Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My post wasn't even meant to compare Denver. Bench Warmer has made up his mind (whether he realizes it or not).
I think I agree, and I sympathize with how much tail-chasing usually goes on before settling on a decision. That is why these boards are so fascinating. You get so many perspectives on the issues, which are hard to conceive from afar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 01:04 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Nope. I hope to change that soon.

I should add that I mentioned Oregon a post up, because W. Oregon is very similar to Pittsburgh in terms of cloudiness and rain. For me, the lush vegetation, large rivers and wetlands, lakes, and all are supported by the higher rainfall. I think it is a fair trade. I am a woodsy kind of guy, so is my wife.... and I like what I see in and around Pittsburgh. I don't claim any expertise in that region whatsoever. Though my wife did grow up in Rhode Island.

Surprised no one ribbed me on this post!

Now, if I lived in Australia, this would be possible, but not in Oregon at the present time....

Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 PM

331 posts, read 673,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've viewed and looked into Lawrenceville before, and there is a strong element that appeals to me, but I'd have to be single and in a slight 'wanting to hit the bars a lot' time of life, I think.

Actually from reading on here, I got the sense a lot of it is more than a bit sketchy, with some interesting things dotted about that make it worth it to some people.

I think I also read some stories on here about people who grew up there and later left. They talked about people reserving lawnchairs for parking spots as a regular occurence there that made me laugh.

One of the things that turned me off is that I heard a lot of drugs float around the neighborhood...and one former Lawrenceville resident said he at times goes back down to his old neighborhoods, and still sees some of his classmates years and years later floating around the streets looking to get high and such.

Of course, all of those elements might be interesting for a person who wants some 'city' for himself as an adult after growing up in suburbs or something. But I think it wouldn't quite appeal to me.

Actually, if I did want that, and I was young and single, I'd search that out in say Hollywood CA or somewhere else much cooler than Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh seems better for a person like myself who has a wife and kid now but still has some 'city' in him, and wants to have all his cake and eat it too But, I do think that might be in other places of Pittsburgh, and not Lawrenceville.

That neighborhood does look fairly extensive though, and some hillsides in there...and I did read that some childrens hospital is making one part of it look pretty cool though, right?
The "drug" thing, and "guys from the neighborhood", you'll run into all over Pittsburgh, not just Lawerenceville. I could leave Pittburgh for 10 years, and find just about every guy I loafed with growing up, within in minutes by walking into a few bars.

Pittsburgh's drug problem, to me, is pretty bad when compared with a lot of other cities. Drinking in Pittsburgh is kind of a problem too. Anybody who argues this point, needs to spend time in other cities across America and see how different it is.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've viewed and looked into Lawrenceville before, and there is a strong element that appeals to me, but I'd have to be single and in a slight 'wanting to hit the bars a lot' time of life, I think.

Actually from reading on here, I got the sense a lot of it is more than a bit sketchy, with some interesting things dotted about that make it worth it to some people.

I think I also read some stories on here about people who grew up there and later left. They talked about people reserving lawnchairs for parking spots as a regular occurence there that made me laugh.

One of the things that turned me off is that I heard a lot of drugs float around the neighborhood...and one former Lawrenceville resident said he at times goes back down to his old neighborhoods, and still sees some of his classmates years and years later floating around the streets looking to get high and such.

Of course, all of those elements might be interesting for a person who wants some 'city' for himself as an adult after growing up in suburbs or something. But I think it wouldn't quite appeal to me.

Actually, if I did want that, and I was young and single, I'd search that out in say Hollywood CA or somewhere else much cooler than Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh seems better for a person like myself who has a wife and kid now but still has some 'city' in him, and wants to have all his cake and eat it too But, I do think that might be in other places of Pittsburgh, and not Lawrenceville.

That neighborhood does look fairly extensive though, and some hillsides in there...and I did read that some childrens hospital is making one part of it look pretty cool though, right?
Quote:
It's a demand thing. There's a shortage of skilled trademan compared to teachers. Everyone wants to be a teacher.

Pittsburgh is different compared to many areas of the country when it comes to teacher pay though.

Teachers make near 100k within 10 years at many of the area public school districts.

That's one reason it's hard to find a teaching job in the area...
That 100K I think is a stretch, by atleast 30k or so.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
The "drug" thing, and "guys from the neighborhood", you'll run into all over Pittsburgh, not just Lawerenceville. I could leave Pittburgh for 10 years, and find just about every guy I loafed with growing up, within in minutes by walking into a few bars.

Pittsburgh's drug problem, to me, is pretty bad when compared with a lot of other cities. Drinking in Pittsburgh is kind of a problem too. Anybody who argues this point, needs to spend time in other cities across America and see how different it is.
That's just because of the type of people you hung out with growing up!

The people I hung out with have successful careers and are raising families.

I run into many of them at high school sporting events and other child related activities.

They're not drug addicts. They're not sitting in bars. They're working and carpooling their children around---doing what responsible parents do.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
That's just because of the type of people you hung out with growing up!

The people I hung out with have successful careers and are raising families.

I run into many of them at high school sporting events and other child related activities.

They're not drug addicts. They're not sitting in bars. They're working and carpooling their children around---doing what responsible parents do.
Didn't you say that you didn't grow up in the city?

The 'city' crowd tends to be a lot different than much of the 'suburban' crowd. Not always, but more so than not.

I never said everyone running around Pittsburgh is a "drunk" or "drug addict". But the drugs and drinking in the city of Pittsburgh, is very "real", and very prevelent.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
[quote=Copanut;11803933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

Why, obviously you contribute more to society and the free market rewards you for it.
Hmmmm... after the past month I've had it does sound nice that I as a janitor contribute more to society than a teacher. It's been AWFUL with the flooding and the mess....

But really -- a teacher really does give more to society. I mean she has to put with the little b*****ds every day.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
That 100K I think is a stretch, by atleast 30k or so.
It's not a stretch. Clearly, you have no idea what teachers make around here.

Some of our suburban districts are among the highest paid in the country.

The following are AVERAGES:
Quote:
In the region, the top five highest paid salaries are at North Allegheny, $66,138, Gateway, $65,275, Upper St. Clair, $63,671, Pittsburgh, $61,062 and Quaker Valley, $60,856.
The following provides examples of top salaries in the area:
Quote:
Top scale in Pittsburgh is $74,000, compared to $90,000 in North Allegheny and the high $90,000s in Council Rock, said John Tarka, president of the Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers and executive director of the Pennsylvania Federation of Teachers.
This data was from 2005. Teacher salaries listed - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

I've posted better proof in the past (school board meeting minutes), but I don't feel like jumping through hoops again.

You're welcome to do a forum search to find my 2007 posts about this topic.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
It's not a stretch. Clearly, you have no idea what teachers make around here.

Some of our suburban districts are among the highest paid in the country.

The following are AVERAGES:

The following provides examples of top salaries in the area:

This data was from 2005. Teacher salaries listed - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

I've posted better proof in the past (school board meeting minutes), but I don't feel like jumping through hoops again.

You're welcome to do a forum search to find my 2007 posts about this topic.
The top pay in the city of Pittsburgh, is how much again? Like I said, it's a stretch of about "30K".

Old 11-28-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But really -- a teacher really does give more to society. I mean she has to put with the little b*****ds every day.
So true. A few years ago, I decided to pursue a teaching certification.

Since my husband is 10 years older, I thought it would be nice to have summers off. That way I could enjoy retirement with him sooner.

Since I already had a degree, it wasnt' going to require many credits.

After taking a few classes with 19 year olds, I decided against teaching.

I couldn't imagine spending my life with those morons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh