Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
@ Hopes....lol...I just paid off the mob...okay a bookie...kinda like that elderly lady....now I can sleep.........have to say that guy did not give up he kept coming her for my boyfriend and was not gonna take NO for an answer.........have to say in a bookie kinda way he was nice looking.
I would have never paid it for him! I hope this was a one-time incident. If your boyfriend continues to place bets he can't cover, you'll need to find a new boyfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 PM

24 posts, read 231,671 times
Default bookies

Almost all bookies (if not all) in the Pittsburgh area are not associated with the mafia. The mafia in Pittsburgh is just about dead. Last count from what I heard is there are only 3 made members and 2 of them are 85+ years old. Many of the members have died off and they did not recruit more because in the early 90's the mafia was very strong in Pittsburgh and did not feel the need to recruit. The mafia probably has their hands in basically no criminal activity in Pittsburgh thanks to a series of indictments/convictions and many mobsters flipping in the mid 90's that decimated the mob numbers. There are probably still associates out there and members who work with some of the older mobsters but by all counts the mafia is minor here and nothing to worry about any more. I have recently heard that there are talks between some of the Pittsburgh made members and the boss of the Scranton family but their family is also pretty much gone--in fact he may be the only made member left. Also the Philadelphia family is just about wiped out because of murders and fighting among them and because of mobsters turning state witness.

Also if someone and their family owes the mafia money the mafia will get their money. It does not simply work to tell them that you don't have the money and never come back. Once you are indebted to the mafia they put you on a payment plan where the interest is higher than the principle so you get more in debt every week, even when you are making the payments. Eventually you are so in debt to the mafia that they figure out a way of making it even--this is usually through some sort of illegal fraud or by giving a business to the mafia. They always break even and even if you don't have the money they will squeeze it out of you over a series of years.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:57 PM

331 posts, read 673,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jap124 View Post
Almost all bookies (if not all) in the Pittsburgh area are not associated with the mafia. The mafia in Pittsburgh is just about dead. Last count from what I heard is there are only 3 made members and 2 of them are 85+ years old. Many of the members have died off and they did not recruit more because in the early 90's the mafia was very strong in Pittsburgh and did not feel the need to recruit. The mafia probably has their hands in basically no criminal activity in Pittsburgh thanks to a series of indictments/convictions and many mobsters flipping in the mid 90's that decimated the mob numbers. There are probably still associates out there and members who work with some of the older mobsters but by all counts the mafia is minor here and nothing to worry about any more. I have recently heard that there are talks between some of the Pittsburgh made members and the boss of the Scranton family but their family is also pretty much gone--in fact he may be the only made member left. Also the Philadelphia family is just about wiped out because of murders and fighting among them and because of mobsters turning state witness.

Also if someone and their family owes the mafia money the mafia will get their money. It does not simply work to tell them that you don't have the money and never come back. Once you are indebted to the mafia they put you on a payment plan where the interest is higher than the principle so you get more in debt every week, even when you are making the payments. Eventually you are so in debt to the mafia that they figure out a way of making it even--this is usually through some sort of illegal fraud or by giving a business to the mafia. They always break even and even if you don't have the money they will squeeze it out of you over a series of years.
I had a long post that I lost along with my internet connection....

I know longer want to respond to this topic because of it. You are wrong though is all I can say.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,060 times
Grosso refused to pay out because he had learned that Nick Perry host of..Bowling For Dollars....had rigged the balls by spraying a small amount of paint inside w/ hypodermic needle. therefore only the balls that were lighter would make it to the top...."666".

Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,983 times
tony grosso was deeper then you think and was not the real boss another grosso was i believe

Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,678 times
My family was originally from the Hill District and, we, then followed Grossos to the South Hills. Tony was Syrian, not Italian Mafioso as some believe. Prior to becoming a "King Pin," back during the 1940's, Grosso turned in to his fellow Syrians at a convenience, which was located at Bedford Avenue and Roberts Street. Then, Rich, opened another store on the corner of Webster and Devilliers; additionally, there were many stores and bars that fronted the numbers operation, as well as houses that were all over the Hill. For example, the Crawford Grill was probably at one time the biggest number station in the city of Pittsburgh. Crime will always exist in Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and everywhere else as it always has; whether it is underground or in plain view it is simply a shortcut to riches. Grosso, the Genovesse, Big Bill Lias, or the Grand Jury; call it what you will, but it will continue to exist.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Teagarden View Post
Grosso refused to pay out because he had learned that Nick Perry host of..Bowling For Dollars....had rigged the balls by spraying a small amount of paint inside w/ hypodermic needle. therefore only the balls that were lighter would make it to the top...."666".
I knew Tony. I was very young but he did not want to pay on the fix. Only the Greeks knew about it and they all collected on Nicks fix. He liked Nick but not enough to lose money.

Not really, Tony was independent until his death. True if you mean politicians though.

Gambling ruins people, don't do it.

Grosso was %100 Italian so was his wife Angie, daughter, and grand children.

Grosso being so large muted them for years. He had the politicians and police.

Last edited by Yac; 06-07-2010 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: 5 posts in a row merged

Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
If you wanted to know the Mafia, you should have lived in New Kensington during it's heyday!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
If you wanted to know the Mafia, you should have lived in New Kensington during it's heyday!

That area had a very low crime rate when the Mafia ruled it.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:15 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That area had a very low crime rate when the Mafia ruled it.
Sorta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh