Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 09:13 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times

Advertisements

FYI, Allegheny County is one of the most least densely populated urban counties over 1million in the nation. There is by and large huge swaths that are still forested. Now one can argue the hilly topography which is true.

I still think this county and city could and should do better. It’s the age old stagnant economy and low wages keeping this area back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 09:59 AM

611 posts, read 365,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Most growth is north and west of the city. Pretty much the I-79 corridor is where most of the growth is.

The eastern suburbs are doing better with population than expected. Outside of upper st Clair I’d say the south hills is the biggest disappointment. I expected the eastern Allegheny county burbs to tank completely. I was wrong. Better than expected and better than south hills.

Outside of Mt. Lebo and USC is the eastern burbs more desirable than the south hills now? Thoughts?

They are more mature burbs. Where would all the growth be able to happen?

Old 03-07-2022, 10:45 AM

369 posts, read 463,337 times
Also of note is the population decline along the rivers. Not just the Mon (expected), but nearly the entire length of all three major rivers with the exception of a smallish section of the Allegheny and Ohio.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:15 AM

220 posts, read 146,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Also of note is the population decline along the rivers. Not just the Mon (expected), but nearly the entire length of all three major rivers with the exception of a smallish section of the Allegheny and Ohio.
Yeah you're right, the rivers seem to be where the largest declines are. Mostly the Mon as expected, just kind of with the exception of Jefferson Hills being on part of it. The lower Allegheny, Ohara, Harmar, and Oakmont did pretty well. Not much growth past there though. Highlands area is usually more comprable to the Elizabeth Forward/South Allegheny fringes of the county. Those losses maybe weren't quite as big as years before but still happened. The Ohio likely mostly had more people move into the western suburbs from the towns and areas right along the river. The south hills did do better than expected, other than the Mon area, the only area that had slight decline was Dormont/Baldwin Township/Castle Shannon. Although, that was improved from years before too. The east suburbs were mixed but better than I though they would've been. Plum's stagnant growth may have sort of come as a surprise as they have built many new homes within Plum Borough over the past decade. Maybe it was offset by natural decline in the older neighborhoods of the borough though.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:22 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
I don't think population declined along the Ohio, TBH. If you look at the list of "combined municipal population change" (places the OP couldn't break down due to shared census tracks) there was growth for Sewickley Heights, Sewickley Hills, Aleppo Township, Ben Avon Heights, Glen Osborne, Glenfield, Haysville, and Killbuck Township as a whole. Thus it's really only a handful of areas along the Ohio which shrunk - all of which are built out, and most of which are lower-middle to working class.

The shrinking along the Allegheny is not surprising at all, because the independent municipalities once you get north of Fox Chapel School district are all pretty economically destressed. That whole area might as well be in Westmoreland County.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
They are more mature burbs. Where would all the growth be able to happen?
More families and younger people moving in. There is a lot of undeveloped land in South Park, USC, bethel park, around pleasant hills and across the river from Elizabeth to the westmoreland county line is all pasture or forest on 51.

But then again I think pittsburgh is unique due to topography. The vacant land may be cost prohibitive to build on due to being hilly.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
More families and younger people moving in. There is a lot of undeveloped land in South Park, USC, bethel park, around pleasant hills and across the river from Elizabeth to the westmoreland county line is all pasture or forest on 51.

But then again I think pittsburgh is unique due to topography. The vacant land may be cost prohibitive to build on due to being hilly.
Yeah most of the Allegheny from past the Turnpike to Buffalo Township across the Butler County line.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpens1 View Post
Yeah most of the Allegheny from past the Turnpike to Buffalo Township across the Butler County line.
I mean the city of Pittsburgh density along with some immediate surrounding suburbs is what? 4,000-7,000 per sq mile? Overall Allegheny County is 1,713 people per square mile which is not really dense for a population of 1.25 million. We aren’t even in one of the top 65 urban counties for population density in the country. Delaware County and Philly county are more dense than Allegheny. And Montgomery and bucks may be as well. I haven’t looked it up.

Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) is more dense roughly 1000 more people per sq mile than Allegheny. And Franklin County (Columbus) is 2,400 people per sq mile.

Only Erie County NY (Buffalo) appears to have more vacant and unused land it’s actually half of Allegheny with density 950 people sq mile.

I just think Allegheny county is huge land wise and you don’t have to go far to find huge chunks of undeveloped land. My guess is the eastern suburbs are the most built out area until you reach plum.

I think too that if the job market and wages were better here this city and metro would grow at a decent clip. Maybe not as fast as Columbus but at least a respectable amount. The forested and unused land in Allegheny County would fill in.

I think Chris Briem noted that as a metro whole, including the surrounding counties that Pittsburgh is the most least densely populated large metro in the country. Lots of unused land and development that stopped around little coal and steel towns likely due to the lack of long term job prospects

Old 03-08-2022, 07:43 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
After digging through more of the data, I now know exactly where the unexpected population growth came from in the inner southern suburbs: Asian immigrants and refugees. In fact, many of the southern suburbs now have double-digit Asian population percentages. Here's the list of Allegheny County suburbs that are at least 5.0% Asian:

Asian population percentage (2020)

16.9% Franklin Park
15.0% Marshall Township
14.2% Scott Township
13.2% Whitehall
12.3% South Fayette Township
12.2% Baldwin
9.4% Upper St. Clair
7.5% Monroeville
7.4% Fox Chapel
7.1% Blawnox
7.1% Brentwood
6.8% Pine Township
6.6% McCandless
6.5% Castle Shannon
6.3% Green Tree
6.0% O'Hara Township and Sharpsburg
6.0% Carnegie
5.9% Aspinwall
5.5% Indiana Township
5.1% Moon Township
5.1% Robinson Township

There are many other municipalities in Allegheny County that are at least 2.0% Asian, but I don't have time to list them right now. I will in the future when I break down the data by race.

Outside of Allegheny County, these are the only municipalities with Asian population percentages that move the needle:

Asian population percentage (2020)

5.7% Slippery Rock
5.0% Delmont, Export and Murrysville
4.3% Cranberry Township
2.9% Adams Township, Callery, Mars and Valencia
2.3% Peters Township
2.2% Cecil Township

Otherwise, there are only two census tracts that are at least 2.5% Asian: one in Slippery Rock Township that is defined by the Slippery Rock University campus, and one in Hempfield Township that includes the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg campus and adjacent areas near Westmoreland Mall.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I mean the city of Pittsburgh density along with some immediate surrounding suburbs is what? 4,000-7,000 per sq mile? Overall Allegheny County is 1,713 people per square mile which is not really dense for a population of 1.25 million. We aren’t even in one of the top 65 urban counties for population density in the country. Delaware County and Philly county are more dense than Allegheny. And Montgomery and bucks may be as well. I haven’t looked it up.

Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) is more dense roughly 1000 more people per sq mile than Allegheny. And Franklin County (Columbus) is 2,400 people per sq mile.

Only Erie County NY (Buffalo) appears to have more vacant and unused land it’s actually half of Allegheny with density 950 people sq mile.

I just think Allegheny county is huge land wise and you don’t have to go far to find huge chunks of undeveloped land. My guess is the eastern suburbs are the most built out area until you reach plum.

I think too that if the job market and wages were better here this city and metro would grow at a decent clip. Maybe not as fast as Columbus but at least a respectable amount. The forested and unused land in Allegheny County would fill in.

I think Chris Briem noted that as a metro whole, including the surrounding counties that Pittsburgh is the most least densely populated large metro in the country. Lots of unused land and development that stopped around little coal and steel towns likely due to the lack of long term job prospects
Montgomery is the same as Allegheny County. Bucks slightly behind, appears to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh