Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,793,641 times

Advertisements

Just downtown & point state park alone can take a whole day though, especially for people who like architecture. and especially if you do a boat tour. regarding the other areas of town, most cities don't have a separate aviary, or buildings like the Cathedral of Learning. some have Strip District-like areas, but Pittsburgh's is more funky and unusual than most. also usually in the warm months, there are more weekend events and festivals to take people to as well. also, more people than I expected from out of town are impressed by South Side flats (I mean during the day or a weeknight evening, not a weekend night its too obnoxious )-- its not something a lot of cities have anything really like, especially with the Slopes overlooking it.

Last edited by _Buster; 04-23-2019 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,086,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chao View Post
Pittsburgh attractions are few and limited, you go to PNC park, heinz field, warhol museum, (whole central north side), point park, downtown and CMU, then incline at night. go to Fallingwater the next day and Pittsburgh Tour is complete....

i don't know if you were being facetious. Attractions are few and limited, but then you rattled off enough that would take way more than a day. Unless your attention span is so limited that need to rush through things just to check it off as "been there / done that".

I disagree. We actually have numerous attractions. Should we make reasonable comparisons with other cities? NYC and Chicago are NOT reasonable comparisons, but compared to other metro areas within a 7 hours drive, I don't see any other burying us, except DC, for attractions.

And is CMU an "attraction"? I can certainly see the Cathedral of Learning and the Peterman as destinations (both Pitt).

Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,002,161 times
Quote:

Carnegie museum, Aviary, zoo/aquarium, mattress factory, science center and heinz history center are more of local entertainment to me. i would only take friend/family over if they need somewhere to kill some time....similar facility exist in almost every similar size city.
Mattress Factory and the National Aviary are pretty unique. Most cities don’t have a natural history museum, and ours is definitely above average. As other have noted, you’ve also overlooked Phipps, the Cathedral of Learning, and most importantly, neighborhoods exploration.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:02 PM

233 posts, read 137,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's odd to me that you'd take a visitor to Heinz Field and CMU, but don't think most of the local museums are worthwhile. That's exactly the opposite for my visitors.

We also do the Frick, Phipps, the Strip on a weekend morning, shopping in Lawrenceville and Shadyside, nationality rooms in Cathedral of Learning then walking over to Heinz Chapel, and of course finding new places to eat.

i should've just said 2 college campus instead of cmu, my bad. visit cmu is more of like visit mit and harvard when i went to Boston. catheral of learning and walk into sky are 2 things that was requested to be seem during their visit.

i really dont find strip to be worth visiting, it's really more of our weekend grocery shopping + lunch place, not to mention lawrenceville or shadyside are...just okay.

i personally dont find pittsburgh museums are that much attractive for tourist, even though we do visit most pittsburgh museum very often due to 2 kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i don't know if you were being facetious. Attractions are few and limited, but then you rattled off enough that would take way more than a day. Unless your attention span is so limited that need to rush through things just to check it off as "been there / done that".

I disagree. We actually have numerous attractions. Should we make reasonable comparisons with other cities? NYC and Chicago are NOT reasonable comparisons, but compared to other metro areas within a 7 hours drive, I don't see any other burying us, except DC, for attractions.

And is CMU an "attraction"? I can certainly see the Cathedral of Learning and the Peterman as destinations (both Pitt).
those things i mentioned, it does take less than a day or a day, sometime we have time for a nap....

i was actually thinking about nyc, boston, la, sf, so the comparison is on different level, and believe it or not, people will compare Pittsburgh to close by major city and it doesnt matter if we think it's reasonable or not, it's the fact that tourist will compare or just not visit at all.

when friends/family is planning a visit from other side of the earth, i always tell them to plan majority of their time in nyc/dc and spend 1-2 days at most for Pittsburgh. I just wont want take them to heinz history center or Phillips when they could spend their time in more popular attraction/sight in nyc or dc.

you are right about catheral of learning and that's my fault just saying cmu when i was thinking college campus in general. people want visit cmu just like i visited harvard and mit when i went to boston, most want take a photo with "walk into sky" and check out cmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Mattress Factory and the National Aviary are pretty unique. Most cities don’t have a natural history museum, and ours is definitely above average. As other have noted, you’ve also overlooked Phipps, the Cathedral of Learning, and most importantly, neighborhoods exploration.
i agree on catheral of learning, i was meaning both college campus include walk into the sky and catheral of learning, shouldn't just say cmu, my bad.

maybe i am looking from different perspective since most my family fly 16-22 hours across the ocean and when comparing with nearby big city like nyc or dc, pittsburgh museum and neighbor exploration just doesnt cut it, therefore most of my selection are something that's unique to pittsburgh like city sports stadium, schools, fallingwater, warhol and incline for grandview. then we are off to nyc/dc...

Old 04-23-2019, 04:15 PM

6,788 posts, read 9,640,414 times
Quote:

The National Aviary is unique in the nation. It has to be or it would only be the Regional Aviary.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:19 PM

45,618 posts, read 61,049,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The National Aviary is unique in the nation. It has to be or it would only be the Regional Aviary.
Not necessarily. Both Baltimore and DC had a "National Aquarium".

Old 04-23-2019, 04:27 PM

6,788 posts, read 9,640,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not necessarily. Both Baltimore and DC had a "National Aquarium".

That's like Penn State with all the regional campuses. You might get an education at Penn State McKeesport, but you'll never be able to hide horrible sex abuse because of the prestige of a Penn State McKeesport coaching job. There can be only one real campus.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:15 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,124,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Just downtown & point state park alone can take a whole day though, especially for people who like architecture. and especially if you do a boat tour. regarding the other areas of town, most cities don't have a separate aviary, or buildings like the Cathedral of Learning. some have Strip District-like areas, but Pittsburgh's is more funky and unusual than most. also usually in the warm months, there are more weekend events and festivals to take people to as well. also, more people than I expected from out of town are impressed by South Side flats (I mean during the day or a weeknight evening, not a weekend night its too obnoxious )-- its not something a lot of cities have anything really like, especially with the Slopes overlooking it.
Boat tours are the best! And yes, the Slopes are cool.

Quote:
I think virtually every city has some sort of a natural history museum. They may call it something different; Denver renamed theirs "Denver Museum of Nature and Science" a few years back.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It is unique, but the "National" name is honorary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Aviary

Old 04-23-2019, 05:16 PM

8,090 posts, read 7,002,161 times
Quote:

i was actually thinking about nyc, boston, la, sf, so the comparison is on different level, and believe it or not, people will compare Pittsburgh to close by major city and it doesnt matter if we think it's reasonable or not, it's the fact that tourist will compare or just not visit at all.

when friends/family is planning a visit from other side of the earth, i always tell them to plan majority of their time in nyc/dc and spend 1-2 days at most for Pittsburgh. I just wont want take them to heinz history center or Phillips when they could spend their time in more popular attraction/sight in nyc or dc.
No, Pittsburgh does not compare to NY or DC in terms of attractions, but you compared Pittsburgh to
Quote:
Pittsburgh attractions are few and limited, you go to PNC park, heinz field, warhol museum, (whole central north side), point park, downtown and CMU, then incline at night. go to Fallingwater the next day and Pittsburgh Tour is complete....

i always take friend/family to church brewery though

Carnegie museum, Aviary, zoo/aquarium, mattress factory, science center and heinz history center are more of local entertainment to me. i would only take friend/family over if they need somewhere to kill some time....similar facility exist in almost every similar size city.
Frankly, we have more attractions than most, and we’re probably on par with Boston (where I lived before moving here).

Old 04-23-2019, 09:55 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,611,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i tend to go overboard, until the tourists can't wait to get away from this crazy guy who had all the answers....in my observations, though, most people are not interested in "way of life" tourism, but rather would like to see the attractions. in other words, i don't think they care about the Jewish temples or particularly stunning churches (we seem to have quite a trove, don't we?), but instead the art, the fun, the food....not that there isn't overlap.

SCR - I do hope you stick it out and find your way here. if anything, you are in a public job, meaning you have security and decent benefits (friends in the City government tell me the benefits arent THAT great, though). You are focused on the here and now, but who knows who or what opportunities come knocking. It is unexpected, but tends to happen to those who desire and are open to the possibilities. You'll make it beyond this plateau. I bet maybe 10 other people here were mired in stagnation (personal finances, i mean) during their younger years.

'cept Copanut...he gigolo-ed his way to the top, i bet.
Nah, just born at the right time and able to have no college debt upon graduation. Only gigolo-ed once when I got my girlfriend drunk enough to say yes.

As to tours, standard stuff for me: A car tour of various strip malls followed by dinner at the McKnight Red Lobster.

A friend of ours who moved to Phoenix visited a few years back with a new wife. We picked them up at the airport around 10PM and was able to show her the "view" coming through the tunnel, she was blown away. Throw in a Bucco game, 2 hour Clipper tour, The Strip on a Saturday, Mt Washington, just for starters. If a non-yinzer the museum and aviary, n'at.

Maybe SCR could get a job as a Greeter for the City, he'd be good at it.

And s-bot, yinz is a jagoff, na't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh