Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh has the lowest out-migration of any of the 25 largest metros.

Pittsburgh's population issues are complicated are where they are, as a results of previous decades, not current conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
This is very true. I also heard this year that our average age is average. I don't have any sources it was on the news.

So that blows that "everybody is old, Pittsburgh has the highest elderly population" argument. The elderly generation is moving to Florida or passing away. It is leveling off. Soon it will start rising. (it will be a small population increase, but it is leveling off)

Old 07-10-2008, 01:33 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Pittsburgh has the lowest out-migration of any of the 25 largest metros.

Pittsburgh's population issues are complicated are where they are, as a results of previous decades, not current conditions.
Can you post a cite, please?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
I didn't know for a fact that it was the lowest out of the top 25 but I did know that it was VERY low. People are definitely NOT fleeing Pittsburgh.

Our population decline is solely based on death-rate (Pittsburgh has a lot of old people and yet sometime in the future will characteristically have many young people compared to the national average) and lack of immigration.

We aren't attracting hordes of Hispanics, legal or otherwise. Is that bad? Probably on some levels. Is that good? Probably on some levels. Our in-migration in certain other demographics like European and Asian isn't dramatically off national levels, either, as far as I know.

It is not the exclusive reason, of course, but a large bulk of many "boom" cities is due to Hispanic immigration.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM

I can't find the article I was referencing, but here is a similar one:

Quote:
Although it's true that about 6,000 more people move out than move in each year, our rate of net domestic out-migration in 2007 was actually lower than 16 of the top 40 regions, including Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Diego and Silicon Valley. What really hurts us is that we're the only major region in the country that has more deaths than births.
Quote:
Underneath the net migration numbers is a significant amount of inflow and outflow. About 35,000 to 45,000 people move into the Pittsburgh metro area from outside Pennsylvania each year (either from elsewhere in the country or overseas), so in any given year, between 1.5 percent to 2 percent of our population is new to the region and the state. Although that's a large number, it's one of the smallest percentages among the top 40 regions
Post-Gazette: Regional Insights

Old 07-10-2008, 01:59 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Here are some interesting things that I think about occasionally, I have no facts to back it up (but never looked for them, either) and I assure you that I can't say I'm right, these are just things I perceive from my limited knowledge about these cities and regions.

It seems to me that many of the fastest-growing boom cities (and regions) in America are either close in proximity to Mexico (California, Texas) or are in climates that Mexican's are accustomed to (Atlanta, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Florida) and where their "industries" (albeit stereotypically) are strong such as landscaping and/or harvesting.

Please believe me, this is in no means meant to single out a race or be discriminatory, I realize what I just wrote could be thorny to some. My point is that, by default, I think many of these places aren't necessarily doing things "right or wrong" per say, but are simply close to the Mexican border or, like I said, similar to Mexican temperatures and climate.

Should we try to model Pittsburgh after these cities that may be gaining massive amounts of Hispanic immigrants based on reason's that may or may not have much to do with "better politics, better infrastructure, better economy, better taxes," ect?

I would argue that we should look to cities that are growing and bucking many national recession trends WITHOUT the skewed demographics of Hispanic immigration. I would argue that we should look to the direction of Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Columbus, Indianapolis, etc who are gaining slow-and-steady population and stability based on (perhaps) a fundamental strength in the region rather than the weather or proximity to the border.

I dunno. Food for thought, I'm not sure I even believe all of what I wrote! I do find it interesting, though.

Last edited by guylocke; 07-10-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Here are some interesting things that I think about occasionally, I have no facts to back it up (but never looked for them, either) and I assure you that I can't say I'm right, these are just things I perceive from my limited knowledge about these cities and regions.

It seems to me that many of the fastest-growing boom cities (and regions) in America are either close in proximity to Mexico (California, Texas) or are in climates that Mexican's are accustomed to (Atlanta, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Florida) and where their "industries" (albeit stereotypically) are strong such as landscaping and/or harvesting.

Please believe me, this is in no means meant to single out a race or be discriminatory, I realize what I just wrote could be thorny to some. My point is that, by default, I think many of these places aren't necessarily doing things "right or wrong" per say, but are simply close to the Mexican border or, like I said, similar to Mexican temperatures and climate.

Should we try to model Pittsburgh after these cities that may be gaining massive amounts of Hispanic immigrants based on reason's that may or may not have much to do with "better politics, better infrastructure, better economy, better taxes," ect?

I would argue that we should look to cities that are growing and bucking many national recession trends WITHOUT the skewed demographics of Hispanic immigration. I would argue that we should look to the direction of Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Columbus, Indianapolis, etc who are gaining slow-and-steady population and stability based on (perhaps) a fundamental strength in the region rather than the weather or proximity to the border.

I dunno. Food for thought, I'm not sure I even believe all of what I wrote! I do find it interesting, though.
I agree with all of what you said.

I just have one question...I know a lot of people that are moving to Columbus (most in their 20's who either are from Ohio or went to Ohio State and are staying there) so partly I know Columbus is gaining population but aren't they also still annexing land from surrounding Franklin County into the city?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
I believe Columbus is still able to annex land in Franklin County into the city limits, and I believe it has something to do with water rights (you don't get tapped into the municipal system unless you're part of the city or something like that). So Columbus and Indianapolis are an anomaly in this part of the country in that they have more regional governments, since most older cities can't do that anymore. That's how Pittsburgh grew in square miles from the 19th and into the 20th century.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I know Columbus is gaining population but aren't they also still annexing land from surrounding Franklin County into the city
I am not sure if they are still annexing land, but the county's population is growing (in population).

Old 07-10-2008, 05:57 PM

267 posts, read 815,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I didn't know for a fact that it was the lowest out of the top 25 but I did know that it was VERY low. People are definitely NOT fleeing Pittsburgh.

Our population decline is solely based on death-rate (Pittsburgh has a lot of old people and yet sometime in the future will characteristically have many young people compared to the national average) and lack of immigration.

We aren't attracting hordes of Hispanics, legal or otherwise. Is that bad? Probably on some levels. Is that good? Probably on some levels. Our in-migration in certain other demographics like European and Asian isn't dramatically off national levels, either, as far as I know.

It is not the exclusive reason, of course, but a large bulk of many "boom" cities is due to Hispanic immigration.
Well, we definitely didn't die. We just moved South for the awesome weather and better job opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh