Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to anyone else's experiences with having the proper authorities dispose of a road killed deer.

Background:

Just about this time, summer before last, a deer was hit by a car in front of my property. Apparently, it wasn't killed instantly, because I became aware of it when I heard the gunshots fired by one of my township police officers that put it out of its misery.

I waited an hour or so, and called the township offices, to ask whether somebody was going to do something with the carcass, or whether it was my problem. (I live on a well travelled road, PennDot maintained, at the corner of a township street. The deer lay at the edge of my lawn, closer to the side street than the main road, but technically on public property, not my property.) The person I spoke with assured me that both the State game Comission and PennDot would be notified.

It lay there rotting for two weeks in often 90+ temperatures.

Both myself and my neighbor had repeatedly called the township, the game comission, and even Rep Biancucci's office, all to no avail. Finally, I'd had enough, and drug it down into the woods behind my lot and buried it.

Friday night sometime, somebody hit another one, which is now on the shoulder of the PennDot maintained road in front of my neighbor's house. (Neighbor on the other side of me from the first deer.) Her brother has spoken with PennDot, and they've said nobody will be out before Monday. She's expecting that means somebody will be out Monday. I wished her good luck with that...

I'll be interested to see whether she gets any better results than I did, but in the meantime, has anybody else had a similar experience, good or bad?

(And if PennDot does well, and shows up tomorrow, I'll be happy to report that here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I think PennDot only removes deer from highways if they are a hazard. As for your neighborhood, that might depend on the township. A few nights ago, a deer was wrapped around a telephone poll, laying on the sidewalk and the next day it was gone. I have no idea who removed the deer, but I'm sure my township would have played a large role in its removal. Whenever I don't get any action from township employees, I call my elected official. Suddenly everything gets done. Don't even bother calling the township manager, it's an appointed position. You want to call the people whose jobs depend on your vote.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I think PennDot only removes deer from highways if they are a hazard.
It may not be a traffic hazard, but 200 pounds of meat rotting on your front lawn is sure as hell a health hazard, isn't it?

As I said, I did call Rep. Biancucci's office. Nothing got done. But then, he didn't get re-elected either.

to him.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
There was a dead dear on the shoulder of the on-ramp to the Parkway West in Robinson that seemed like it was there for a few weeks. The terrible smell of the rotting carcass permeated my air vents in my car every time I drove by it. I think the only reason it got removed was because they started construction on that ramp. So if removing the deer wasn't a priority on a busy road like that, I wouldn't hold my breath that they will remove the deer on your neighborhood street in a timely manner. Actually, you might have to hold your breath from the smell...

Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
Every couple of years there are a couple of guys that bid on the contract from the State to remove road kill from the highways. The lowest bidder gets the job. It usually goes between $3, and $6 per deer. They obviously aren't making a living clearing the roads. They do it in their free time. Most animals never get picked up. Some get carried away, and others are dragged off the road to nearby woods.

If you really want it gone, I would suggest that you bury it with the last one.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 AM

362 posts, read 919,456 times
Try calling the Game Commission directly.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Try calling the Game Commission directly.
I did that with the last one and was told, "If we do come out and pick those up, it's only as a courtesy. We're not really required to do it."

That really ticked me off, because you know that if I shot it, and had it in my freezer, they be happy to come and confiscate it. Is it not the law that the animal is actually the property of the game Comission? (Now, I'm not a hunter, so somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.)

Quote:
If you really want it gone, I would suggest that you bury it with the last one.
Yeah. Except that the last one was a doe, and not a very big one at that. This guy is an 8-point buck, and about three times the size of the other one. Somebody would've loved to shoot him come buck season...

Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Default Well I'll be darned...

It's gone.

Neighbor must have more pull than I do.

I'll now take back all the nasty things I was preparing to say about everybody who failed to do anything about it.

(I'm still not forgetting about the one I had to dispose of though...)

Old 07-28-2009, 04:50 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Years ago there was an injured deer on the road (in the Hays area.) I called 911. They seemed to know how to take care of the situation.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 PM

12 posts, read 22,417 times
Here's some info you might find interesting....

------------------------------------------------------

PENNDOT REMINDS CUSTOMERS: TO REPORT DEAD DEER, CALL 1-800-FIX ROAD
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
PENNDOT REMINDS CUSTOMERS: TO REPORT DEAD DEER, CALL 1-800-FIX ROAD
Stay Alert - Stay Safe

Indiana, PA (October 2) - October marks the beginning of Pennsylvania's white tailed deer mating (rutting) season. Deer and other wildlife can exhibit unpredictable behaviors and unexpected actions. Motorists should be cautious and alert for animals on the roadway and the potential for deer to dart in front of moving vehicles.

Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Next time please provide a link (http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/districts/district10.nsf/e4ac5d2f8fa912a185256c62004afe7c/f5a6945a5ed7b020852571fb005649f0?OpenDocument - broken link) to the article

Last edited by Yac; 08-03-2009 at 03:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh