Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 07:33 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I recently moved here from Ohio, before that lived in Washington state for 40 years. I was actually born in PA, but that was 68 years ago, so ancient history. And I actually grew up and lived in Massachusetts until the age of 19. Now that you know all about me, I would like to get to know some more about my new area; specifically, what area would best fit what I'm looking for. And I'm guessing it won't be easy. Basically, looking for safe, affordable (I know, I blew it already) walkable, with excellent (or at least good) public transit options. Would like at most 40 minutes outside of downtown. Does such a place exist? Looking to rent, not buy. Unless something like an amazing townhouse is available at a fantastic price. Fire away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 07:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Hello all! I recently moved here from Ohio, before that lived in Washington state for 40 years. I was actually born in PA, but that was 68 years ago, so ancient history. And I actually grew up and lived in Massachusetts until the age of 19. Now that you know all about me, I would like to get to know some more about my new area; specifically, what area would best fit what I'm looking for. And I'm guessing it won't be easy. Basically, looking for safe, affordable (I know, I blew it already) walkable, with excellent (or at least good) public transit options. Would like at most 40 minutes outside of downtown. Does such a place exist? Looking to rent, not buy. Unless something like an amazing townhouse is available at a fantastic price. Fire away.
Given your age and your requirements, I'd suggest Mt. Lebanon. You can get a one-bedroom apartment in the apartment district for about $900 a month. Puts you a block away from the business district and two blocks away from the T station (light rail) that takes you directly into downtown.

The East End of Pittsburgh is better when it comes to everything but price, but there you'll be competing with students for rental units, so the prices will be significantly higher (the cheapest in Squirrel hill are about $1,000, and that's the low end of the rental market).

Old 07-26-2023, 08:01 AM

10,848 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:

I tell everyone the same thing for the same reason I came to the conclusion when I returned as a prodigal son..westmoreland county. distance checked, low tax checked, low crime checked, affordable checked, still get to drive in to do the fun stuff at any time. once you cross the county line on 993/130 at trafford pat service stops, but westmoreland GO picks it up. If I have to travel to the fed bldg in pitt, I usually drive as I have priority parking rights, but I can take the bu-uuu-uuu-uuu-ussss. I am 11-13 miles from downtown depending on how you measure. using the pittsburgh formula (miles times 3 = minutes non rush hour), it meets the time requirement

Old 07-26-2023, 08:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Given your age and your requirements, I'd suggest Mt. Lebanon. You can get a one-bedroom apartment in the apartment district for about $900 a month. Puts you a block away from the business district and two blocks away from the T station (light rail) that takes you directly into downtown.

The East End of Pittsburgh is better when it comes to everything but price, but there you'll be competing with students for rental units, so the prices will be significantly higher (the cheapest in Squirrel hill are about $1,000, and that's the low end of the rental market).
These are good suggestions. The East End for the most part would be Shadyside, Highland Park, East Liberty (parts of it are good), Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, Oakland and North of Forbes to name a few. Lawrenceville and the Strip are good but probably pretty pricey.

Welcome to Pittsburgh.

Old 07-26-2023, 08:52 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I would suggest Dormont, as the rents may even be cheaper than Mt. Lebanon, yet you are even slightly closer by light rail transit to Downtown Pittsburgh. Bellevue is also an option that is very walkable and has good bus service.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:37 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Agree with Dormont, great public transit.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Thanks! Will definitely check it out.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
These are good suggestions. The East End for the most part would be Shadyside, Highland Park, East Liberty (parts of it are good), Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, Oakland and North of Forbes to name a few. Lawrenceville and the Strip are good but probably pretty pricey.

Welcome to Pittsburgh.
Thank you!

Old 07-29-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I tell everyone the same thing for the same reason I came to the conclusion when I returned as a prodigal son..westmoreland county. distance checked, low tax checked, low crime checked, affordable checked, still get to drive in to do the fun stuff at any time. once you cross the county line on 993/130 at trafford pat service stops, but westmoreland GO picks it up. If I have to travel to the fed bldg in pitt, I usually drive as I have priority parking rights, but I can take the bu-uuu-uuu-uuu-ussss. I am 11-13 miles from downtown depending on how you measure. using the pittsburgh formula (miles times 3 = minutes non rush hour), it meets the time requirement
I'm really confused about where I currently am! Technically, I think I'm in Murrysville. Seems I'm either in Plum or Westmoreland? Anyway, where I am there is very little bus service. Only a commuter bus that runs in the early a.m. and afternoon. What is the GO bus? I suspect I am nowhere near it. Thanks for your input anyway!

Old 07-29-2023, 09:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
I'm really confused about where I currently am! Technically, I think I'm in Murrysville. Seems I'm either in Plum or Westmoreland? Anyway, where I am there is very little bus service. Only a commuter bus that runs in the early a.m. and afternoon. What is the GO bus? I suspect I am nowhere near it. Thanks for your input anyway!
I relooked at your first post and really there are plenty of places that you can get downtown fast enough. Even places like Aspinwall, Blawnox, Millvale and Sharpsburg are fine and pretty close in. They are all pretty active and not the cheapest anymore, but not bad either. Brewpubs and all the "in" kind of things are around. All would be closer than Murrysville area and more bus services. If you like to bicycle in cities all the places I mentioned would fit that as well, Blawnox being the hardest to get out of, but the rest are easy and Millvale actually has a trail into the city that is pretty awesome.

Enjoy your search. Always exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh