Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I’m not sure those writing off walkability and urbanity as a concern for yinzers are considering the outrage caused by the possibility of losing a grocery in Bloomfield or of the actual uprooting and relocation iof low income residents from East Liberty’s core to other neighborhoods. Walkability and/or public transit access are absolutely important to many “yinzers”, who I am taking to mean long time Pittsburgh residents.
^ This. There aren't many yinzers left in Polish Hill these days, but the ones who remain were indeed saddened when our neighborhood market went out of business. I think MANY people---yinzer or transplant alike---appreciate walkability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM

716 posts, read 766,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

Carrying a week's worth of groceries over the icy, hilly streets of January Pittsburgh doesn't sound like something anyone would want to do for more than a couple of blocks.
I'm the dude walking around with the granny buggy when I walk or take the bus to the strip. Highly recommend one.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I’m not sure those writing off walkability and urbanity as a concern for yinzers are considering the outrage caused by the possibility of losing a grocery in Bloomfield or of the actual uprooting and relocation iof low income residents from East Liberty’s core to other neighborhoods. Walkability and/or public transit access are absolutely important to many “yinzers”, who I am taking to mean long time Pittsburgh residents.

Exactly, walkability is an expected norm in a lot of Pittsburgh neighborhoods and when threatened it is a major concern.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:29 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This. I mean I walk from Polish Hill to Bloomfield, the Strip, and Lawrenceville for many of my needs. Meanwhile I think it was Eschaton in the past who said something like the majority of people only consider 1/4-mile or less to be "walkable". How lazy are we becoming?
But you're also saying that as a young, healthy, man. What's easy and important for you with regards to walkability isn't necessarily a priority for other people. A mother with small children may not want to walk two miles to a store with her kids along. A senior with arthritis might value being close to the pharmacy and grocery store. A woman might not feel safe walking next to a busy road late at night. Part of seeing accessibility is recognizing that it means different things for different people, and isn't about laziness. It's not a competition about who can walk 5 miles to get coffee.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-14-2019 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 09:31 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But you're also saying that as a young, healthy, man. What's easy and important for you with regards to walkability isn't necessarily a priority for other people. A mother with small children may not want to walk two miles to a store with her kids along. A senior with arthritis might value being close to the pharmacy and grocery store. A woman might not feel safe walking next to a busy road late at night. Part of seeing accessibility is recognizing that it means different things for different people, and isn't about laziness. It's not a competition.
Well if the qualifier is that a Pittsburgher is only in a walkable domicile if their daily needs can be met within a walk of 1/4-mile or less, then how many Pittsburghers truly live in that sort of environment? If that sort of environment is in sky-high demand, then why isn't the city targeting more semi-walkable or "bones to be semi-walkable" areas in this city for redevelopment instead of cramming it all into the same few neighborhoods like Shadyside, East Liberty, and the Strip District?

Old 03-14-2019, 09:39 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Well if the qualifier is that a Pittsburgher is only in a walkable domicile if their daily needs can be met within a walk of 1/4-mile or less, then how many Pittsburghers truly live in that sort of environment? If that sort of environment is in sky-high demand, then why isn't the city targeting more semi-walkable or "bones to be semi-walkable" areas in this city for redevelopment instead of cramming it all into the same few neighborhoods like Shadyside, East Liberty, and the Strip District?
That kind of development needs to come up from the neighborhood residents, it isn't imposed by the city. Areas like Shadyside and East Liberty have a vocal community lobbying for these amenities.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
In order to have a thriving commercial district in the modern era, you basically need to have one of two things.

1. Have lots of people from outside the neighborhood travel there because it's the "it place." The issue with that is in a city like Pittsburgh, a lot of those people will be driving, which creates parking problems. Happened to South Side first, and now Lawrenceville.

2. Have a high enough population density that local foot traffic is enough to stimulate demand in the business district. In the modern era, this means you need significant levels of density - apartment buildings and the like - within a close distance of the business district.

A lot of the "semi-walkable" zones of Pittsburgh just don't have the population needed to fill in the business district within walking distance. Bryant Street on Highland Park is a good example of this. The area around it is very gentrified (houses sell for $350,000-$550,000 in that zone) but the three-block span of commercial activity has vacant grassy lots, seemingly abandoned buildings, and the single new-construction apartment from a few years back still has over half the commercial space empty on the first floor. Highland Park just doesn't have enough people to sustain a three-block business district - it needs more apartment buildings. Of course, there's nowhere to put them, so it's just sort of stuck in the current position with only incremental improvements.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
As time goes on, the only brick and mortar establishments in a little business district will be restaurants and bars. It's mostly that way now.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
As time goes on, the only brick and mortar establishments in a little business district will be restaurants and bars. It's mostly that way now.
I was going to add that most neighborhoods used to have a small grocery where you could get the essentials. I remember walking from my childhood home to the small business district on Shadeland avenue to go to Peggy Ann's store for candy and whatever but they had milk, bread and canned goods as well. These little stores were everywhere, not any more.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:08 PM

969 posts, read 772,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I was going to add that most neighborhoods used to have a small grocery where you could get the essentials. I remember walking from my childhood home to the small business district on Shadeland avenue to go to Peggy Ann's store for candy and whatever but they had milk, bread and canned goods as well. These little stores were everywhere, not any more.
I have a convenience store a few blocks from my home that sells all of that. What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh