Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,671,894 times

Advertisements

People think of San Francisco having hills, steps, etc, but Pittsburgh has even more public steps than San Francisco! Just a fun stat I like. :-) They're signed as streets here too.

There are those types of similarities, although Pittsburgh is much smaller in the area population and less diverse in race and ethnic backgrounds. Not that there aren't a lot of different backgrounds, just that the numbers of a given minority are likely to be much smaller. You won't have as wide a variety of restaurants to eat at, perhaps less kinds of places to shop for grocery items. A few things like this. For most, these are not insurmountable culture shock issues, I would think. Plus there is some comfort in that large decrease in the cost of living.

Good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,558,364 times
...we don't have Rice-A-Roni, "The San Francisco Treat!

but try Primanti's

Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakshikiz View Post
Hi all,

i got the gig and now I'm moving to Pitt. I'm excited. Im wondering what to expect in terms of culture shock..for those of you who know both places, what kinds of cultural differences shoud I be ready for? We Californians have a bad rap in some places-how can I avoid embarrassing myself?
I grew up in Pittsburgh and love the city. I now live in San Jose, not SF, but at least the bay area.

You'll have to get used to winters!
The food scene isn't as good but, it's not bad in the 'burgh. Some good spots.

I think the biggest difference is that SF is a global city... a city that people around the world know and want to visit. Pittsburgh isn't. But that doesn't mean Pittsburgh doesn't have a lot to offer... I just don't think it's quite the world class city SF is.

So aside from that status point and the winter... I think you'll find a lot to like in Pittsburgh. Lots of arts... a lot of history... and I think the friendliest folks around.
I will say that if you enjoyed the prestige of living in SF... I think that will be lost in the 'burgh. But maybe that's not all bad. The friends from San Jose that went back there with me enjoyed it a lot and didn't feel out of place.

Good luck !

Old 08-25-2009, 01:06 AM

89 posts, read 218,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
My school I'm thinking (Duquesne) it was just rated by the US News and World Report it's in the top tier colleges of the USA. While it may not be a research school, it's still a prestigious school.

Oooh okay. Good for Duquesne! I knew that its law school is pretty good, but I didn't realize that the rest of it is so respected. I never really looked into Duquesne much, though, so perhaps that's why I was not aware.

I wish that Chatham and Carlow had a better reputations. From what I understand, Chatham was quite respected back in the 70s and 80s but has gone downhill. It would be nice to have the Forbes/Fifth corridors just overflowing with top tier schools.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,041,929 times
I've heard Pittsburgh called the "San Francisco of the east," but obviously SF is a much larger city. It's a neat comparison, though -- beautiful hills and scenery, gorgeous historic architecture, fine cultural institutions, etc.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
I agree that you have to adjust the SF comparison for the fact that SF is a much larger city. But once you do that, I also agree it works on certain levels (and both because Pittsburgh is not quite what some people think, and nor is SF from the opposite direction).

Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Another interesting fun fact is San Francisco and Pittsburgh have similar latitudes. That's partially why the surrounding areas of both cities are great grape growing regions.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,102,324 times
If you want a real culture shock, try Kansas City.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM

9 posts, read 24,888 times
I"m excited, if a bit scared about this winter. i spent a january in chicago once and it wasn't so bad, as long as you were walking in the right direction (out of the wind). I mean, people here react like I'm going to Siberia. But somehow entire populations seem to survive every year, so I'm sure they can teach me the survival skills a la Nanook of Pittsburgh.

I know PIttsburgh isn't NY or Boston, but is there still some type of East Coast reserve/attitude I should be aware of? Again, I know it's not a foreign planet, but it is a different culture and I don't want to annoy my new coworkers.

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 AM

89 posts, read 218,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakshikiz View Post
I know PIttsburgh isn't NY or Boston, but is there still some type of East Coast reserve/attitude I should be aware of? Again, I know it's not a foreign planet, but it is a different culture and I don't want to annoy my new coworkers.

Thanks!
Most of the people I go to college with insist that the attitudes of Pittsburghers is quite different from the rest of the East Coast. One girl in particular said that she doesn't even consider Pittsburgh to be an Eastern city because our attitude is more in-line with Mid-western cities. (I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh