Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
What is with child labor laws anyway? I think children should work at an early age for many reasons. It adds to family recourses, it teaches the children the puritan work ethic, it helps finance the lifestyle of the families who started the business in the first place. And above all we may be able to compete with China and India in short order.
Child labor is different. We have determined that children aren't capable of making an informed decision, hence they don't have the right to vote, smoke, or drink until they are of "legal age" and adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Rand Paul: Government should not regulate mine industry - Federal Eye -

Rand Paul: Congress has no business protecting miners - The Hill's Healthwatch

"The bottom line is: I'm not an expert, so don't give me the power in Washington to be making rules. You live here, and you have to work in the mines. You'd try to make good rules to protect your people here. If you don't, I'm thinking that no one will apply for those jobs."
I strongly question both of your sources.

The first one the link from your link does not work.

The second one uses quotes from two different conversations and combines them.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Smile Don't let reality color your misconceptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
He knows enough to know that he's not an expert.
Please cite examples of Pelosi and Reid passing themselves off as experts on mine safety.

Pelosi and Reid have some expertise at advancing legislation penned by experts in various fields. And that's their function. Regulations aren't drawn up by congressmen. Congress votes on their passage.

Quote:
pelosi, reid and the gang haven't grasped the concept yet that government isn't the answer to all our woes.
Please give examples of Pelosi and/or Reid supporting the government as the answer to all our woes.

The recent past should have made it abundantly clear to anyone paying even casual attention to the political/economic scene that deregulation certainly didn't solve any problems; in fact, it led to HUGE problems that are taking years to resolve. Problems affecting all of us, not just the ones keeping an eye on politics.

In the case of Mr Paul, he seems to have missed all that.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
He's not saying there should be no mine safety regulations. He's saying they should be made on a state and local rather than federal level.

I live in an area where mining is a huge part of the economy and see no problem with this.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Child labor is different. We have determined that children aren't capable of making an informed decision, hence they don't have the right to vote, smoke, or drink until they are of "legal age" and adulthood.
Even more reason to put the little tikes to work. Can't vote anyone in or out. No smoking breaks for the toddlers and they don't come to work or miss work because of a hangover. It's a win win.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Where in the Constitution does it say its the governments right to protect the worker from themselves?
People, by themselves, can't protect themselves. This is why government was deemed necessary, to protect the collective interests of the people.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America"

Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
He's not saying there should be no mine safety regulations. He's saying they should be made on a state and local rather than federal level.

I live in an area where mining is a huge part of the economy and see no problem with this.

OSHA has always been a Federal agency. Is OSHA considered Big Government now?

Workers

You have the right to a safe workplace -
You have the right to a safe workplace. The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (OSHAct) was passed to prevent workers from being killed or seriously harmed at work. The law requires that employers provide their employees with working conditions that are free of known dangers. The Act
created the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), which sets and enforces protective workplace safety and health standards. OSHA also provides information, training and assistance to workers and employers. Workers may file a complaint to have OSHA inspect their workplace if they believe that their employer is not following OSHA standards or there are serious hazards.

All American workplaces should abide by OSHA. Rand is an Idiot.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
What is with child labor laws anyway? I think children should work at an early age for many reasons. It adds to family recourses, it teaches the children the puritan work ethic, it helps finance the lifestyle of the families who started the business in the first place. And above all we may be able to compete with China and India in short order.
And all without ANY protection generally afforded by the government. Its good that we can look up to China, India, Bangladesh etc for ideas along the lines.

Should I be able to sell anything, food or otherwise, from my home without the need of any kind of license?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
People, by themselves, can't protect themselves. This is why government was deemed necessary, to protect the collective interests of the people.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America"
On the other hand there's that pesky 10th Amendment;
Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
On the other hand there's that pesky 10th Amendment;
Tenth comes after the ninth, doesn't it? What does it say? Besides, what exactly is implied by "We the people"? (Hint: it ain't giving personhood to states). BTW, bill of rights wasn't defining what the government could do, it was defining what the government couldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies