Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I should've known. GWB caused gridlock by invading Iraq. An now we can't invent. Is that right?

Well isn't everything GWB's fault? I stubbed my toe this morning, I am pretty sure he was behind it.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lack of incubation money. R&D needs lots of money..not every idea pans out so there is more lost some years than gained.

R&D offshored can make better use of limited funds. PhD's cost less and can work on more projects. Corporations get a better bang for their buck and can fund more projects with more people than they could using the same money here. Just a fact of life.

Money does indeed make the world go round.

So what is that "US corporation are sitting on a pile of cash" talk all about?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Interestingly Nvidia, basically an American company, has a Taiwanese CEO and president and an Indian CIO In the Silicon Valley the Asians are also omnipresent.
Nvidia is ruthless as both a player and competitor.
They play multiple hands so they are in the lead no matter which technology starts to take the lead.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well isn't everything GWB's fault? I stubbed my toe this morning, I am pretty sure he was behind it.........
I guess Bush's tax cuts prevent US corporations from spending their money on R&D. That means ending them would fix that, right? Is that what the OP is implying.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
So what exactly prevents us from inventing?
You, me, them, us!

As long as we all think it's perfectly normal and acceptable to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic for two hours trying to get home from work, there is no real need for innovation.

As long as we think that burning fossil fuels is a great (because seemingly inexpensive) way to generate electricity, there is no real need for innovation.

There are many ideas out there - whether here in the US, in China, in Europe, or anywhere else. The problem is simply rooted in our own behavior. If we are unwilling to change, there is no motivation to invent, innovate, or implement new approaches.

Look at countries like Germany - electricity, water, and fuel are very expensive when compared to the US. As a result, consumers were essentially forced to curtail their wasteful habits in order to save money. As a consequence, innovations were implemented at a much more rapid pace than here at home. When you drive around, you will quickly spot many homes that have solar panels, for example. Many also use geothermal energy and/or collect and recycle rainwater/gray water for certain essential operations (like flushing toilets).

Sure enough, the government artificially created this situation, but the payoff, in my humble opinion, has been impressive. It certainly has changed the way the average German views unnecessary consumption, waste, and pollution.

In that sense, the statement somebody made above that business creates innovation and not government, is not entirely true. The two can actually work in unison to create a better life for everybody. Alas, the attitude in the US is all too often that government, business, and people are somehow adversarial.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I guess Bush's tax cuts prevent US corporations from spending their money on R&D. That means ending them would fix that, right? Is that what the OP is implying.
I really think the OP thinks government is responsible for innovation and since government is divided (current filibuster and future majority status) gridlock ensues. So the government can't sit down and develop a bus that runs over traffic.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
So what is that "US corporation are sitting on a pile of cash" talk all about?
Not me talking about it.

Don't you tend to save or refinance in recessions "just in case" ?
Plus in recessionary times there are some good purchases/mergers to be made.

Even in the corporate world.."cash talks".

Old 10-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You, me, them, us!

As long as we all think it's perfectly normal and acceptable to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic for two hours trying to get home from work, there is no real need for innovation.

As long as we think that burning fossil fuels is a great (because seemingly inexpensive) way to generate electricity, there is no real need for innovation.

There are many ideas out there - whether here in the US, in China, in Europe, or anywhere else. The problem is simply rooted in our own behavior. If we are unwilling to change, there is no motivation to invent, innovate, or implement new approaches.

Look at countries like Germany - electricity, water, and fuel are very expensive when compared to the US. As a result, consumers were essentially forced to curtail their wasteful habits in order to save money. As a consequence, innovations were implemented at a much more rapid pace than here at home. When you drive around, you will quickly spot many homes that have solar panels, for example. Many also use geothermal energy and/or collect and recycle rainwater/gray water for certain essential operations (like flushing toilets).

Sure enough, the government artificially created this situation, but the payoff, in my humble opinion, has been impressive. It certainly has changed the way the average German views unnecessary consumption, waste, and pollution.
Yeah, like driving to work. German unemployment has historically been twice ours, although it is lower than ours now since the Dems have adopted their policies and they have adopted ours.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You, me, them, us!

In that sense, the statement somebody made above that business creates innovation and not government, is not entirely true. The two can actually work in unison to create a better life for everybody. Alas, the attitude in the US is all too often that government, business, and people are somehow adversarial.
Germans are too efficient I read somewhere. Saving water has lead to the odd problem that their older tubes get clogged as the diameter was chosen based on the water consumption decades ago, now the flushing effect is gone

Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not me talking about it.

Don't you tend to save or refinance in recessions "just in case" ?
Plus in recessionary times there are some good purchases/mergers to be made.

Even in the corporate world.."cash talks".

Recessions come and go. In my opinion we should be well on the way out of this recession by now.
What I'm saying is that the government is the culprit not the corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies