Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Denver, but I never imagined it as an ultra conservative city until reading your posts, ryanswindle. Pittsburgh is fairly conservative compared to the West and the East, so it's blowing my mind to hear we're liberal compared to Denver. Your posts would make sense to me if you were comparing Pittsburgh to the South.

At least you admit that you have nothing else to compare. Perhaps you can take our word that Pittsburgh is probably middle of the road when it comes to conservative dress. Goodness, Pittsburghers are KNOWN for not being trendy. Pittsburghers wear the same clothing styles decades after they went out of style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:54 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
It blows my mind also to think ANY major city is less image concious than Pittsburgh. I'm truly amazed at how poorly people dress here. My job has a "business casual" dress code, and apparantly in Pittsburgh that means flip-flops and a Steelers t-shirt to some people. And when we get a "jeans day" that apparently means shorts or jogging pants. I know my job obviously doesn't enforce the dress code, but you'd think people would take a little more pride in their appearance when they go to work.

I moved up here from FL where it's 90 degrees for 8 months of the year, and people still put more effort into their appearance down there. I'm not talking about name brand nonsense, I wouldn't know what is "in" if it hit me in the face, but I can tell when someone takes pride in their appearance, and in Pittburgh, many people don't. So yeah, I've never been to Denver either, but it would surprise me greatly if those people out there are more conservative and less image concious than Pittsburghers.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
It blows my mind also to think ANY major city is less image concious than Pittsburgh. I'm truly amazed at how poorly people dress here. My job has a "business casual" dress code, and apparantly in Pittsburgh that means flip-flops and a Steelers t-shirt to some people. And when we get a "jeans day" that apparently means shorts or jogging pants. I know my job obviously doesn't enforce the dress code, but you'd think people would take a little more pride in their appearance when they go to work.

I moved up here from FL where it's 90 degrees for 8 months of the year, and people still put more effort into their appearance down there. I'm not talking about name brand nonsense, I wouldn't know what is "in" if it hit me in the face, but I can tell when someone takes pride in their appearance, and in Pittburgh, many people don't. So yeah, I've never been to Denver either, but it would surprise me greatly if those people out there are more conservative and less image concious than Pittsburghers.
Come and visit! You'll see what he means! Doctors in jeans (in the office), people wearing jeans to church, even for funerals and weddings, etc.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Come and visit! You'll see what he means! Doctors in jeans (in the office), people wearing jeans to church, even for funerals and weddings, etc.
I never would have guessed that about Denver. I would have expected it to be a trendier city. Very interesting. I guess that's why ryanswindle feels Pittsburgh is the peak of high fashion. lol

Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Ok, I was born to post here. I moved to Pittsburgh from SF, by way of five years in Seattle and several months back in my hometown in Virginia, but still...I've lived in both places. You said you were somewhat conservative? I'm not at all (nor am I knee-jerk liberal), but I recognize that Pittsburgh is somewhat more socially conservative so that should suit you fine. It's solidly Democratic, but kind of old-school, if you know what I mean. It's got plenty of funky artsy types, but not the white-dudes-with-dreads who keep SF (or Portland or Seattle etc) "weird" . You won't miss the hills, because Pittsburgh arguably has more, and Observatory Hill, at around 1300 feet (there's a plaque in the woods a block from my house) is higher than Mt. Davidson, at 938 or so feet. And like a previous poster said, we have more steps. I've read that we have more than SF and Portland combined, so there's that. And like someone said, we have TREES. Pittsburgh was carved out of the Appalachian forest, not built on sand dunes. And we have deer and wild turkeys, in city neighborhoods. You'll occasionally see them running down sidewalks! The deer, that is. The turkeys just run down the street.

One thing I missed in SF were bridges. Don't laugh. Sure, there are a couple of world-famous ones there, and a few more less famous ones, but they all cost an arm and a leg to cross and they're no fun sitting in traffic. We have bridges everywhere, and every kind but drawbridges. Allegedly more than any other city in the world. I think we also edge out SF in the museum department, but it's close.

Cons? Food, but there's a whole new realm here if you're into heavy Eastern European-style food. We have Thai and Vietnamese and Korean too, just not on every corner. A few of each type of Asian restaurant, so you'll have to get used to that, but they're here. And honestly, I really don't care what color people are or what culture they come from. Pittsburgh is very white and black, but we probably have more varieties of white people (Italian, Polish, Croat, etc.) than anywhere! Cultures are cultures, and those count, so to me it's still more diverse than a lot of places I've been. In fact, this is the most European city I've been to in the US. Lots of narrow, winding streets, many of them cobblestone. Onion dome churches and the like. I guess it's more Eastern European than anything. And I like that it's not East Coast, or Midwest, or the South. It's somewhere in the middle of all of that, and you're relatively close to all of those regions, especially the Midwest, which technically starts about 40 miles away in Ohio. In other words, I love it here, and don't miss SF (or Seattle, or anywhere else I've ever lived) much at all. Sounds like you're coming here with a positive attitude about it, and that's often all you need coming into a new place. Especially this place.

Good luck with your move. And welcome to Pittsburgh!

Edit: I forgot: It's sometimes referred to as "The Poor Man's San Francisco" which is pretty accurate geographically, right down to the lack of an ocean. I like "Paris of the Appalachians" better, though. Also, I hated winter when I moved here. Now after two of them, I'm starting to look forward to it.
I also moved from Pgh to SF and then on to some other places. If someone told me that I'd have to move from SF to Pgh, I'd break down and cry. Not because Pgh is so terrible, It's an OK place but not exactly a dream destination. It's only because SF is so much better in every way imaginable way, except cost of living. Oh yeah, and Pgh doesn't have all those pan handlers

Anyway, Ignore the above post. It's amazing how so many Pgh'ers desperately attempt to make Pgh more than it is - a peaceful and pleasant but dying old city that has hanged little in the past 50 years. I consider these positive attributes and have no need to tart the place up to make it something that it is not. It isn't a happening place.

Lwet's get real. Pgh has about the worst and most limited food and restaurants of any big city in the US. It's a real meat and potatoes place. Forget about decent Asia, Mexican, etc restaurants. In Pigh, ethnic means Italian or Polish. Not Korean, Thai, Jamaaican, Indian, etc.

The people are very very friendly as a rule. They are also very midwestern - fat, consverative and not very intellectual (outside of Oakland, of course.) It's the only city in the US aside from Baltimore that is majority Catholic, so religion is very big, as in most midwest places.Allegheny County is the oldest county in the US after Dade. That tells you a lot about it, too.

Then there's the weather. The long, overcast winter's and humid summer's will almost be the worst part of living here.

One more thing, if you aren't now or expect to become a Stillers fan, don't even think of moving to Pgh. The obsession with football is nothing short of pathological.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennox66 View Post
I also moved from Pgh to SF and then on to some other places. If someone told me that I'd have to move from SF to Pgh, I'd break down and cry. Not because Pgh is so terrible, It's an OK place but not exactly a dream destination. It's only because SF is so much better in every way imaginable way, except cost of living. Oh yeah, and Pgh doesn't have all those pan handlers

Anyway, Ignore the above post. It's amazing how so many Pgh'ers desperately attempt to make Pgh more than it is - a peaceful and pleasant but dying old city that has hanged little in the past 50 years. I consider these positive attributes and have no need to tart the place up to make it something that it is not. It isn't a happening place.

Lwet's get real. Pgh has about the worst and most limited food and restaurants of any big city in the US. It's a real meat and potatoes place. Forget about decent Asia, Mexican, etc restaurants. In Pigh, ethnic means Italian or Polish. Not Korean, Thai, Jamaaican, Indian, etc.

The people are very very friendly as a rule. They are also very midwestern - fat, consverative and not very intellectual (outside of Oakland, of course.) It's the only city in the US aside from Baltimore that is majority Catholic, so religion is very big, as in most midwest places.Allegheny County is the oldest county in the US after Dade. That tells you a lot about it, too.

Then there's the weather. The long, overcast winter's and humid summer's will almost be the worst part of living here.

One more thing, if you aren't now or expect to become a Stillers fan, don't even think of moving to Pgh. The obsession with football is nothing short of pathological.
Excellent second post!

Yeah, I'm part of the grand conspiracy to entice people to move here and then slam the door shut, trapping them in hell (with the lid on!) forever, surrounded by the elderly (City-Data claims the CITY OF PITTSBURGH, which I was posting about, has a median age of the mid-30s. That's where I am, and median means there are just as many under as over), and with nowhere to eat (in the last week, I've had excellent Thai, Middle Eastern and Polish food). If you're not Catholic (I'm more or less an atheist. At the very least, I haven't been inside a church since I was 12. Except the Church Brew Works!) or a Stillers fan (I'm not even a football fan, go figure), you'll be miserable here.

Wow, you moved from Pittsburgh to San Francisco. How original. Let me guess, you felt a little "weird" and wanted to fit in somewhere? Cities are more than their post-card views and international reputations. They need to have value, too. Some things just aren't worth the money. In other words, go troll somewhere else.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM

89 posts, read 218,137 times
Quote:

That is simply absurd. This city has tons of Thai restaurants, more Indian restaurants than necessary (I believe Oakland alone has 4 with another one on the way? There's at least two Indian restaurants on Penn avenue too), Vietnamese food (one of which - Tram's Kitchen - was praised in New York Magazine, Kosher restaurants, Middle Eastern and Greek restaurants, Ethiopian, etc. etc. etc. This city has fantastic opportunities for good, ethnic foods.

Quote:
Yeah...when I visit Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Regent Square, and South Side all I can see are fat, stupid, conservatives. This is a terrible stereotype.

Quote:
The obsession with the Steelers is a bit much sometimes - but if you're not into football (I'm not!) you don't have to deal with it. Don't watch the games and don't talk to people about football! I've had no problems with my apathy towards football.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
The people are very very friendly as a rule. They are also very midwestern - fat, consverative and not very intellectual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbarblahblah View Post
Yeah...when I visit Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Regent Square, and South Side all I can see are fat, stupid, conservatives. This is a terrible stereotype.

Fat, stupid, and drunk is now way to go through life, son.
---Dean Wormer 1962

Would it be OK for me to say everyone in San Fran is gay?

Last edited by Copanut; 09-07-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Wow, you moved from Pittsburgh to San Francisco. How original. Let me guess, you felt a little "weird" and wanted to fit in somewhere?
I'm LMAO over this comment!

Quote:
That is simply absurd. This city has tons of Thai restaurants, more Indian restaurants than necessary (I believe Oakland alone has 4 with another one on the way? There's at least two Indian restaurants on Penn avenue too), Vietnamese food (one of which - Tram's Kitchen - was praised in New York Magazine, Kosher restaurants, Middle Eastern and Greek restaurants, Ethiopian, etc. etc. etc. This city has fantastic opportunities for good, ethnic foods.
I have a feeling lennox66 hasn't been to Pittsburgh in a long time. If he/she has, it's pretty clear he/she is just visiting relatives and not getting out and about.

Quote:
The obsession with the Steelers is a bit much sometimes - but if you're not into football (I'm not!) you don't have to deal with it. Don't watch the games and don't talk to people about football! I've had no problems with my apathy towards football.
Agreed. I find sports to be very boring. I'd much rather play than watch a sport.

Pittsburgh's sports fans have never impacted my life---except in the summer when the Pirate game causes traffic congestion at rush hour. That's just a few days a year.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 PM

294 posts, read 659,454 times
Quote:
Oh please do tell, I can't wait to hear about it...

Quote:
So let me get this straight, the people that live here and love it here are not allowed to tell others about how good they think it is. But you, a cynical wretch who likely moved away years ago, is allowed to express your outdated opinion on the place. Well that just makes perfect sense now doesn't it?

Quote:
Laughable, I have never seen a shortage of ethic restaurants here in the past 10 years. Maybe if you bothered to visit since you left years ago and knew where you were going you could see it too.

Quote:
The people that live in the the urbanized area including the city don't follow your ignorant stereotypes listed above. The city dwellers are thinner, younger and more liberal and less religious than you want to believe.

Also, people here don't force their ideals on you just because you live near them, you can't say the same about the radical tree-hugger loonies that populate the majority of the bay area.

Quote:
Again laugable, the summers are about as far from humid as you can get except for a few hot days. As a matter of fact, Pittsburgh in the summer is much nicer than San Fran. 50's, 60's in the summer is just terrible. Also, I would take snow over rain and 40's, 50's in the winter any day.

It fact, it makes me laugh that someone that lives in San Fran is using the weather argument... its almost as funny as someone from rainy Seattle claiming to have better weather than Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Another stupid ignorant statement, like any other city you will not be forced to watch football here if you don't like it. If you are going around wearing opposing team gear all of the time, then yeah it could be an issue, but you are just bringing it on yourself at that point.

Thanks for the dumb post, it was fun making you look like a total ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh