Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i ran out of free views! can you please cut/paste the important parts of the story?

that stinks - i thought that was an exciting project that would create a vitality on the recently paved Smithfield Street. well, that was - what? - maybe four years ago now?

how does this happen? but i havent seen the story, so maybe that has been answered.
Basically, the original developer (CORE Realty) backed out. In Fall 2019 Fontainebleau took over as the new developer. Now Fontainebleau has also backed out, but supposedly a yet-to-be-named "major developer" has now stepped in to give it a third try.

About half the apartments are finished. Some are occupied, and a few residents are quoted in the article as being upset because there have been rodent infestations, non-working elevators, and their promised amenities were never delivered. Two of the tenants, a PNC executive who moved into the building with his wife after selling their home in Mt. Lebanon, are considering breaking their lease early and relocating.

There is also some sort of kerfuffle I still don't understand between the Even Hotel in the building and some sort of extended short-stay operator competing against each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 10:14 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Two of the tenants, a PNC executive who moved into the building with his wife after selling their home in Mt. Lebanon, are considering breaking their lease early and relocating.

i hope they don't, but I would not blame them. They opted for a no commute life. They gave up probably a lot of floor space for any advantages they could have gained by living in town. They probably have good income - exactly the type of residents we would need in downtown (and in the city in general - for tax revenue), and now they have broken promises and rats in the hallway.

Couldn't the mayor's office, or SOME office, DO something? I don't understand why there is sometimes a call to action, and then other times, things are left to rot.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Covid is taking its toll.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:02 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Covid is taking its toll.
Been taking its toll.

Lots of peoples lives ruined and a crashed economy due to extreme panic and overreaction by “experts”. Likely to go down as one of the biggest blunders in history.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:19 PM

994 posts, read 502,374 times
Quote:
There is also some sort of kerfuffle I still don't understand between the Even Hotel in the building and some sort of extended short-stay operator competing against each other
That is extremely odd, unless it was a dual branded effort.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:08 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Been taking its toll.

Lots of peoples lives ruined and a crashed economy due to extreme panic and overreaction by “experts”. Likely to go down as one of the biggest blunders in history.
Couldn’t agree more. A very accurate statement indeed. You are going to have cities that end up big winners. However I’m worried about Pittsburgh. It had the best decade in a lifetime around here. The growth is fragile. This could push us way back down. Acceleration of job losses in population decline that won’t recover again during our lifetimes. An unexpected event with the worst overreaction we could possibly have. It has to be the worst blunder in the history of this country.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Couldn’t agree more. A very accurate statement indeed. You are going to have cities that end up big winners. However I’m worried about Pittsburgh. It had the best decade in a lifetime around here. The growth is fragile. This could push us way back down. Acceleration of job losses in population decline that won’t recover again during our lifetimes. An unexpected event with the worst overreaction we could possibly have. It has to be the worst blunder in the history of this country.
What happens, happens. Worrying about constant doom and gloom isn’t going to change anything. If it gets bad, move to a better area.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:54 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times
The saga continues. How many years is this now? Crazy. It seems like this development will never get righted. Endless fights and sue happy people. Let’s continue to try to get Wilkinsburg and others to join this party.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202006190069

Old 06-19-2020, 12:47 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
All that red..downtown needs a better grocery but not Target not the right fit. Something a little classier perhaps.

I guess the return of the Tic Toc was just hot air. I cannot recall who promised it would return..?

Loved that place. Almost as iconic as the clock.
Even the biggest cities have target downtown.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:26 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Even the biggest cities have target downtown.

Ummm. so what does this mean exactly. Target is now a defintion of culture. lol; Its cheap crap. that's what it is. yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh