Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:26 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
So the tone of an internet post is what made it racist not the actual text? How was it demeaning to you? I would rather see all dirty energy jobs wiped out because our health and climate matter more. That's what they are saying, and they rightfully point out that only one group benefits from the earth killing jobs while everyone else suffers.

You will disagree with that, for many reasons but it isn't racist to point out that sometimes some people benefit more than others in certain industries.
I appreciate your attempts at rationalization, however, the statement originally made about air quality from the soon to be finished Shell plant wasn’t valid, so instead of trying to validate it, racist remarks were made in place of that.

Many more than just 1 group benefits from gas/oil jobs. A couple articles don’t speak for everyone, but that doesn’t fit the narrative.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:31 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I appreciate your attempts at rationalization, however, the statement originally made about air quality from the soon to be finished Shell plant wasn’t valid, so instead of trying to validate it, racist remarks were made in place of that.

Many more than just 1 group benefits from gas/oil jobs. A couple articles don’t speak for everyone, but that doesn’t fit the narrative.
One of two things is true:

-You don’t know what racism is.
-You were playing a cynical game of “gotcha”

Absolutely nothing I’ve said was racist, and I’m offended by your attempt at character assassination.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:38 PM

755 posts, read 472,895 times
Quote:

There is a "multiplier effect" that follows from almost any new economic activity.

We should keep in mind that resource extraction jobs are by definition time limited. Once the infrastructure is built-out, the number of oil and gas related jobs will decline precipitously. The ethane cracker facility is a different story. It will provide jobs, but the number will depend on the degree of automation. I don't know if the idea of fenceline monitoring is alive or dead, but the prospect of turning the upper Ohio river valley into a petro-chemical hub is not very appealing to me - a white guy with almost zero chance of being hired by either Shell or Apple.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Absolutely nothing I’ve said was racist, and I’m offended by your attempt at character assassination.
I do know what racism is.

I don’t play any games.

You’re not offended, you’re trying to rationalize what you’ve said.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM

969 posts, read 772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Bingo.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
There is a "multiplier effect" that follows from almost any new economic activity.

We should keep in mind that resource extraction jobs are by definition time limited. Once the infrastructure is built-out, the number of oil and gas related jobs will decline precipitously. The ethane cracker facility is a different story. It will provide jobs, but the number will depend on the degree of automation. I don't know if the idea of fenceline monitoring is alive or dead, but the prospect of turning the upper Ohio river valley into a petro-chemical hub is not very appealing to me - a white guy with almost zero chance of being hired by either Shell or Apple.
I don’t have a problem with it either way and there’s nothing that can be done about it. I don’t care what color anyone is and I’m a white guy that has no desire or need to work for either company. I also don’t care what color the employees are and would never lump any group into either company.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:51 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Ugh. Using a term like “uneducated” is putting a group down. They work hard and are educated in their field. They also make more than most.... well I won’t go there but it is tempting. Nothing wrong with being a tough hard working man.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 PM

755 posts, read 472,895 times
Quote:
I don’t have a problem with it either way and there’s nothing that can be done about it. I don’t care what color anyone is and I’m a white guy that has no desire or need to work for either company. I also don’t care what color the employees are and would never lump any group into either company.
Not even sure why I said I was a white guy. Jeezh. Now the cat's out of the bag. ;-)

I guess I was trying to make the point that 99% of people in the area will probably never work at Apple or Shell. But we all will breath the same air and drink the same water. And more to the point, this applies to our kids, who are by far the more vulnerable.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:58 PM

969 posts, read 772,785 times
Quote:
Not even sure why I said I was a white guy. Jeezh. Now the cat's out of the bag. ;-)

I guess I was trying to make the point that 99% of people in the area will probably never work at Apple or Shell. But we all will breath the same air and drink the same water. And more to the point, this applies to our kids, who are by far the more vulnerable.
That is the larger point of discussion, but it breaks down when people deny the underlying issue of pollution and climate change.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:

The emissions coming from the plant are to have no effect on air/water quality. Until proven otherwise, accusations against that aren’t valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh