Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 PM

268 posts, read 374,720 times

Advertisements

The difference in sunshine between Philly and Pittsburgh are from November-March. The rest of the year is hardly a difference. Summer sunshine between the two cities are about the same, but Pitt is slightly cooler in temp. I live in Pgh now but use to live in Philly as well as Scranton. It is mostly cloudy during winters in Pittsburgh, but on many days, you may get at least 30 min of some sun shining through lol. Or a lot of times the sun shines through the clouds and it does get bright. And occasionally you will have your unusual clear electric blue sky day during winter. The cloudiness makes the regular springtime sunshine more refreshing. You may have problems driving in the spring from all the sunshine blinding you, the amount you were neglected during the winter. Compared to Scranton, I feel right at home in Pittsburgh! Scranton tends to have drearier spring and summer weather (esp May and June), maybe a day or two more sunshine during winter. People like redesertfox cant be taken seriously when talking about this topic-- he's posted on other sites and offers no comprehensive analysis of Pittsburgh sunshine. Of course the sun shines in Pittsburgh! This is in no way London or Ireland or Holland. I would imagine Anchorage, AK being the SAD capital of the U.S. for freezing temps many months of the year, snowy, and low amounts of sunshine. NOT PITTSBURGH!

Old 12-04-2010, 05:49 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,558,364 times
Sunshine is overated.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,999,775 times
My wife thinks it is very sunny. She is from Finland. I think it has been very sunny the past couple of years for some reason. I lived in Florida for many years and moved back to Pittsburgh. I don't think the weather is bad here. Gets a worse rap than it is. Someone always has to say something bad. Can't all be good here. I have to say, Pittsburgh is a great city. I can live anywhere in the world in my line of work, but stay.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,139,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
Pittsburgh is the Seasonal Affective Diorder Capital of the USA.Forget the Cleveland and Buffalo jokes.....travel,get around.I am in Heaven in Arizona and HAPPY.When I return to this place...alll of the pilots tell me they hate the clouds and bumpy landings.
If you have some money..go west and see how happy people are...instead of dealing with this place...ugh!
Ok, it makes sense now. You live in a desert with few pesky clouds to cover the sun or even give precipitation. If you like lots of sunny days, Arizona is the place for you. It is also very dry or to spin it better, has low humidity. But the place will bake you.

Cleveland gets more snow and Buffalo is legendary for the amount of snow they receive.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,521 times
I live in Seattle. From what I have heard the weather in Pittsburgh is similar to the weather in Seattle. Regardless, I think Pittsburgh would be a cool place to live just because of the Steelers and Primanti Brothers. Also, Pittsburgh people seem like good people.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I lived in Florida for many years and moved back to Pittsburgh. I don't think the weather is bad here. Gets a worse rap than it is.
Thank you.That's what I have said before. The over exaggerated bad weather of Pittsburgh is just another old and over used excuse to hate the whole city.
There are also the complaints about the "crooked politicians" that are somehow only inherent to Pittsburgh? I find that laughable as well!

If they could stick with the real complaints s.a. bad roads and bad public transportation issues, they would just be much more credible.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:48 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,902,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
I live in Seattle. From what I have heard the weather in Pittsburgh is similar to the weather in Seattle. Regardless, I think Pittsburgh would be a cool place to live just because of the Steelers and Primanti Brothers. Also, Pittsburgh people seem like good people.
It is colder here in the winter than it is in Seattle, where I lived once upon a time, on Western Avenue across the street from Pike Place Market. I used to eat and, especially, drink in Belltown.

What's similar is the number of un-sunny days. I think Pittsburgh is second only to Seattle in this statistic.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It is colder here in the winter than it is in Seattle, where I lived once upon a time, on Western Avenue across the street from Pike Place Market. I used to eat and, especially, drink in Belltown.

What's similar is the number of un-sunny days. I think Pittsburgh is second only to Seattle in this statistic.
I was in Seattle a few years ago in July and it was day after day of sunshine. I don't remember if it even rained at all the whole time I was there. Even if it did rain,coming from Pittsburgh, that wouldn't have stopped me from canoeing on Lake Washington or going camping.
I do know that a few weeks ago right before Thanksgiving, Seattle had a bad snow/ice storm when the temperatures were sub freezing, so it can get quite cold there, too.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:28 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,902,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I was in Seattle a few years ago in July and it was day after day of sunshine. I don't remember if it even rained at all the whole time I was there. Even if it did rain,coming from Pittsburgh, that wouldn't have stopped me from canoeing on Lake Washington or going camping.
I do know that a few weeks ago right before Thanksgiving, Seattle had a bad snow/ice storm when the temperatures were sub freezing, so it can get quite cold there, too.
It's nice in the summer. Every day, basically. The rain is a fall-winter-spring thing. Every day, basically.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Thank you.That's what I have said before. The over exaggerated bad weather of Pittsburgh is just another old and over used excuse to hate the whole city.
There are also the complaints about the "crooked politicians" that are somehow only inherent to Pittsburgh? I find that laughable as well!

If they could stick with the real complaints s.a. bad roads and bad public transportation issues, they would just be much more credible.
You have a point about crooked politicians, however, Pittsburgh's have a rep for being more crooked than many other cities' pols. I don't know of too many other cities where the same party has been in charge since the 1930s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's nice in the summer. Every day, basically. The rain is a fall-winter-spring thing. Every day, basically.
There is plenty of rain in the summer, too. It comes more in the form of thunderstorms rather than the all-day rains you can get at other times of year, but still, there are plenty of days that are simply cloudy, even if not raining all day.

This is a chart of the % of possible sunshine per month. You will note the percents for June, July and Aug in Pgh are 55, 57 and 56, with 50% for May, 55% for Sept. and 51% for October. The rest of the months are all below 50%.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/pctpos.txt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh