Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m going to try to explain it simply enough that even you can grasp it. The “mandatory” is for governments, not individuals. He is proposing that a higher government (state or federal) mandate that lower governments allow families to choose which schools their children can attend. No one is lowering the value of any child’s education. One would only think that unless they think the value lies in exclusivity.
People would just move out of the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
People would just move out of the county.
Bye

Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 PM

433 posts, read 287,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m going to try to explain it simply enough that even you can grasp it. The “mandatory” is for governments, not individuals. He is proposing that a higher government (state or federal) mandate that lower governments allow families to choose which schools their children can attend. No one is lowering the value of any child’s education. One would only think that unless they think the value lies in exclusivity.
It's funny and to some extent, interesting that people like you are such hypocrites. The first thing you do is attempt to insult people with sentences like "I’m going to try to explain it simply enough that even you can grasp it." Can't you, for once, pick yourself up off the floor and have a conversation with someone you may not agree with rather than starting off with an insult? I'm sure this forum is filled with posts by you attacking others for doing the same thing. And it would be you who cries loudest when what you preach to others, suddenly affects you. You remind me of the folks in Hollywood screaming and inciting violence in the name of open borders, the same people who have giant walls, fences, security systems and armed guards, the people that would never open their own doors but expect others to do so.

I don't think it's difficult to understand but I will slow it down for you: I work hard and sacrifice so that my children can go to a decent school. That's why I agreed to pay more for my smaller house. I would rather have my smaller house in a good school district than a big house in a lousy district or a new car or multiple vacations throughout the year. This is my choice and I'm sure others have similar priorities. This is what I value. These are life choices. However, not everyone would choose to live life like this and I wouldn't force them to. I don.t want your "mandatory" open door policy heaped upon me and my family so their quality of education goes down. If you do, I will move, simple as that. Eventually, you will be left with sub par schools and a shrinking tax base. Take a look around you.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
It's funny and to some extent, interesting that people like you are such hypocrites. The first thing you do is attempt to insult people with sentences like "I’m going to try to explain it simply enough that even you can grasp it." Can't you, for once, pick yourself up off the floor and have a conversation with someone you may not agree with rather than starting off with an insult? I'm sure this forum is filled with posts by you attacking others for doing the same thing. And it would be you who cries loudest when what you preach to others, suddenly affects you. You remind me of the folks in Hollywood screaming and inciting violence in the name of open borders, the same people who have giant walls, fences, security systems and armed guards, the people that would never open their own doors but expect others to do so.

I don't think it's difficult to understand but I will slow it down for you: I work hard and sacrifice so that my children can go to a decent school. That's why I agreed to pay more for my smaller house. I would rather have my smaller house in a good school district than a big house in a lousy district or a new car or multiple vacations throughout the year. This is my choice and I'm sure others have similar priorities. This is what I value. These are life choices. However, not everyone would choose to live life like this and I wouldn't force them to. I don.t want your "mandatory" open door policy heaped upon me and my family so their quality of education goes down. If you do, I will move, simple as that. Eventually, you will be left with sub par schools and a shrinking tax base. Take a look around you.
You get it. Perfectly said.

I still feel it isn't so much the teachers, it is the students/parents that create a great school district. Great parenting focused on bettering their child's education. That is why I wanted my child to attend FC district. Sure I could have had a huge home someone else, but education was my number one priority. It is a lot of sacrifice. There are super cheap homes in the FC district as well as other pretty good districts, so if someone wants the district for cheap it is there for the taking.

I would move if there is open boundaries for schooling as we all know what would happen. Down the tubes just like we have seen time and time again with these horrible mergers. Look at Woodland Hills. Wow!

Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
I don't think it's difficult to understand but I will slow it down for you: I work hard and sacrifice so that my children can go to a decent school. That's why I agreed to pay more for my smaller house.
What's truly sad about all of this is that some of the areas with the highest school taxes like Wilkinsburg or Woodland Hills do not have top quality schools. The main issue here is the Pennsylvania school funding formula and lack of mandatory open enrollment with transportation. This has worked very well in Minnesota and could really help high performing kids that are stuck in a bad school district.

Open PA Gov - School Taxes

Old 06-13-2019, 02:47 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
What's truly sad about all of this is that some of the areas with the highest school taxes like Wilkinsburg or Woodland Hills do not have top quality schools. The main issue here is the Pennsylvania school funding formula and lack of mandatory open enrollment with transportation. This has worked very well in Minnesota and could really help high performing kids that are stuck in a bad school district.

Just another angle on merging that as we has seen doesn’t work. Look at Edgewood and what happened to them when that idiot judge killed their school. Now the parents have to pay for private school which in turn lowers property values and tax revenue.

There is local proof that merging destroys schools. When teachers become security guards instead of teachers game over.

It’s all about parenting.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post

How exactly does mandatory open enrollment with transportation work? It is difficult enough to provide transportation within one school district. Does the bus drive pick kids up and ask them what school they attend? Seems like an impossible task.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
How exactly does mandatory open enrollment with transportation work? It is difficult enough to provide transportation within one school district. Does the bus drive pick kids up and ask them what school they attend? Seems like an impossible task.
Tacoma, Washington does it with a district of over 30,000 students.

https://www.tacomaschools.org/tkhi/Pages/default.aspx

Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
The sad thing about this thread is everyone acts like the kids have a choice as to what school they go to. They don’t. Their parents can try to get into a better school district, but we basically tell children that their quality of the education they deserve is based on the zip code their parents choose/can afford to live in. We don’t value children or education; we value the decisions made by, the hard work of, or luck bestowed upon their parents.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
The sad thing about this thread is everyone acts like the kids have a choice as to what school they go to. They don’t. Their parents can try to get into a better school district, but we basically tell children that their quality of the education they deserve is based on the zip code their parents choose/can afford to live in. We don’t value children or education; we value the decisions made by, the hard work of, or luck bestowed upon their parents.
But don’t you see, giving those kids a good education somehow harms the children of more affluent parents. 🙄
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh