Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:58 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
dont scoff. 'rebranding' could be beneficial to getting more riders.

i recently mentioned to a few friends from elsewhere - all sububanites and none of which has every lived in an inner city - that i was tempted to apply to the Port Authority to be a bus driver (regular hours, predictability, etc.).

they were abhorred, actually. say what??? they gave me the impression they think its to live dangerously being a public bus driver.

ive taken the bus maybe TWICE within the last almost 3 years now. i really miss it....but daily routine does not permit it.

edit: the point i wanted to make, but didnt before posting, was that this is an example of how rebranding may be needed to change perceptions, and in the long run, have the service be more integral to more pittsburghers who think nothing of it as an advantageous means to get around.
I don’t recall there being a rider shortage before shutting it down and vaccine mandates causing routes to get decreased.

Or perhaps they gave the impression because it sounds like a lousy job all around, especially for little pay.

Drop the ridiculous mandates, open more routes up, hence more riders. I can’t imagine anyone saying they’re going to ride the bus because of a name change. If I had to ride the bus I couldn’t care less what the name is, just get me where I need to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 06:04 AM

987 posts, read 279,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I don’t recall there being a rider shortage before shutting it down and vaccine mandates causing routes to get decreased.

Or perhaps they gave the impression because it sounds like a lousy job all around, especially for little pay.

Drop the ridiculous mandates, open more routes up, hence more riders. I can’t imagine anyone saying they’re going to ride the bus because of a name change. If I had to ride the bus I couldn’t care less what the name is, just get me where I need to go.
It’s actually a good job with good pay, really good overtime pay and great benefits. I know a few people who work as drivers.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It’s actually a good job with good pay, really good overtime pay and great benefits. I know a few people who work as drivers.
Depends on what one considers good pay and if one has interest in working overtime, for what sounds like a lousy job.

Great benefits are plus. What route do you drive?

Old 06-14-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Depends on what one considers good pay and if one has interest in working overtime, for what sounds like a lousy job.

Great benefits are plus. What route do you drive?
I don’t work there. I said, I have a few friends that do. It’s a union job, so the benefits and pay are good. I guess if you’re lazy it’s not as good, but they will often get double or triple overtime pay, and things like ; if your shift runs a bit long or starts a bit early you get a full 8 hour shift pay, etc. the guys I know love the job. They like interacting with the people and the job itself is pretty easy.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I don’t work there. I said, I have a few friends that do. It’s a union job, so the benefits and pay are good. I guess if you’re lazy it’s not as good, but they will often get double or triple overtime pay, and things like ; if your shift runs a bit long or starts a bit early you get a full 8 hour shift pay, etc. the guys I know love the job. They like interacting with the people and the job itself is pretty easy.
Having to pay double and triple overtime shows just how desirable it is, as it’s obvious they can’t get drivers…and having ridiculous mandates have obviously made it worse or folks would be lined up for the job if it was so great…but if you and your guys are happy with it great for you.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:29 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Quote:
Having to pay double and triple overtime shows just how desirable it is, as it’s obvious they can’t get drivers…and having ridiculous mandates have obviously made it worse or folks would be lined up for the job if it was so great…but if you and your guys are happy with it great for you.
Exactly. "Step right up! Jeopardize your health by getting an unsafe vaccine and we'll reward you with a PAT Job! Oh and one more thing ... if you get injured or die from the shot you have no legal recourse against us, the manufacturer, the pharmacy kid who jabbed you, the government, etc, etc...".

Old 06-14-2022, 08:17 AM

468 posts, read 123,833 times
Quote:
Having to pay double and triple overtime shows just how desirable it is.
Not really interested in the larger issue, but help me out with your reasoning here -- if the job was more desirable, people would want to work longer hours, for less pay? Do you inhabit our universe?

Old 06-14-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Having to pay double and triple overtime shows just how desirable it is
I think it shows that their Union was good at negotiating their last contract.

Quote:
…but if you and your guys are happy with it great for you.
Told you I don’t work there. There’s no big conspiracy where I’m trying to hide that I work for pat or whatever they’re called. I just happen to play cards with a few drivers.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I think it shows that their Union was good at negotiating their last contract.

Told you I don’t work there. There’s no big conspiracy where I’m trying to hide that I work for pat or whatever they’re called. I just happen to play cards with a few drivers.
Not much choice when you can’t find drivers.

Sure thing

Old 06-14-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Not much choice when you can’t find drivers.

Sure thing
Lol, you’ve always been a weirdo, but this is a new level. What in the world do you imagine would I have to gain by lying about being a bus driver?? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh