Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:33 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
This is very true and something I hadn't considered even though I've been living through it. Along Butler Street there really are very few vestiges of the Lawrenceville of a decade ago. Off the top of my head I can think of Frankie's, Hambones, a few fast food places, and a few convenience stores. These people probably aren't going to a place like Morcilla or even cheaper place like Condado, so the amenities for them to actually walk to are fewer and fewer.
Hambones isn't anywhere near as divey as it used to be. They serve Sunday brunch now FFS!

In terms of non-gentrified businesses, there's still a ton in Central Lawrenceville. There's the nail salon, the "Asian massage" place, the vacuum cleaner shop, the shoe store, a few pizza places, Barb's Corner Kitchen, Stinky's, the Irish bar, etc. I'm sure everyone uses the PNC, Deli on Butler, and the Wine & Spirits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I walked from yinzer neighborhood to yinzer neighborhood before walkability meant you needed to be within 100 yards of a coffee shop and craft beer joint or you'd die of inconvenience.
^ This. I mean I walk from Polish Hill to Bloomfield, the Strip, and Lawrenceville for many of my needs. Meanwhile I think it was Eschaton in the past who said something like the majority of people only consider 1/4-mile or less to be "walkable". How lazy are we becoming?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This. I mean I walk from Polish Hill to Bloomfield, the Strip, and Lawrenceville for many of my needs. Meanwhile I think it was Eschaton in the past who said something like the majority of people only consider 1/4-mile or less to be "walkable". How lazy are we becoming?
Again, the way walkability is basically defined by urban planners is amenities close enough to you that you will walk even if:

1. You have a car.
2. The weather is cruddy.
3. There's parking at the other end of your trip.

Under those standards, the area I currently live is not walkable. I mean, it takes about 15 minutes to walk the 0.8 miles to get to the Rite Aid in our neighborhood. We do this all the time when the weather is nice, but if we absolutely need something there and it's winter (or pouring) we'll get in the car and drive for three minutes instead.

If we lived instead like two blocks from the Rite Aid - say a 5-7 minute walk - I couldn't see us ever piling into the car.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Growing up in Dormont in the 1960s, it was mostly kids doing the walking.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Again, the way walkability is basically defined by urban planners is amenities close enough to you that you will walk even if:

1. You have a car.
2. The weather is cruddy.
3. There's parking at the other end of your trip.

Under those standards, the area I currently live is not walkable. I mean, it takes about 15 minutes to walk the 0.8 miles to get to the Rite Aid in our neighborhood. We do this all the time when the weather is nice, but if we absolutely need something there and it's winter (or pouring) we'll get in the car and drive for three minutes instead.

If we lived instead like two blocks from the Rite Aid - say a 5-7 minute walk - I couldn't see us ever piling into the car.
Eh. I understand that you're just regurgitating what urban planners have "universally defined" walkability to mean to them. I'm still going to think it's pure laziness. If I hop in my car and drive to the Strip to pick up a mocha at La Prima or a bag of popcorn or something instead of walking the 15 minutes I feel "lazy" because, yes, I certainly could have (and should have) walked to reduce my carbon footprint.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
I lived in Greenfield and walked to my classes at Pitt regularly. Just like I walked to Squirrel Hill from Wilkinsburg to go to the Starbucks. People have become soft, not just over the hill yinzers and their personal handicapped placards.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Eh. I understand that you're just regurgitating what urban planners have "universally defined" walkability to mean to them. I'm still going to think it's pure laziness. If I hop in my car and drive to the Strip to pick up a mocha at La Prima or a bag of popcorn or something instead of walking the 15 minutes I feel "lazy" because, yes, I certainly could have (and should have) walked to reduce my carbon footprint.
I understand your point, but I think I should note that ironically given your politics you're making a fundamentally conservative argument here. You're arguing that bad outcomes are the fault of individuals for not acting in a personally responsible fashion. It's just that what you consider "responsible" is different than many other people.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 AM

2,368 posts, read 1,856,713 times
Quote:
Well you guys both have a point. Weather and other factors can seriously impact the walkable range.

Carrying a week's worth of groceries over the icy, hilly streets of January Pittsburgh doesn't sound like something anyone would want to do for more than a couple of blocks.

On the other hand, a leisurely walk to the coffee shop on a sunny spring afternoon is something entirely different

Old 03-13-2019, 10:40 AM

436 posts, read 343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Of course the people on CD are passionate and vocal about these topics, but is that something that people in the real world take for granted or squander(for example, driving everywhere while living in a walkable neighborhood).

I am curious, having never been to the city, to what extent is these ideas and practices part of the normal conversation in Pittsburgh society?
Ohhh no. Yinzers could care less about walking or biking

Old 03-13-2019, 10:55 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
I’m not sure those writing off walkability and urbanity as a concern for yinzers are considering the outrage caused by the possibility of losing a grocery in Bloomfield or of the actual uprooting and relocation iof low income residents from East Liberty’s core to other neighborhoods. Walkability and/or public transit access are absolutely important to many “yinzers”, who I am taking to mean long time Pittsburgh residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh