Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 07:45 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by screechingweasel View Post
This might seem like a weird question, but why is homelessness so much of a problem in cold climates? Why don't they all just ride the rails down south for the winter? WTF?
Homelessness is not a big problem in cold climates:

It's basically a west-coast phenomena outside of NYC and DC. And in those cases (like all eastern/midwestern cities) the vast majority of homeless people are sheltered.

Pennsylvania as a whole is estimated to be around 13% unsheltered (2,000 out of a roughly 13,500 total).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 07:57 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I never quite understood it myself. If I was going to be experiencing homelessness long-term and/or indefinitely I would probably "snowbird". I would start walking south several miles per day in like September until I was in the South by November. I would then start walking north several miles per day in like March until I was in the North by May. That way I would rarely have to experience living outdoors in harsh weather. I understand not everyone is able-bodied, but the vast majority of the long-term homeless I see Downtown everyday seem to move around just fine.
At some point you will have to eat and drink. Cities provide population density for panhandling. How would a traveling homeless person sustain themselves on the road? Where would the get food and drink?

Old 12-07-2022, 08:00 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
At some point you will have to eat and drink. Cities provide population density for panhandling. How would a traveling homeless person sustain themselves on the road? Where would the get food and drink?
True. I thought maybe they would pack enough food/drink to carry with them in a backpack to make due for several days at a time while walking between populated areas and panhandling again. I mean that's what I would do to avoid suffering in a harsh climate for half the year in a certain part of the country.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
True. I thought maybe they would pack enough food/drink to carry with them in a backpack to make due for several days at a time while walking between populated areas and panhandling again. I mean that's what I would do to avoid suffering in a harsh climate for half the year in a certain part of the country.
They're notoriously lazy of course, so the littlest amount of energy they expend to panhandle (mooch) the better.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
They're notoriously lazy of course, so the littlest amount of energy they expend to panhandle (mooch) the better.
They are obviously mentally I’ll and incapable of managing life. Sane individuals do not live on sidewalks. That is insanity and or undiagnosed mental illness. There have always been segments of society that are not capable of handling life which is unfortunate. To refer to a sick person as a mooch is out of touch with reality, dismissive and mean spirited.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:45 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
Most of them are drug addicts, alienated from their families. They choose to live on the street so they can keep using drugs. They're not homeless.

Tell them about all the benefits druggies get in California when giving them a bus ticket. The streets out there are paved with fentanyl.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Most of them are drug addicts, alienated from their families. They choose to live on the street so they can keep using drugs. They're not homeless.

Tell them about all the benefits druggies get in California when giving them a bus ticket. The streets out there are paved with fentanyl.
The streets here in the Pittsburgh metro are paved with fentanyl and meth.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:06 AM

Again, anyone who thinks Pittsburgh has a notable homeless problem hasn't been to any cities in the western U.S. in the last 10-20 years. It's an order of magnitude worse out there.

Allegheny County as a whole has only around 900 homeless people at any given time. Most of them are transitory homeless or in shelters. The actual encampment folks and those that sleep on the streets are maybe 300 tops. I see some of the same ones multiple times a week, which shows it's not an overall huge population.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
They are obviously mentally I’ll and incapable of managing life. Sane individuals do not live on sidewalks. That is insanity and or undiagnosed mental illness. There have always been segments of society that are not capable of handling life which is unfortunate. To refer to a sick person as a mooch is out of touch with reality, dismissive and mean spirited.
It's not a popular viewpoint on the left or right, but the rise of visible homelessness in the U.S. again coincided with the end of involuntary commitment of those with mental illness/addiction in the 1970s.

The only way you get some of these people off the streets is against their will, for better or worse.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:08 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Homeless don't move around because they are either mentally ill or they don't want to reestablish new connections for their drugs or ways to raise money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh