Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The point is, when neighborhood business districts were thriving, people DID visit the shops on a daily basis. I know my mother did, as did the legion of mothers who were home all day. The social structure changed and the need for walkable business districts declined. Now their purpose is fading further as more brick and mortar goes away. When neighborhood business districts were needed, there were no estabishments dedicated to coffee.

Today "walkable" is just a milllenial fad except for the need for a nearby bar to avoid drunk driving laws.

I walk to the shops in my business district all the time, but never to the bars there. Post office, liquor store, library, pharmacy, dry cleaners, seamstress, chiropractor, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
There are plenty of suburbs in Europe and they don't all contain poor immigrants. Go to Dublin. Most people live in suburbs built in the last 30 years. The difference is the homes are small and attached. But everyone drives there. The pubs in these areas were going under because of drunk driving laws. Or take the train from old Amsterdam to the airport. High rise after high rise where working people live. Americans mostly visit the center cities and imagine that's all there is.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Today "walkable" is just a milllenial fad except for the need for a nearby bar to avoid drunk driving laws.
As much as I want to disagree with you, I have to be honest. I think you are right. Sure someone can walk to some store and carry some stuff now and again, but people for the most part drive if it isn't a block away. Heck I see people drive when it might not take any more time to walk. People like the idea of being able to get somewhere fast if they need to and haul things.

Of course there are the few people that don't have a car, but a lot of them use Lyft often.

People like to dream about walking to a store, restaurants and such, but they drive or get driven often.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM

You can't design life from the top down, which is what urbanists imagine they can do. At best you get a fad. To return to the kind of neighborhood I grew up in, the social structure has to change where a family has 2 parents, only 1 working, and 1 car at most.And retail rents have to be affordable for proprietors.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I walk to the shops in my business district all the time, but never to the bars there. Post office, liquor store, library, pharmacy, dry cleaners, seamstress, chiropractor, etc.
I envy you, actually, for living in a solid neighborhood where there are USEFUL businesses within easy walking distance.

I'm not sure what the hell I'm supposed to do with a comic book store, record store, smoky dive bars, a sunglasses store, and offices within easy walking distance of me yet we have to drive to do almost everything else.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I envy you, actually, for living in a solid neighborhood where there are USEFUL businesses within easy walking distance.

I'm not sure what the hell I'm supposed to do with a comic book store, record store, smoky dive bars, a sunglasses store, and offices within easy walking distance of me yet we have to drive to do almost everything else.
You could move to an area where you can walk to the things that you would use.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Our record store just closed, but the comic book store is going strong. I do wonder about your sunglasses store? It only sells sunglasses in one of the cloudiest cities in the country?

Old 03-15-2019, 10:32 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Except for mall shopping, I'm not seeing the retail decline in the burbs. I don't go to malls, so I'm not really sure how bad it is at say South Hills Village. Century III is a unique case. I live near Caste Village, which is booming and always busy. It serves a much larger population than any walkable neighborhood business district because you can drive to it.
There's been plenty of articles detailing how the retail decline is hitting the suburbs harder proportionately. Here's one from Slate in 2017. Here's one from CityLab from 2018. The "pivot to entertainment" that city business districts have done isn't as feasible for suburban strip malls.

Quote:
Decentralized service provision is the future, and that reinforces the suburbs, not the city.
I'm not saying that upscale suburbs will become a thing of the past. But the idea that the inner city will be a place of concentrated poverty and high crime is outmoded. Already in Pittsburgh the city is on a per-capital basis significantly less poor than a lot of suburban municipalities (admittedly mostly mill towns) and PPS outperforms Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills, Woodland Hills, etc.

Quote:
There are plenty of suburbs in Europe and they don't all contain poor immigrants. Go to Dublin. Most people live in suburbs built in the last 30 years. The difference is the homes are small and attached. But everyone drives there. The pubs in these areas were going under because of drunk driving laws. Or take the train from old Amsterdam to the airport. High rise after high rise where working people live. Americans mostly visit the center cities and imagine that's all there is.
The structure of European suburbs varies from country to country. In the UK, they're full of rowhouses. In Scandinavia, Germany, and France, they're mostly detached single-family homes with small yards, similar to our prewar suburbs. But if you go to a somewhere in southern Europe like Italy and Spain, people will be living in apartment buildings even in very small villages. The major difference between the U.S. and Europe is Europe tends to consider farmland part of their "heritage" and thus tries to minimize suburban sprawl into it, which results in much more compact (if not always walkable) suburbia.

Regardless, the point isn't that no one wants a suburban-style life. It's that there's no stigma against city living. Cities all have wealthy areas right in the core with relatively low crime and good public schools. People make the choice to live or not live in the city based upon different priorities. The cities still have "bad" areas right in the urban core of course. But the suburbs do too. I don't think we're heading to a future where the cities are rich and the suburbs are poor. But we are getting to one where the city is more or less a representative cross-sample (economically speaking) of the metropolitan area as a whole.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's been plenty of articles detailing how the retail decline is hitting the suburbs harder proportionately. Here's one from Slate in 2017. Here's one from CityLab from 2018. The "pivot to entertainment" that city business districts have done isn't as feasible for suburban strip malls.

I'm not saying that upscale suburbs will become a thing of the past. But the idea that the inner city will be a place of concentrated poverty and high crime is outmoded. Already in Pittsburgh the city is on a per-capital basis significantly less poor than a lot of suburban municipalities (admittedly mostly mill towns) and PPS outperforms Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills, Woodland Hills, etc.

The structure of European suburbs varies from country to country. In the UK, they're full of rowhouses. In Scandinavia, Germany, and France, they're mostly detached single-family homes with small yards, similar to our prewar suburbs. But if you go to a somewhere in southern Europe like Italy and Spain, people will be living in apartment buildings even in very small villages. The major difference between the U.S. and Europe is Europe tends to consider farmland part of their "heritage" and thus tries to minimize suburban sprawl into it, which results in much more compact (if not always walkable) suburbia.

Regardless, the point isn't that no one wants a suburban-style life. It's that there's no stigma against city living. Cities all have wealthy areas right in the core with relatively low crime and good public schools. People make the choice to live or not live in the city based upon different priorities. The cities still have "bad" areas right in the urban core of course. But the suburbs do too. I don't think we're heading to a future where the cities are rich and the suburbs are poor. But we are getting to one where the city is more or less a representative cross-sample (economically speaking) of the metropolitan area as a whole.
I agree brick and mortar retail will decline, I'm just not seeing it yet. We saw a decline of small shops with the advent of malls and big box stores, but locally I'm not seeing any retail decline (besides malls) over the past 7 years since Ive lived here. I suspect big box retail will disappear or be reduced to warehouse facilities over the next 5 to 10 years.

An interesting story from Tampa (which has a much more robust small retail sector than Pittsburgh): Recently, the Sam's Club was shuttered and converted to a Walmart Warehouse shipping facility in my sister's neighborhood. It had always been a busy store, but Walmart announced they were concentrating resources in online shopping. This will be a big trend for all surviving big box retail like Best Buy and even Home Depot and Lowes. That would provide an entry point for small retailers in neighborhoods with affordable commercial rents.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You could move to an area where you can walk to the things that you would use.
Considering it. Fantasized today about larger and cheaper rentals in Beechview, which also has a useful business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh