Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 09:07 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,960,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
If memory serves me correctly, this tune was written and produced by Chic's Nile Rodgers. Great song then and great song now. Has become a standard at wedding receptions as well. Sad, this was 44 years ago. The last time the Pirates were in the world series. Long live Pops Stargell.
Yeah I was 4 years old then. My uncle is a 1979 All Star pirate and was one of the historic "all black line up". This song was played during every family event. I was so young and assumed it was "our" song. I loved Chic and really like Sister Sledge's Nights Over Egypt.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:27 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Yeah I was 4 years old then. My uncle is a 1979 All Star pirate and was one of the historic "all black line up". This song was played during every family event. I was so young and assumed it was "our" song. I loved Chic and really like Sister Sledge's Nights Over Egypt.
Ok, that is cool. Now this begs the question, which Pirate was your uncle? You can't leave us hanging. I'm a baseball junkie from way back. Or you can PM it to me and I'll promise to keep in confidential.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:35 AM

Reni Stennett

Old 04-07-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Reni Stennett
Ok cool. Sorry about his recent passing. Rennie will go down in MLB history as the only batter to have gone 7 for 7 in a 9 inning game. Actually nobody will ever touch that record. In a blowout game today starters get pulled for second stringers later in the game. That record is safe. Rennie was a solid 4 of 5 tool player. Not much HR power but lots of doubles and had some speed. He and Stargell were both members of the 1971 and 1979 world series teams. A great player.

The Baseball Hallof Fame did a nice story on the 7 for 7 game. https://baseballhall.org/discover/in...even-for-seven

Old 04-07-2023, 10:07 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
One of my faves from that team.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Ok cool. Sorry about his recent passing. Rennie will go down in MLB history as the only batter to have gone 7 for 7 in a 9 inning game. Actually nobody will ever touch that record. In a blowout game today starters get pulled for second stringers later in the game. That record is safe. Rennie was a solid 4 of 5 tool player. Not much HR power but lots of doubles and had some speed. He and Stargell were both members of the 1971 and 1979 world series teams. A great player.

The Baseball Hallof Fame did a nice story on the 7 for 7 game. https://baseballhall.org/discover/in...even-for-seven
Everyone has good reports for uncle Rennie! A few years ago a bat got into my parents home in Stanton Heights. It just happed to be Halloween eve and all the children were watching halloween themed cartoons. Suddenly there was all of this screaming and pandamonium. My stepfather could not handle it so Rennie batted the bat out of the front door with fireplace poker. lol

Old 04-07-2023, 01:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
take this in context - this is coming from a shady side academy ivy league white dude - my pronouns are he/him

‘Judge us on our actions’: Gainey touts efforts to make Downtown cleaner and safer

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202304060123

“We are living up to what we said
we would do,” he said.
“We said we would increase patrols.
We’ve done it.
We said that
we would start cleaning more of Downtown.
We’ve done that. And putting more personnel Downtown to ensure that
we’re doing the cleaning.

“I said in the beginning, judge us on our actions. Are
we there yet? No
we are not.
We still got a lot of work to do. But in terms of improving and making the necessary changes that’s going to make Downtown safe,
we’ve done that and
we will continue to work to do that. But it’s going to take all of us.”
Haven’t been in a while, but for the Penguin game with Flower in net against us, there were a ton of fans. We need sports teams to do well to get some people around the downtown area.

Gainey isn’t going to lead anything, but momentum can shift if sports fans are around.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Haven’t been in a while, but for the Penguin game with Flower in net against us, there were a ton of fans. We need sports teams to do well to get some people around the downtown area.

Gainey isn’t going to lead anything, but momentum can shift if sports fans are around.
Yawn. You’re tired AF

Old 04-07-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Everyone has good reports for uncle Rennie! A few years ago a bat got into my parents home in Stanton Heights. It just happed to be Halloween eve and all the children were watching halloween themed cartoons. Suddenly there was all of this screaming and pandamonium. My stepfather could not handle it so Rennie batted the bat out of the front door with fireplace poker. lol
This is a great story. Hopefully no children got hurt Rennie was from Panama I believe as was Manny Sanguillen. I don't think they're are many in the majors anymore from Panama for some reason.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
This is a great story. Hopefully no children got hurt Rennie was from Panama I believe as was Manny Sanguillen. I don't think they're are many in the majors anymore from Panama for some reason.
You are correct. Mr. Manny is a top notch chef. He used to cook over the top meals for us. Both are Panamanian. My stepfather came to the United States to play baseball. Jose was the star athlete. Rennie followed and made history. My stepfather never made it to the pros but left a mark in city. For many years he managed the Pittsburgh community centers and after school programs. City folk between the ages of 40 and 60 know him by name. He was and is very engaged with children. He also exposed city children to Golf at Schenley Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh