Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post

Touche..you got me. ...I thought I had read you were a resident of NYC and worked in Manhattan?

oops...you edited while I was responding...
Yes--for accuracy. I did physically work there for about a year and half, but now only go down for meetings.

I can't afford to live in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The ignorance in these threads astounds me.

I've heard that anyone who follows Islam

1. Attacked us on 9/11

2. Kill infidels everyday

3. Worship a Devil book that preaches hate and death

4. Are trying to force Sharia law on every man, woman, and child in these United States, and the government is backing them

5. Muslims are Nazis

and the list goes on, and on, and on.

Whether you agree with the Mosque or not, these statements are stupid, and full of hate that has no place in our society. I don't like Al Qaeda, I hate them, I wish everyone of those guys and girls were dead, and I'd happily be their executioner if that were granted to me. But Al Qaeda is no more a full representation of the Muslim faith, than a Catholic priest molesting a boy is indicative of the Christian faith.

I understand why people don't want a Mosque two blocks away from ground zero, my issue is, whats so different about this cultural center that contains a mosque, and the mosque thats right next to where the towers actually stood? No one threw a fit over that one, are we going to start a national campaign to have them removed from lower Manhattan? The people of lower Manhattan, you know, the ones that actually live there support this center.

And whats far enough away? Tennessee? North Carolina? Texas? All of those states have had public campaigns to block Mosques being built, and it shames me to say I'm from Tennessee because of it.

Muslims that are building their houses of worship did nothing to you, and if the sole reason you are basing your attacks on the entire faith, of over a billion people world wide, is because a hand full of idiots attacked us on 9/11, well, then you've got cognitive issues.

Joe Scarborough was talking about people denigrating evangelical and pentecostal churches in Pensacola after a series of abortion clinic bombings and murders there in the 80's. I remember that time. How awful would it be if the entire Christian faith was demonized because of the acts of a few loan idiots.

Like I said, feel free to express your position. If it is "I don't want the mosque there" just say that, but all of the hate filled language needs to stop. This is a free country, and we have a freedom to speak, but it sickens me to hear this kind of stupidity flowing from the mouths of my fellow citizens. We look down on KKK members, because they are lunatics who support a fringe movement, which often berates Jews and African Americans based on stereotypes and a few examples of "bad apples". You'd look at them like they have lost their minds, just as rational people are looking at you like you've lost yours.

To me, I could care less if the mosque was built. Its not my city, its not my state, I have no say on zoning laws there. I'll likely never be there, and if I am, I'll probably just walk by not even noticing the building. But the hate that I've heard directed at one billion people, for the bad examples, that have been criticized by this Imam, and most others in the states, really concerns me.
At the end of the day, your post is a wash. Behind the mosque is intention.

How utterly irresponsible to allow and be in favor of something like this when there are issues behind it. We simply cannot agree to put a mosque, church or synagogue anywhere in this country because of "freedom of religion". There is responsibility and accountability involved in all things.. Rauf is accountable for his future plans which will affect the United States of America.

Walid Shoebat is a former Palestinian terrorist who converted to Christianity and is a citizen of the US. He translated this interview into English.

Let's get real, get smart and pay attention to the man behind the curtain.

Quote:
What’s more, Imam Rauf is calling for a worldwide return to the most radical form of Islam in history, turning the hands of time back to an era when Muslims ruled much of the known world. See eye-opening article below that was translated by Walid.

EXPLOSIVE: GROUND ZERO MOSQUE IMAM AND HIS PLAN FOR A GLOBAL ISLAMIC TAKEOVER (AS TRANSLATED FROM ARABIC)

Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I certainly hope they don't bow down to the ridiculous tide of bigotry in this country. I am incredibly upset and hope they stand their ground.
Glad to see you're a real American! I for one hope they never build another mosque in this country.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:05 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
The whole media dust-up is about advertising dollars and nothing more. The Second Ammendment guarantees Religiouis Freedom. It does not guarantee the availability of a building site nor the right to build anywhere. a group choses. And there are NY City building codes to be considered

Whether or not the Imam is a radical is moot. The will of the United States is uncompromiosing. It does NOT lower its flag to any nation, nor to any religious state. End of story. Anything else is inflamatory speech. If NYC wants the shadow of the Twin Towers to fall on the golden dome of the Imam's new Mosque, then so be it. It is still a City decision.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:18 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The whole media dust-up is about advertising dollars and nothing more. The Second Ammendment guarantees Religiouis Freedom. It does not guarantee the availability of a building site nor the right to build anywhere. a group choses. And there are NY City building codes to be considered

Whether or not the Imam is a radical is moot. The will of the United States is uncompromiosing. It does NOT lower its flag to any nation, nor to any religious state. End of story. Anything else is inflamatory speech. If NYC wants the shadow of the Twin Towers to fall on the golden dome of the Imam's new Mosque, then so be it. It is still a City decision.
Poetic, but what dome? The mosque will be a big glass rectangle. Pretty boring-looking if you ask me.

And it will be the shadow of the new One WTC that will fall on it. At least in the afternoons, mostly in winter.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
At the end of the day, your post is a wash. Behind the mosque is intention.

How utterly irresponsible to allow and be in favor of something like this when there are issues behind it. We simply cannot agree to put a mosque, church or synagogue anywhere in this country because of "freedom of religion". There is responsibility and accountability involved in all things.. Rauf is accountable for his future plans which will affect the United States of America.

Walid Shoebat is a former Palestinian terrorist who converted to Christianity and is a citizen of the US. He translated this interview into English.

Let's get real, get smart and pay attention to the man behind the curtain.
First of all, if I am to believe what you've printed above, I have to ask - how does one person get so much power? If, as you say, this man has 'plans' that will 'affect the United States of America' don't you think the FBI, CIA, etc. is watching? Seriously, he's been in the public eye for quite some time now.
Maybe, he's a double-agent:

'Ground Zero Mosque' Imam Helped FBI With Counterterrorism Efforts

Old 08-17-2010, 02:33 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Poetic, but what dome? The mosque will be a big glass rectangle. Pretty boring-looking if you ask me.

And it will be the shadow of the new One WTC that will fall on it. At least in the afternoons, mostly in winter.
Good post. Thanks. I repped you. Some of us cannot be bamboozled by illogical rhetoric wrapped up in fancy poetic musings.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
If they do indeed do this and just chose a further location then I applaud them for doing the right thing. That is how bridges are built
I agree. So many have heard about being tolerant of the Muslim and their desire to build an Islamic center and mosque, while many have asked that the Muslims be tolerant of the fact that this location was perceived as insensitive to many.

If this is being done in the spirit of sensitivity and to promote good will, I would bet that many people will begin seeing the Muslim community in a new light.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But why would you want the bees, in this case?

The people who disagree with this community center by and large are NEVER going to find any good in Islam. They've never tried.
And you have personal knowledge of this because?

Or are you just stereotyping them, the way some of the ignorant stereotype Muslims?

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Muslim leaders to abandon plans for Ground Zero community center (http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/muslim-leaders-to-abandon-plans-for-ground-zero-community-center-1.308426 - broken link)

Insiders say Muslim spiritual leaders behind the controversial initiative are considering giving up on the former World Trade Center location, in a gesture of appeasement.

I bet this is going to pizz off Hamas...
That is very, very nice of them, very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies