Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 07:27 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times

Advertisements

So not growing up here I know some local favorite Pittsburgh food things but outside the big names like Primanti's sandwich or the Clark Bar I really don't know many that are popular here or based here.

What are some snacks local to Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 07:40 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
For some reason, people love Isaly's ham barbecue. And they don't make those whipped jello desserts anywhere else that I've ever seen. And then there's "city chicken".

Old 04-04-2023, 07:57 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
i think Weiner World might be something of a local flavour. theres a good chance many places have that legendary hot dog type place, but Weiner World used to have i think 30+ locations through pgh in its heydey.

also, the obvious - Mineo's. not my favorite by a longshot (here we go again w/ pizza war of words? ) but they are definitely a pgh staple.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:17 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Back to the actual question, Snacks, Not meals - Clark Bar, Zagnut, beer nuts, Mallo Cups, I knew/know people who love to snack on those disgusting pickled pig's feet....

Old 04-04-2023, 09:18 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Good discussion here (no politics for once...lol) --

For some reason Turner's Iced Tea is wildly popular. It's really the Drink of Yinzers. Even when I was kid it was "the" drink. Many a school kid recalls taking the tour of Turner's Farm in Penn Hills decades ago.

Anyway, the preferred container for Turner's is the mini-jug, and to be totally yinzer cool you have to carry said ice tea jug with your index finger. Turner just teamed up with Iron City Beer to make an iced tea/beer. Not sure how that will go. Kinda yucky.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:53 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times
I’ve had requests for Turner Iced Tea shipments to LA and North Carolina. Former Pittsburgh residents really miss the tea once removed from the metro.

Pretzel Salad?

Old 04-04-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
For some reason, people love Isaly's ham barbecue. And they don't make those whipped jello desserts anywhere else that I've ever seen. And then there's "city chicken".
Yeah I always knew of Isaly's ham obviously but my Dad told me about their BBQ sauce and to mix it with the ham for a hot sandwich. Not a fan, I like the ham ok but that sauce does not work for me.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i think Weiner World might be something of a local flavour. theres a good chance many places have that legendary hot dog type place, but Weiner World used to have i think 30+ locations through pgh in its heydey.

also, the obvious - Mineo's. not my favorite by a longshot (here we go again w/ pizza war of words? ) but they are definitely a pgh staple.
Not a snack but thanks, I've not heard of and I think I might check out a good dog

Old 04-04-2023, 11:09 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Good discussion here (no politics for once...lol) --

For some reason Turner's Iced Tea is wildly popular. It's really the Drink of Yinzers. Even when I was kid it was "the" drink. Many a school kid recalls taking the tour of Turner's Farm in Penn Hills decades ago.

Anyway, the preferred container for Turner's is the mini-jug, and to be totally yinzer cool you have to carry said ice tea jug with your index finger. Turner just teamed up with Iron City Beer to make an iced tea/beer. Not sure how that will go. Kinda yucky.
Never understood the infatuation with Turners tea but given the opportunity I’ll try the beer.

Pierogies no matter when during the day was always a staple.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Back to the actual question, Snacks, Not meals - Clark Bar, Zagnut, beer nuts, Mallo Cups, I knew/know people who love to snack on those disgusting pickled pig's feet....
Yes, snacks. I was curious after realizing my wife's fav gum when she was young out in CA was Teaberry and originally was from the area. Clark's Teaberry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh