Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 PM

24 posts, read 231,652 times

Advertisements

here is the latest news on anything involving the pittsburgh mafia. They tend to lay low since most of the members are older and the family is much smaller now than it was in the mid 90's, but I found this article about recent mafia activity in Pittsburgh.

Mafia Today

www.pittsburghsportsblog.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Interesting story about John Conley and the poker machines. I thought he was the guy who owned the Sheraton at Station Square and the Gateway Clupper Fleet and organized our regattas., who later got busted for illegally taking money out of the pot. Since he volunteered his time every year to run great regattas, I thought they should just let him have the couple of hundred thousand he was accused of skimming. Maybe they did. I don't know how this ended.

Poker machines always seemed so penny-ante to me that I didn't want to think it was a mafia thing or at least not the mafia as we knew it. They seemed too grandiose to do something so low and cheap. I guess I thought the other low and cheap things they did were glamorous. (I was only familiar with the New Ken guys and the decent things they did.)

At a shop in Lawrenceville where I worked, a guys wife called and asked if we could mail his paycheck to her. (We used to have them sign their checks - then we'd take them to the bank and bring them back envelopes with the cash.) It seems that when he left and walked up to Butler Street to catch the bus to South Side, he'd spend his entire wages in a poker machine before the bus arrived. So the mafia had a lot more knowledge than me about these types of people and their spending habits.

Your other link translates into:
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more separated so not to reverse translate .city-data.com/forum/www.pittsburghsportsblog.wordpress.com

Page not found

It's not easy to post a straight link to a site or page anymore.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 AM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
I am sorry but this is real cool.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:54 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
I am sorry but this is real cool.
Whats cool?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Whats cool?

I did not think our small city could house these types of activities. I always ignored this thread but now it's like ready a good book. I can't stop hitting refresh. lol

Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Interesting story about John Conley and the poker machines. I thought he was the guy who owned the Sheraton at Station Square and the Gateway Clupper Fleet and organized our regattas., who later got busted for illegally taking money out of the pot. Since he volunteered his time every year to run great regattas, I thought they should just let him have the couple of hundred thousand he was accused of skimming. Maybe they did. I don't know how this ended.
This guy in the mafia story is not the same one, but you are right, it is John CONNELLY who owned the Sheraton/Gateway Clipper, along with his brother Gene, who actually ran/operated the Regatta and ran the Sheraton hotel for John. I know John & Gene personally and both are A LOT older than this guy is, and didn't own poker machines except for the ones he bought when he thought legalized gambling was coming back in the 90s but then took them to Mississippi for use on the boats there.

They had their faults, but both have done a lot for Pittsburgh over the years. Good people.

John E. Connelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia AND

http://www.post-gazette.com/regionst...1connelly4.asp

Last edited by Benzman66; 05-07-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
I did not think our small city could house these types of activities. I always ignored this thread but now it's like ready a good book. I can't stop hitting refresh. lol
Mr.D, check this out---http://[domain blocked due to spam]/city/new-kensington-pa/TJ1S4AUB7A233RRGA --- Back in the day, nothing was done without the mobs approval.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Mr.D, check this out---http://[domain blocked due to spam]/city/new-kensington-pa/TJ1S4AUB7A233RRGA --- Back in the day, nothing was done without the mobs approval.

WOW. bad thing though that thread turned out like the ones on here always does.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 10,091 times
I'm trying to trace Pittsburgh Irish mob ties and activity, pre-1950's. Any help? Names? Gangs?

Read more: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/pittsburgh/572917-mafia-activity-pittsburgh.html#ixzz0Wqerv2CV[/url]

Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I know the mafia does exist. Thankfully it doesn't interfer with the daily living of residents and businesses like it does in New Jersey. The mafia isn't strong arming businesses for protection in Pittsburgh. They couldn't get away with it. Pittsburghers aren't the type of people to put up with that crap. They'd call the police right away. If the police didnt' do something, they'd call the state police, FBI and media. Because of that, I'm always perplexed at how other areas of the country end up so deeply intimidated by the mafia.

Anyway, this is what I know about the mafia in Pittsburgh and affiliations with other cities, which isn't much.

My sister was engaged to someone whose family was in the mafia. As soon as she found out, she broke off the engagement.

My other sister married into a family that does have very important mafia relatives in Detroit and Chicago. The family in Pittsburgh is not affiliated with this whatsoever. As a matter of fact, they were not permitted to even speak of these relatives when they were growing up. The entire Pittsburgh family disapproved of them.

As the story goes, these two mafia heads from Detroit and Chicago used a Pittsburgh family funeral for a meeting. They arrived in separate limos and sat in the back talking to one another. They never spoke to anyone else. The rest of the family was whispering with anger among themselves. These were the men they weren't permitted to even talk about at family gatherings huddled up at their funeral, but nobody dared to approach them or toss them out. Afterwards, they got into their separate limos and this family has never seen them again.

This was a long time ago. For all I know, they're dead now. Since the extended Pittsburgh family forbid anyone to speak of them, the younger generations don't even know their names.

Even though this specific Italian family in Pittsburgh doesn't affiliate with them, that doesn't mean that another Italian Pittsburgh family isn't involved with them. There could be a different branch of this Pittsburgh family---through marriage or a shunned family member---that is heavily involved and connected.

However, it's interesting to learn of how an Italian family goes about cutting mafia relatives out of the family. I'd never heard about anything like that before.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-14-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh