Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 04:38 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,068,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post
Obviously a relevant question for any intelligent discussion.

City Paper had a good article debunking the hysteria in this thread.

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=15866130

The hysteria over crime downtown is misguided and completely emotional.

there is no 'hysteria'. some may be alarmed, and that is because there is concern for our metro area.

this town has only had one or two periods of intense, constant violence, unlike numerous other cities.

i feel the report by the city paper, and calling it 'hysteria' is a prevention measure in case someone points out that these incidents are by lower economic class people or drug users. then there you go, pandora's box is opened. so in a way, this unusual crime mini-spree (not to appear hysterical, here!) is minimized because of that uncomfortable discussion.

in a neighborhood - that's one thing. but downtown is like the crossroads for all types. so this was an unusual string of incidents that raises an eyebrow, one would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 05:15 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,322,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
there is no 'hysteria'. some may be alarmed, and that is because there is concern for our metro area.

this town has only had one or two periods of intense, constant violence, unlike numerous other cities.

i feel the report by the city paper, and calling it 'hysteria' is a prevention measure in case someone points out that these incidents are by lower economic class people or drug users. then there you go, pandora's box is opened. so in a way, this unusual crime mini-spree (not to appear hysterical, here!) is minimized because of that uncomfortable discussion.

in a neighborhood - that's one thing. but downtown is like the crossroads for all types. so this was an unusual string of incidents that raises an eyebrow, one would say.
Pretty much. I'ts all about these people's political views. It's politically incorrect or something to talk about violence downtown and what a shady scene the Wood Street station area is, so they'll try to shut down anyone who dares to mention it.

And I'd lay good money that these people don't spend much time walking around downtown at night. Or probably during the day either.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:28 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,268,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Pretty much. I'ts all about these people's political views. It's politically incorrect or something to talk about violence downtown and what a shady scene the Wood Street station area is, so they'll try to shut down anyone who dares to mention it.

And I'd lay good money that these people don't spend much time walking around downtown at night. Or probably during the day either.
Bingo....and in many cases, their standards consider it normal behavior.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:59 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,692,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post

Yes. I’m black and won’t go down there myself at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo....and in many cases, their standards consider it normal behavior.
It’s shameful people have accepted this. Pittsburghs downtown is tiny. We aren’t talking about a downtown like NY, Philly or even Detroit. Downtown will just become undesirable and business will leave or choose elsewhere. It is that simple

Old 10-25-2019, 09:54 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,782,327 times
I tried to bring this up on another relevant thread in the US forum, but didn't get really any response about violence at the mass tranist stations. This was in midwest systems, but they included Pittsburgh and Buffalo even so.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...systems-9.html

but, I really doubt it will have any net effect, unless it keeps happening on a regular basis. I just doubt it will.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post

City Paper had a good article.
That would be a first to be honest. I'll try and read it though.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:34 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,692,860 times
I found this weeks crime report. The central business district, southside flats and the strip district lead the city in crime. Surprisingly, crime in the strip district seems to be growing.

I know this is about the wood street incident, but downtown appears to be one of the top three with crime on a consistent basis.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoodlin...t-in-the-trend

Old 10-26-2019, 02:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I found this weeks crime report. The central business district, southside flats and the strip district lead the city in crime. Surprisingly, crime in the strip district seems to be growing.

I know this is about the wood street incident, but downtown appears to be one of the top three with crime on a consistent basis.

Downtown is becoming seedy again. Peduto doesn’t support the police. Just the way it goes. Maybe we could get Giuliani to come here and clean this place up. Stop, question and frisk would be a start.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,268,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Downtown is becoming seedy again. Peduto doesn’t support the police. Just the way it goes. Maybe we could get Giuliani to come here and clean this place up. Stop, question and frisk would be a start.
Great idea, but don’t see it happening.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:58 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,068,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post

well, the article states:

Strip District experienced the highest growth in crime.

that probably means the Strip crime incidents are so rare, that just a couple creates a greater GROWTH in the rate. not time yet to throw out the Strip.

as far as the flats go, i hear from acquaintances young enough and/or beautiful enough to want to go there for night life that it IS bad. a couple females, and i even heard Val from the WDVE morning show say they used to go to their cars without a thought, but no more.
not my personal perspective - just insight from what i hear from carson street urchins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh