Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 08:12 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I relooked at your first post and really there are plenty of places that you can get downtown fast enough. Even places like Aspinwall, Blawnox, Millvale and Sharpsburg are fine and pretty close in. They are all pretty active and not the cheapest anymore, but not bad either. Brewpubs and all the "in" kind of things are around. All would be closer than Murrysville area and more bus services. If you like to bicycle in cities all the places I mentioned would fit that as well, Blawnox being the hardest to get out of, but the rest are easy and Millvale actually has a trail into the city that is pretty awesome.

Enjoy your search. Always exciting.
Thanks! I need to buy a bike! Haven't had one for some years now. Not really into beer, more of a wine drinker, but not even into that so much anymore. Good walking and bike trails are a major plus. That and an excellent library, YMCA or other fitness facility. Roller and ice skating rinks are also a plus. And transit options. My list is long, I know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 04:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Thanks! I need to buy a bike! Haven't had one for some years now. Not really into beer, more of a wine drinker, but not even into that so much anymore. Good walking and bike trails are a major plus. That and an excellent library, YMCA or other fitness facility. Roller and ice skating rinks are also a plus. And transit options. My list is long, I know!
What sort of fitness? Swimming? Just in case, there are some places to swim that aren't gyms.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:55 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times
Quote:
Hello all! I recently moved here from Ohio, before that lived in Washington state for 40 years. I was actually born in PA, but that was 68 years ago, so ancient history. And I actually grew up and lived in Massachusetts until the age of 19. Now that you know all about me, I would like to get to know some more about my new area; specifically, what area would best fit what I'm looking for. And I'm guessing it won't be easy. Basically, looking for safe, affordable (I know, I blew it already) walkable, with excellent (or at least good) public transit options. Would like at most 40 minutes outside of downtown. Does such a place exist? Looking to rent, not buy. Unless something like an amazing townhouse is available at a fantastic price. Fire away.
Bellevue checks all of those boxes and since alcohol sales are now permitted the area has experienced somewhat of a renaissance.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
What sort of fitness? Swimming? Just in case, there are some places to swim that aren't gyms.
Actually, what I look for most is a walking track. My old Y had one and I really miss it! Treadmills make me dizzy!

Old 08-05-2023, 10:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Actually, what I look for most is a walking track. My old Y had one and I really miss it! Treadmills make me dizzy!
Well a track like that isn't super common, but there is a nice one at the JCC.

https://jccpgh.org/fitness-wellness/fitness-events/

Old 08-06-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:

That's really nice! We belonged to the JCC when we lived by Cleveland. Really nice! Not sure I could afford Squirrel Hill though!

Old 08-07-2023, 09:03 PM

994 posts, read 900,605 times
The challenge with your search is being at least 40 minutes from downtown and having good trasnit options. I'd suggest Beaver, PA. But you will be near pollution.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
The challenge with your search is being at least 40 minutes from downtown and having good trasnit options. I'd suggest Beaver, PA. But you will be near pollution.
Just to clarify that's at MOST 40 minutes from downtown, and actually, I would prefer a lot closer in, but assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it would be too expensive. When I lived in Washington state, near Seattle, it was definitely "drive until you qualify" when I was looking to buy back in the early 2000s. Things may have changed by now. I do still need an area with decent, affordable rentals and good transit.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:07 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:

But the JCC was forcing people to adhere to what they thought was a "healthy" person, for the last few years, before you could gain entrance. IE, thrusting their misguided values upon everyone. I'll leave it at that but I'd spend your money elsewhere. You want to know about tracks and running places just PM me.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:11 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
I relooked at your first post and really there are plenty of places that you can get downtown fast enough. Even places like Aspinwall, Blawnox, Millvale and Sharpsburg are fine and pretty close in. They are all pretty active and not the cheapest anymore, but not bad either. Brewpubs and all the "in" kind of things are around. All would be closer than Murrysville area and more bus services. If you like to bicycle in cities all the places I mentioned would fit that as well, Blawnox being the hardest to get out of, but the rest are easy and Millvale actually has a trail into the city that is pretty awesome.

Enjoy your search. Always exciting.
Agreed. Allegheny County has an outstanding library shared system so you can't go wrong with any of those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh