Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:58 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Okay lets look at the facts:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-7.pdf

Less people are leaving PA, 12 per 100,000 and CA is 24 per 100,000. But suggesting that people are leaving California in "droves" is just as true as suggesting people are leaving the north-east in "droves" (25 per 100,000). But I did think PA and CA had fairly similar out-migration numbers, but PA is doing better. Regardless, the facts do not indicate that people are leaving California "in droves". So I suggest you "should check your facts before you post". Also, as far as I know this is the most recent report.
You can find more recent Census data, but I'm happy to use the numbers you cite. As you now admit, you didn't have your facts straight when you posted about comparing out-migration from CA to that of PA.

You made a claim without knowing if it was true or not.

As for leaving California in droves, no state came even close to the number of out-migrants during the 1995-2000 period. Of course I'm talking about the total number, not actual rate, but the fact remains more people left California than any other state (10% of total out-migration for that period).

I think that could be interpreted as "leaving in droves", but at least I didn't fabricate my assertion like you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
You can find more recent Census data, but I'm happy to use the numbers you cite
Then post it, I couldn't find it out census.gov.

Quote:
You made a claim without knowing if it was true or not.
No, I made a claim that I thought was true and I was wrong. There was nothing "fabricated" I didn't just make it up, I remembered things inaccurately. I have no problem admitting when I say something wrong though, I don't pretend to have a prefect memory. You on the other hand......

Quote:
As for leaving California in droves, no state came even close to the number of out-migrants during the 1995-2000 period.
This is silly, California has the highest population the figure to look at is per 1,000.

Quote:
I think that could be interpreted as "leaving in droves", but at least I didn't fabricate my assertion like you did.
Then people are leaving the north-east in huge herds! It must be empty by now!
Just look at that the numbers! Anyhow its cute how you try to interpret away what you said....

Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Then post it, I couldn't find it out census.gov.

No, I made a claim that I thought was true and I was wrong. There was nothing "fabricated" I didn't just make it up, I remembered things inaccurately. I have no problem admitting when I say something wrong though, I don't pretend to have a prefect memory. You on the other hand......

This is silly, California has the highest population the figure to look at is per 1,000.

Then people are leaving the north-east in huge herds! It must be empty by now!
Just look at that the numbers! Anyhow its cute how you try to interpret away what you said....
Cute is saying how you misremembered. Either way, it was a false assertion and at best was a sloppy attempt at your part to make a point.

It is difficult to discuss any issue if you are too busy fudging the facts to suit your point.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
And in terms of domestic migration, those two start-up hot beds are losers, bigger losers than Pittsburgh.
Also, I didn't want to bother with this before, but since you're so considered about fabricating things:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BAOCU1DUN.DTL

The out-migration from the bay area has slowed dramatically in recent years, in 2006 SF lost ~400 people. So what were you saying again....

Old 05-27-2008, 08:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
globalburgh,

I think your assessment of Humanoid is correct, and I might suggest that under the circumstances there is little point engaging such a person in an extended discussion.

Incidentally, I was once given basically this same advice about this same poster myself, so I am just passing along the favor.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Aren't we supposed to refrain from personal attacks? I don't particularly like talking about people as if they aren't here.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM

136 posts, read 166,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
globalburgh,

I think your assessment of Humanoid is correct, and I might suggest that under the circumstances there is little point engaging such a person in an extended discussion.

Incidentally, I was once given basically this same advice about this same poster myself, so I am just passing along the favor.
Amen Brian

Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Also, I didn't want to bother with this before, but since you're so considered about fabricating things:

Santa Clara County, S.F. lead Bay Area in population growth

The out-migration from the bay area has slowed dramatically in recent years, in 2006 SF lost ~400 people. So what were you saying again....
I'll try a visual.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Seriously keep the attacks on my character to private messages.

Last edited by Humanoid; 05-28-2008 at 12:00 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times
Quote:
Seriously keep the attacks on my character to private messages.
I know none of you personally, so I have no stake in an outcome here...so here is my unbiased unsolicited opinion.

I have to agree with Humaniod. It seems to me, his only crime is hurting peoples feelings.

I've run into similar situations many times. Some one says some nonsensical drivel, I point out the nonsense, original poster gets their feelings hurt because they were wrong, starts throwing personal insults, but somehow I'm the bad guy.....what's that about?

I could understand if Humanoid was saying "I hate Pittsburgh and everyone in it because you're all fat and ugly"....Instead he's saying, "I hate Pittburgh, the business climate is unfriendly, there are population out-migration issues, etc etc, blah blah". He then debates the facts, root causes, yadda yadda. As this thread shows, if he's wrong, he admits his mistake....and I don't recall any personal attacks from him.

.....so what precisely is the problem. I would love for some one to explain it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh