Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 11:15 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The new shelter is going to be finished in a few months, which will help somewhat.
But only somewhat won’t solve the problem, and that’s months away. Putting them up will solve the problem now until the shelter is opened to help even more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 11:31 AM

135 posts, read 36,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
But only somewhat won’t solve the problem, and that’s months away. Putting them up will solve the problem now until the shelter is opened to help even more
Public policy is imperfect and involves compromises, contradictions, and unintended/unforeseen consequences, and certainly there will always be those who will find pleasure in taking a contrarian position of constant criticism, rather than offering any real solutions, beyond empty platitudes.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:53 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
My guess is that at least half of those in tents will refuse a shelter and prefer to live outdoors, littering and doing their business to the detriment of the rest of us working taxpayers. Doubt this will be a long-term solution.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,689 times
Quote:
The new shelter is going to be finished in a few months, which will help somewhat.

They hope to open around the 15th, which is when most of the other local shelters open as well.

https://secondavenuecommons.org/

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/so...s/202211010100

Old 11-14-2022, 12:19 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum412 View Post
I heard there are more camps popping up all over the city. I don't get around to all the different neighborhoods like I used to. What camps have you seen?
I know of a few in the Northside and along the river trails.
Medics and police are called to the Gaineyvilles very frequently.
What is the current administration doing to help these folks?

really? where? not one media source in pitt has this...unless its buried well

Old 11-14-2022, 12:25 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
It was supposed to be done in October, and, allegedly, it is now on target to be completed by the end of this month. I work across the street. Judging by the jacked-up pickups still pulling into our parking garage with me at 5:30 AM they are indeed still doing work on it. I am not sure what the hold-up is. I feel like they have been building this for over a year-and-a-half now. I feel like Japan could have had this done in three months.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:32 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It was supposed to be done in October, and, allegedly, it is now on target to be completed by the end of this month. I work across the street. Judging by the jacked-up pickups still pulling into our parking garage with me at 5:30 AM they are indeed still doing work on it. I am not sure what the hold-up is. I feel like they have been building this for over a year-and-a-half now. I feel like Japan could have had this done in three months.
It's funny for me to think you only work a few blocks away from me now. Makes me wonder if I've seen you in Gasoline Street Coffee Company or something.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Someone or something obviously held it up. Have you inquired as to who that was? Did you ask the folks in the jacked-up pickups?

Japan probably can in Japan and many places, but unlikely in Pittsburgh. Delays, demands, dragging feet, red tape, etc…, are nothing new…and let’s. not forget the hUUUge supply shortage of materials we’ve seen the last 19 months and the costs that have come with it.

In the meantime, hopefully folks that are so concerned with the homeless folks are giving them their disposable income, donating, taking them in, etc…, to help them out.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:29 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Someone or something obviously held it up. Have you inquired as to who that was? Did you ask the folks in the jacked-up pickups?

Japan probably can in Japan and many places, but unlikely in Pittsburgh. Delays, demands, dragging feet, red tape, etc…, are nothing new…and let’s. not forget the hUUUge supply shortage of materials we’ve seen the last 19 months and the costs that have come with it.

In the meantime, hopefully folks that are so concerned with the homeless folks are giving them their disposable income, donating, taking them in, etc…, to help them out.
I was widely reported that supply chain delays caused the late opening. Construction delays are common place as of late. I believe they are waiting on lighting fixtures and electrical sockets.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I was widely reported that supply chain delays caused the late opening. Construction delays are common place as of late. I believe they are waiting on lighting fixtures and electrical sockets.
Well there you have it. Thanks for the info. Even Japan couldn’t overcome that here, and the area should be thankful for the folks driving those pickup trucks that are working and putting in hours to accomplish the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh