Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
A voter ID law already exists in Texas, they must be passing a more strict one.
Voter ID: State Requirements
We have to show our voter card..not an ID card. There is no picture on your voter card.
A voter card is NOT an ID. Anyone can show up and present a card and vote and you are not asked to prove you are the person on the card.
We have a voter ID bill in the works.
Then you will have to show an ID along with your voter card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We have to show our voter card..not an ID card. There is no picture on your voter card.
A voter card is NOT an ID. Anyone can show up and present a card and vote and you are not asked to prove you are the person on the card.
We have a voter ID bill in the works.
Then you will have to show an ID along with your voter card.
And how would you come into possession of a voter card? Anyone can show up with a fake ID and vote also if we are creating an allowance in our speculation for voter fraud.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:16 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

Even in your situation, you initially needed ID to open a bank account to deposit those checks.
I used a driver's license to open up my bank account. The license already expired long ago - I never renewed a driver's license in my entire life since its useless. In fact, I have never even driven a car after I passed my driver's test.

Quote:
Arguments against using ID to vote are a red herring, especially with the low cost of state IDs and the inability to do much in society without identification.
You can do everything in a society without an ID, millions of people lead normal lives without having a gov't sanctioned ID, including me. How can you tell me people are unable to do much in society without ID, when you are replying to a person who does just that.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:25 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I used a driver's license to open up my bank account. The license already expired long ago - I never renewed a driver's license in my entire life since its useless.

You can do everything in a society without an ID, millions of people lead normal lives without having a gov't sanctioned ID, including me. How can you tell me people are unable to do much in society without ID, when you are replying to a person who does just that.
Good afternoon,

You are able to do these things because you had valid ID at some point. In fact, you still do since you have the valid passport as a backup and have admitted to using it in society (by going to Europe). Try closing your bank account, moving out of your home and starting fresh to see how well a non-ID policy works. I am not arguing that it's impossible with an expired ID, I've done exactly what you're doing and was able to do so because I had existing bank accounts and hadn't moved recently at the time. The only way I know of to live without ever obtaining ID initially, is to start as a teen, working under the table for cash and renting in seedy neighborhoods from landlords who don't care (or living with relatives/friends). But even people in those situations can afford $14 for a NY state non-driver ID so they can vote.

Back on topic, arguments against voters presenting ID are typically about poor and elderly people's inability to purchase ID at all, which weird since the IDs are very cheap to obtain and most life-necessary institutions (banking, check cashing, government assistance) require it.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Good afternoon,

You are able to do these things because you had valid ID at some point. In fact, you still do since you have the valid passport as a backup and have admitted to using it in society (by going to Europe). Try closing your bank account, moving out of your home and starting fresh to see how well a non-ID policy works. I am not arguing that it's impossible with an expired ID, I've done exactly what you're doing and was able to do so because I had existing bank accounts and hadn't moved recently at the time. The only way I know of to live without ever obtaining ID initially, is to start as a teen, working under the table for cash and renting in seedy neighborhoods from landlords who don't care (or living with relatives/friends). But even people in those situations can afford $14 for a NY state non-driver ID so they can vote.

Back on topic, arguments against voters presenting ID are typically about poor and elderly people's inability to purchase ID at all, which weird since the IDs are very cheap to obtain and most life-necessary institutions (banking, check cashing, government assistance) require it.
I would say there as much about that as they are people who sometimes have to 12+ hour days, myself formerly included, and, if they don't live in early voting states, get one shot at lunch hour to vote. If you need only get X amount of time off and need to be back to work on time, you cannot have a bunch of people in front of you rummaging through their purse/wallet to get their IDs to vote...If there are you then have 2 choices risk losing your job, or get disinfranchised.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:46 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I would say there as much about that as they are people who sometimes have to 12+ hour days, myself formerly included, and, if they don't live in early voting states, get one shot at lunch hour to vote. If you need only get X amount of time off and need to be back to work on time, you cannot have a bunch of people in front of you rummaging through their purse/wallet to get their IDs to vote...If there are you then have 2 choices risk losing your job, or get disinfranchised.
True, but working that specific 12 hour job is a personal choice. If you feel your vote is that important, you can talk to your boss, change careers to one where the boss respects voting, or go into business for yourself. There's also the option of moving to a state where early voting exists.

That being said, I definitely don't want anyone being disenfranchised, so I would like to see the voting process more streamlined to avoid it with extra machines and places to vote. I've seen politicians in charge of elections get voted out due to election day disasters.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Good afternoon,

Quite frankly I find it shocking that you have no problem with the fact that people like me would not be allowed to vote. Let me ask you this question then, what if I do get the non-driver ID but then lose it in 4 years. (Entirely plausible since I would only use that ID only once every 2 or 4 years). Should I still be barred from voting? I am assuming you know that it is pretty much impossible to get a non-driver ID on Election Day and passports and/or passport cards take up to 2 weeks to arrive.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Because people who can't or don't have proper ID tend to be poor and uneducated, yet numerous, and the poor tend to vote Democrat.

And because the Republicans use these laws to stack the deck.

Both are true.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:02 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I used a driver's license to open up my bank account. The license already expired long ago - I never renewed a driver's license in my entire life since its useless. In fact, I have never even driven a car after I passed my driver's test.

a Driver's license IS a government sanctioned ID. Sheesh man, really.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
True, but working that specific 12 hour job is a personal choice. If you feel your vote is that important, you can talk to your boss, change careers to one where the boss respects voting, or go into business for yourself. There's also the option of moving to a state where early voting exists.

That being said, I definitely don't want anyone being disenfranchised, so I would like to see the voting process more streamlined to avoid it with extra machines and places to vote. I've seen politicians in charge of elections get voted out due to election day disasters.
The thing is at the time I needed that job, there is/was 10% unemployment and money is critical to all sorts of things that I wouldn't consider personal choices, like eating, having a home and electricity. My employers were wonderful and understanding people, but if there was an event, and they needed you, you had to be there.

My point is requiring an ID isn't going to stop a determined forger, just ask an underage kid looking to buy beer. It will however, make things take longer which will disenfrachise some folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies