Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:06 PM

299 posts, read 1,009,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
This is great info, but I believe the OP is looking for RN wages, not LPN wages.
I have to admit, I wouldn't know the difference! Thank goodness for my health that someone does!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 06:37 PM

16 posts, read 41,683 times
I have a friend who is an RN in Pittsburgh. He has his Bachelor's and about 10 years experience. He makes about $25.00 an hour. Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 PM

20 posts, read 131,776 times
Most hospitals in the Pittsburgh area are tied to 1 of 2 major hospital systems:
1. UPMC Health System (by far the largest since they have swallowed up hospitals all over the region, including Mercy Hospital and Children's Hospital), or
2. West Penn Allegheny Health System.
A couple other systems:
3. Heritage Valley Health System (Beaver and Sewickley hospitals)
4. VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

(Some "independent hospitals": Ohio Valley Hospital, St. Clair Hospital, Jefferson Regional Medical Center, and Washington Hospital)

According to an October 2006 article in the Post-Gazette:

At Allegheny General Hospital on the North Side, new nurses will start at $21.50 per hour and receive an average wage increase of 18.5 percent over the life of the agreement (3 years)... Senior nurses will see their pay increase from about $29 per hour to $34.50 at the end of the contract...

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:10 PM

23 posts, read 141,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCD View Post
Most hospitals in the Pittsburgh area are tied to 1 of 2 major hospital systems:
1. UPMC Health System (by far the largest since they have swallowed up hospitals all over the region, including Mercy Hospital and Children's Hospital), or
2. West Penn Allegheny Health System.
A couple other systems:
3. Heritage Valley Health System (Beaver and Sewickley hospitals)
4. VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

(Some "independent hospitals": Ohio Valley Hospital, St. Clair Hospital, Jefferson Regional Medical Center, and Washington Hospital)

According to an October 2006 article in the Post-Gazette:

At Allegheny General Hospital on the North Side, new nurses will start at $21.50 per hour and receive an average wage increase of 18.5 percent over the life of the agreement (3 years)... Senior nurses will see their pay increase from about $29 per hour to $34.50 at the end of the contract...

Hope this helps.
Alpha, could you link to this article, pls? I'm very curious to read that to confirm the salary. The statements of only early $20 starting wages are frightening, since dh wants to move to Pgh. I can't believe RNs are still being paid that even in an area where the cost of living is lower.

To the OP, since there are only 2-3 BIG players in the Pgh hospital scene, the attitude of management is of a "Take it or Leave it". I've read and heard frightening things from RN travellers who would not return to certain hospitals b/c of this.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Sorry I forgot to post the link....

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_475031.html

The article starts off speaking of "unionized registered nurses"... then says, "New nurses, who will start at $21.50 per hour..." Is it possible the "new nurses" refers to LPN's? I'm kind of baffled that the starting salary would be that low for RNs. When I worked at UPMC in the late '90's, I could swear the newly graduated RN's started higher than that? And that was back then. I could be wrong. You might try contacting some nurses who work around here to get the full story...

Last edited by AlphaBravoCD; 05-06-2007 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Default 50 Best Places to Work in Pittsburgh

In the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette poll (for companies > 500 employees), St. Clair Hospital (independent- located in the S. Hills), Mercy Health Care System, the Veterans Administration (VA) Healthcare System, Jefferson Regional Hospitals, and Indiana Regional Medical Center were all on the list...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07079/770715-334.stm

(The Top 50 Charts are at the bottom of this article.)

Old 05-07-2007, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 40,654 times
I know for a fact that as of August new RN salaries in Pgh were in the $19's. Now they are in the very low $20's/hr range. This is RN/BSN, new grad. Obviously it would be higher with experience.

UPMC Presby, Mercy, and Allegheny General are the 3 trauma centers. Mercy & West Penn are the burn units. All of the above plus many more have cardiothoracic units. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCD View Post
In the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette poll (for companies > 500 employees), St. Clair Hospital (independent- located in the S. Hills), Mercy Health Care System, the Veterans Administration (VA) Healthcare System, Jefferson Regional Hospitals, and Indiana Regional Medical Center were all on the list...
I was in Jefferson Regional Hospital's emergency room once, and received the BEST service EVER in my entire life of emergency room visits.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 AM

8 posts, read 53,389 times
Thanks for all the information. It sounds like rates of pay are similar to the Dayton OH area, which is where I worked prior to moving to MA. I have to say that I am just a bit spoiled with my pay here, but with the lower cost of living in pgh, I think it will be about even. The corporate hospital model is one I am used to as well. It will be some time before I actually move, but this gives me a good base for searching.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:15 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,949 times
My husband is currently looking for RN jobs. He'll be interviewing next week at UPMC Shadyside, Presby, and Children's. All of the jobs he's interviewing for have $25 listed as the minimum salary.
I'll let you know what they offer him. He does have a good resume (BSN from a top 10 nursing school, 8 years OR experience, experience in several fields, and coming from Johns Hopkins Hospital.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh