Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 AM

684 posts, read 419,999 times

Advertisements

I say grab a hot dog put it on a stick and cook it over the fire! There's nothing better than a hot dog cooked over an open wood fire!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 09:49 AM

264 posts, read 338,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
On the other hand, those people probably burn wood, too.

Among other things. We have a neighbor who loves to burn wet leaves (smoke), green grass clippings (more smoke), and any kind of paper/plastic that comes out of his house. This butthole has also been guilty of burning asphalt shingles, carpet and foam padding, and furniture. Yes, I called the police.

Another neighbor behind owns an auction house and instead of donating unsold furniture from estate sales would bring it home and have a 15 foot tall bonfire in his field, right behind the back of our house. Called the DEP on him because bringing business waste to a residential area is a violation.

So the little backyard fire pits and chimineas are ok by me.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:52 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy3n8 View Post
Among other things. We have a neighbor who loves to burn wet leaves (smoke), green grass clippings (more smoke), and any kind of paper/plastic that comes out of his house. This butthole has also been guilty of burning asphalt shingles, carpet and foam padding, and furniture. Yes, I called the police.

Another neighbor behind owns an auction house and instead of donating unsold furniture from estate sales would bring it home and have a 15 foot tall bonfire in his field, right behind the back of our house. Called the DEP on him because bringing business waste to a residential area is a violation.

Ahhh...good ole redneck burning...that’s not recreational, that’s just being cheap and dumb.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 PM

433 posts, read 287,686 times
We have a fire pit but I make sure we burn only leftover lumber, when its around. It's so dry that there is very little smoke. I do it because I don't want to bother my neighbors in case they happen to be hyper-sensitive that evening. Then again, it could be a bit fun to douse a Cub Scouts camp fire, just to see tears of sadness in the little fellows eyes as opposed to those caused by the smoke and carcinogens.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy3n8 View Post

I have a feeling this is not a local post and was a response from way outside of Pittsburgh. Don't think we can get away with burning plastic around here.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:17 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,326 times
I'll just burn stuff in my house then and when my house catches fire, yours probably will too

Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburgh View Post
It's a growing issue in our neighborhood: already poor quality air is now hit with a haze of stinking wood smoke from backyard fire pits. There are undisputed health hazards - wood smoke is considerably more toxic than second hand tobacco smoke - and creates significant risks to individuals with respiratory illnesses.

There is no safe place or time of year that vulnerable people can avoid this pollution. Open fire pits expose people to even more pollution than a fireplace or tobacco smoke. (Each fire will emit close to one pound of smoke pollution, with 90% being in the deadly smaller than one micron range.)

What we know about the dangers of tobacco smoke applies to wood smoke. In fact, wood smoke is chemically active in the body 40 times longer than tobacco smoke. It is also 12 times more carcinogenic than tobacco smoke.

It seems foolish to consider wood fires as a lifestyle enhancement. Users of these devices are making an selfish choice that their neighbors are expected to put up with. The perception is that these are perfectly legal and desirable lifestyle-enhancing devices.

Given Pittsburgh's already terrible air quality, I think it's time to contact our elected representatives and start pushing to get backyard fire pits outlawed.
You must be fun to live near .

Old 05-26-2018, 07:08 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburgh View Post
You might feel differently if you lived in a neighborhood where the houses are very close together. It's inconsiderate and selfish. Of course there are people who still think cigarette smoking should be allowed in public spaces--all about their personal freedom!
Let me guess where you live: Lawrenceville. I've heard about newcomers complaining about people's fire pits. Yuppies have to whine about everything.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:28 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,313,918 times
And for the record, most of our region has good air quality. It is mainly the lower elevation spots in the city and near major roadways in the suburbs where there is poor air quality, though most of this is comparable to other similar areas in the US. You can see some interesting data on air quality in the map below. You can type an address in the search bar to find the air quality there.

https://breatheproject.org/pollution-map/

Old 05-28-2018, 08:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
And for the record, most of our region has good air quality. It is mainly the lower elevation spots in the city and near major roadways in the suburbs where there is poor air quality, though most of this is comparable to other similar areas in the US. You can see some interesting data on air quality in the map below. You can type an address in the search bar to find the air quality there.

https://breatheproject.org/pollution-map/
We don't have "good air quality". Come on, we have horrible air in Pittsburgh and some say it is the WORST in the country. Might as well live in Xingtai.

Pittsburgh's air quality among worst in nation, study says | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh