Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:07 AM

264 posts, read 338,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I have a feeling this is not a local post and was a response from way outside of Pittsburgh.

You are right, I am not in the city itself, but this forum isn't limited to city residents. And I am not 'way outside' of Pittsburgh, just in a suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 12:18 PM

994 posts, read 901,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Refular yard fires out of pallets in the city limits? That's pretty Shady. What neighborhood?
Pallets tend to be treated with chemicals. It's not clean wood. I would inquire with the township to find out of it's allowed.

Old 12-25-2019, 01:42 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times
It is crazy, Christmas Day in the Pittsburgh metro and we are under an air quality alert. I wonder what is creating all of this pollution? The cracker plant isn’t even up and running yet and most facilities aren’t producing goods and hardly anybody is working today.

Maybe it’s all of the reindeer farts when Santa delivered presents to the Pittsburgh area last night?

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Independentthinking83; 12-25-2019 at 01:51 PM..

Old 12-25-2019, 02:00 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It is crazy, Christmas Day in the Pittsburgh metro and we are under an air quality alert. I wonder what is creating all of this pollution? The cracker plant isn’t even up and running yet and most facilities aren’t producing goods and hardly anybody is working today.

Maybe it’s all of the reindeer farts when Santa delivered presents to the Pittsburgh area last night?

Merry Christmas!
I'm down in Southern Maryland by the Chesapeake Bay and we have an air quality alert, too. No one, even the Washington Post article, had much of an explanation other than "It sometimes happens in the wintertime".

Old 12-25-2019, 02:24 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times
Its a temperature inversion.

Quote:
Caused by a temperature inversion, the weather phenomenon resulted in limited visibility, led to numerous flight delays or cancellations and caused unhealthy air because of pollutants trapped at ground level.
The state Department of Environmental Protection had predicted a “Code Orange air quality action day” for the region on Wednesday, due to high amounts of fine particles in the air and a temperature inversion plus low wind speed that will trap the pollutants at ground level, particularly in the Mon Valley but extending beyond it. Much the same conditions could persist through Thursday.

The temperature inversion, which occurs when a layer of warm air overrides a layer of cooler air, is resulting from a stagnant high pressure system.

Mr. Bookbinder said while it was 28 degrees earlier Wednesday morning at ground level, it was 50 degrees 1,000 feet up.

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...s/201912250078

Old 12-25-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Its a temperature inversion.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I assume this is more apt to happen here with the terrain?

Old 12-26-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I assume this is more apt to happen here with the terrain?
Yes - the rivers and the hills certainly don't help this phenomenon at all.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Yes - the rivers and the hills certainly don't help this phenomenon at all.
I guess you can try to rid the entire region of companies that emit pollution and it still won’t make a difference. The topography is our own worst enemy.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The topography is our own worst enemy.
That and the congestion caused by overburdened roads (many of which are poorly designed)...
One of the biggest pollution sources downtown is diesel particulate emissions... but those who scream loudest against a cracker plant in a different county ironically also scream loudest for continued development of density in the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods such as the Strip and the North Shore - which will only increase congestion, which will only increase diesel particulate emissions, which will only increase air pollution...

Pollution from suburban and exurban industries = bad, bad, bad! Listen to Greta, we only have 12 more years!

Pollution from urban density = good, good, good! Signs of progress!!

It would be quite funny if it weren't so ridiculous.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
I was thinking of picking up one of these. g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh