and making them appear a bit more desolate than I remember. Things aren't all that shiny and new there, but it's where I was raised, and there are good people there. It's close enough to Tarentum and Pittsburgh to commute, also. I advise you: Don't move to Arnold. Most of it is old and cramped, and most of it is turning into the ghetto. I know from personal experience that there are a lot of drugs in that area, so if you're looking to start a family, don't go there.From going to school, I know that Valley has good academics, but a lot of violence. Natrona Heights would be a nicer place than New Kensington to live; The Mall has had less of an impact on it. Cheswick would be okay, too, but I really suggest that it is avoided -- some parts are bad. Don't move to Tarentum. The view is beautiful, but there are a lot of drugs in this area.And, WHATEVER you do, don't move to Wilkinsburg. It's dangerous there. There are a lot of bad areas, but all places have bad areas. There are more good places, and the natural splendor is breathtaking. Deerhunting is almost a religion there, as is rooting for the Steelers. I can say that most of the schools around Westmoreland County and Pittsburgh are good, at least the ones I know: Burrell, Apollo Ridge, The Highlands... but unless you have kids, I guess that wouldn't matter. It's beautiful and rich in culture the closer you get to Pittsburgh, and the technology is good. The government in PA knows how to use its money. I live in North Carolina now, and things down here are appalling compared to what they were there, and people really don't understand how good they have it until they move away.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM

30 posts, read 143,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtopgh View Post
Yes in fact - you wouldn't happen to be a current intern would you?
I'm an intern at WPIC. Good luck with your move. I'm sure you'll like it here.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:40 PM

7 posts, read 17,255 times
What a small world. Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 36,172 times
Talking Moving to Pitt as well

Thank you for all this helpful information. I'm moving to Pittsburgh as well for a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Clinical Psychology and I will also be at the Highland Dr. VA. I am glad to see that I am on the right track and have been looking at all the right neighborhoods. I strongly want to avoid having to use bridges and tunnels to get to work! I want to end up in a safe place, but get as much bang for my buck as possible (who doesn't???). One limitation I am finding is that I have 2 cats. There are many properties that don't allow pets at all. Can anyone recommend a good landlord in one of the better neighborhoods that will permit pets?

Thanks a bunch, and even though I am originally from Cleveland, I am looking forward to living in Pittsburgh!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
If you live in the city you have a 3% wage tax which is usually only 1% in the suburbs.

Right across the Highland Park Bridge is Aspinwall, a desirable suburb with a Pgh. zip code. A little ways down the road is Blawnox (cheaper and not as nice) with the same Pgh. zip code, 15238.

On the same side of the river as the VA is Verona and Oakmont. Oakmont is the more desirable boro but Verona isn't bad. These are about 5 miles from the VA.

The Highland Drive VA has 1,000+/- employees. It's a great place to work. Buildings number to maybe 32 but I'm not sure if there are that many. Only 3 or 4 have patients. The grounds are real nice. There's a large underground tunnel system that can get you to most of the buildings like on rainy or cold days.

Pittsburgh has three rivers and more bridges than any other city in the country and maybe in the world.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 AM

632 posts, read 1,740,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delia575 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good landlord in one of the better neighborhoods that will permit pets?
I PMed you with some info about a good landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh