Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:46 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, I'm just bowled over! I can hardly type. You guys, all of you, are being very silly. I don't have your computer skills, so here:

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/d...orrection=true

Where my daughter got married: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1904&bih=952
Red Rocks is a Denver city park.
No doubt, Red Rocks is beautiful and I love hiking there. Much better than that sad city scape photo you posted before. But who cares about Denver on the Pittsburgh forum? You always do this.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
But you were talking about vacationing (and experiencing first-hand) right? My point is what's in Pittsburgh is much rarer than just seeing a mountain. Most people don't even need a vacation for the latter.
Everyone has different tastes. Going to an area with a mountain view for vacation doesn’t mean you’re just limited to only seeing a mountain. While I think Pittsburgh is a great place to visit, I don’t find it rare enough to suggest anyone take a vacation there.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm just bowled over! I can hardly type. You guys, all of you, are being very silly. I don't have your computer skills, so here:

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/d...orrection=true

Where my daughter got married: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1904&bih=952
Red Rocks is a Denver city park.
Which part of my message do you think that contradicts? I said I'm sure Denver has nice views even though those specific pictures didn't impress me.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
No doubt, Red Rocks is beautiful and I love hiking there. Much better than that sad city scape photo you posted before. But who cares about Denver on the Pittsburgh forum? You always do this.
Didn't you learn to "never say 'always' "? I was responding to the posts below, one of which was posted by you:

Quote:
If you like scenic views, it is not on par with Boston or any other US city - it is ahead of them all. I probably don’t even need to elaborate. You can’t get the kind of views anywhere else in the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I agree. With the number of attractions Pittsburgh has, you would think it was a bigger city. There are also a number of things outside of the city worth visiting if you don't mind wandering around. I don't understand why tourism isn't promoted more-- in my mind getting more people to see what the area has to offer might stop the stereotypes and help reverse the population loss.

The only city that comes to mind that has equal or better views is San Francisco.
Now yours is true, literally. You can't get the same kind of views of any city in some other city. However, if you mean that Pittsburgh's are the best, there are millions of people in the US who would disagree. To say that there is only one city with equal or better views is nuts, and very parochial.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Everyone has different tastes. Going to an area with a mountain view for vacation doesn’t mean you’re just limited to only seeing a mountain. While I think Pittsburgh is a great place to visit, I don’t find it rare enough to suggest anyone take a vacation there.
Well, most people who have lived here for years would be desensitized to the surroundings.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:02 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Well, most people who have lived here for years would be desensitized to the surroundings.
Agreed, but I still don’t find it rare enough to suggest it as a vacation spot.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:42 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Now yours is true, literally. You can't get the same kind of views of any city in some other city. However, if you mean that Pittsburgh's are the best, there are millions of people in the US who would disagree. To say that there is only one city with equal or better views is nuts, and very parochial.
Which city besides SF then? I've been to most of the major ones in 30 states (mostly road trips) and draw a blank except for SF. San Diego comes close. Los Angeles would come close if it wasn't smoggy- and it is lacking water too. I haven't been to Seattle, though. But I am partial to the eastern mountains. BTW I'm not from here, been here just over a year... and working to leave ASAP. That's not parochial, it's just you think my opinion is wrong.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:06 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
For someone who has never lived in Pittsburgh, the inclines and the view of downtown as well as the downtown itself with its layout and architecture were definitely one of the main attractions.

Museums for those who are interested in fine art and the history of human civilization will find invaluable parts of their collection which makes sense as these museums were created at a time when artifacts were traded (eh, pilfered) with ease and artworks made at the time were far less expensive to acquire and had far fewer people acquiring them. There's about a handful of US cities who can have collections like these and they essentially needed to have been booming and wealthy in the late 1800s to early 1900s (and that includes Pittsburgh and only a few other cities). Each of these museums have unique artworks and artifacts that are unique or at least very rare anywhere else. The buildings housing such are also pretty fantastic to boot.

The Andy Warhol Museum is a lot of Andy Warhol which is interesting enough to me, and it's actually sort of weird to me that it's in Pittsburgh (yes, I know he was born there) rather than in NYC since it seems so much like a museum that's encapsulating an era in NYC specifically.

PSO is having a great run with Manfred Honeck right now and so that is also worth a visit if interested in classical music.

Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens and the National Aviary are both worth a visit even if you're from a city that has large conservatories / botanical gardens or an aviary portion of a zoo.

I sort of want to visit just to see people hanging out in costume in the city during Anthrocon.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-24-2019 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 04:16 PM

37 posts, read 26,589 times
Hey be nice, don’t get too emotional in your discussion or too passionate about the topic, lest Yac gets his panties in a bunch and closes this thread too.

The life of a forum moderator is much like the life of a mall cop, when you have a bad day you can put the hat on and actually pretend like you’re serving some purpose.

Sorry Yac, in this country we have something called Freedom of Speech, please don’t run this board like the Soviet country you hail from.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Which city besides SF then? I've been to most of the major ones in 30 states (mostly road trips) and draw a blank except for SF. San Diego comes close. Los Angeles would come close if it wasn't smoggy- and it is lacking water too. I haven't been to Seattle, though. But I am partial to the eastern mountains. BTW I'm not from here, been here just over a year... and working to leave ASAP. That's not parochial, it's just you think my opinion is wrong.
Of the cities I've been to that have equal (but different) or better views-
Denver. Even my family from Pittsburgh thought/thinks (some are now gone) the mountains are awesome. My brother (Moon Twp) asked how we get any work done with the mountains to look at. My parents (Beaver Falls) were just in awe of them. The hospital where our kids were born is in west Boulder, close to the mountains, and my dad would always tell people back in Pittsburgh "They were born at the foot of the Rockies".
Portland, OR Similar to Pittsburgh with hills and trees, plus a couple rivers.
Great Falls, MT. Yes, smaller, but still impressive. The falls are really cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh