Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:14 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Here's another Texas politician

Representative Gene Green, a Texas Democrat, said that "time after time, its been shown that BP chooses expediency over safety." He suggests that adding up the hours that it would have taken BP to make sure that the Deepwater Horizon was safe and prevent the explosion would have taken the company just "three to four days."

'BP Chooses Expediency Over Safety'

While that may be true - it's incomplete.

Time after time, government bureaucrats choose to line its own pockets and enhance its own power instead of simply enforcing the law. Who investigates government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
BP is stupid to say they will pay for ALL the cleanup...and anything else related to the oil spill accident. There are many [potential] companies that could have liability...including the MMS. Certainly BP is not the only company at fault. I suspect there are many...

Likewise, BP is stupid to be politically pressured into setting up a fund UNLESS ALL other [likely potential] companies contribute equally to the fund, which includes the our Federal Government because MMS had a definite part in what led to the accident.

I believe BP has a high degree of fault, but they are NOT the only company/agency that will be determined to be at fault.

Who is "at fault" is a legal matter...and years away from any decision. BP is handling this all wrong by saying they will be responsible for the costs. That's just plain stupid. The whole matter is being handled wrong by both the Obama administration and BP...................

Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Cute. When is he leaving? I will help him pack.
Maybe he can catch the same plane as Limberger?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - BP did everything (pre-explosion) that the government allowed them to do. Why isn't the government financially responsible?
They are, but BP is being kind enough to let the government, and the taxpayers off the hook..
Quote:
#2 - What Obama and his goons did is illegal by using threats to get money from BP in lieu of Congressional legislation.
Couldnt agree more. Liberals can do nothing but whine and cry at every breath, no matter what people do..
Quote:
#3 - Both sides in government was on the take from BP. Don't act as though BP only funded the right.
Obama received more from BP than ANY OTHER politician.. but shhh, dont tell liberals that, it ruins their sense of Democrats = for the people feelings...

Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
I'm not sure how or why the US government itself would be "responsible" here, in the financial sense.

I doubt the government gave BP a specific license to allow a blowout of an oil well...

And it seems like a bizarre argument to make for a proponent of free markets.

If we say that the US federal government is responsible for the errors of private oil companies, isn't that the same as saying we might as well nationalize all drilling operations in order to bring them under complete government oversight?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
I thought Republicans don't apologize to foreign countries for US What happened? It this guy another RINO?

I guess he would prefer to use taxpayer money to pay for the clean up.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I'm not sure how or why the US government itself would be "responsible" here, in the financial sense.

I doubt the government gave BP a specific license to allow a blowout of an oil well...

And it seems like a bizarre argument to make for a proponent of free markets.

If we say that the US federal government is responsible for the errors of private oil companies, isn't that the same as saying we might as well nationalize all drilling operations in order to bring them under complete government oversight?
IMO I think you're making the wrong assumptions of what the government is responsible for.

The MMS exempted them and rubber stamped their shortcuts.
How many sea otters and walruses live in the Gulf of Mexico ?
And the MMS approved.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
BP is getting an unfair deal are you kidding? After a comment like that Rep Joe Barton of Texas, I will be surprised if you get re-elected. It sounds like you are not for the people but for big BIG corporations. BP was wrong taking shortcuts, they didn't need too. BP was worth so much at the time, they didn't need to take shortcuts. Because of BP shortcuts, this will effect the world economy and our environment!
Rep Joe Barton your comment is unbelievable!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
The MMS exempted them and rubber stamped their shortcuts.
Indeed they did. But what's the remedy? Traditionally, giving government agencies more power to "interfere" with private business operations has been a sore point for people like Rep. Barton, who has argued in the past that the industry can effectively police itself.

But the argument now seems to be that the industry cannot police itself.

Which seems to leave "big-government interference" as the solution; not the problem.

It just seems like a bizarre thing for someone like Rep. Barton to argue.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
BP is stupid to say they will pay for ALL the cleanup...and anything else related to the oil spill accident. There are many [potential] companies that could have liability...including the MMS. Certainly BP is not the only company at fault. I suspect there are many...

Likewise, BP is stupid to be politically pressured into setting up a fund UNLESS ALL other [likely potential] companies contribute equally to the fund, which includes the our Federal Government because MMS had a definite part in what led to the accident.

I believe BP has a high degree of fault, but they are NOT the only company/agency that will be determined to be at fault.

Who is "at fault" is a legal matter...and years away from any decision. BP is handling this all wrong by saying they will be responsible for the costs. That's just plain stupid. The whole matter is being handled wrong by both the Obama administration and BP...................

Image control is just as important as money. It might actually be more important. It's in BP's best interest to be seen as compassionate towards the parties who have been and will be hurt by the spill.

Remember, they made the statement that they would "pay all legitimate claims" very early in this ordeal, long before anyone knew how bad it was going to get. Perhaps they regret that statement now, but how would it be in BP's interest to have said "We'll determine our degree of fault relative to all the others who are also at fault, and we'll pay damages commensurate to our degree of fault."

BP is a very greedy and dangerous company, but they aren't stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies