Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Maybe she can't display one publicly... Hopefully this woman sues the company. It would be interesting because it is a private company, but I do support any person's expression of their religion. The wearing of a burqa is a reasonable expression.

The slippery slope claims of other posters are foolish and hyperbolic -- raising a strawman argument to distract themselves from a --actually the only -- legitimate argument that would justify this decision by Disney.

They are a private corporation. If they equally repress expression of religion, then the courts may see little reason to intrude.

The hyperbole introduces potentially inflammatory or at least divisive distractions that weaken the justification for the decision by Disney.
actually the courts have upheld the rights of the businesses to set a certain public standard in their dress code, as long as it is consistent. private companies can even hold public employees to a certain look if they choose, again as long as they are consistent. for instance hooters was allowed to fire female employees who let themselves go physically, and hooters was also allowed to discriminate against men who wanted to be servers. this is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:28 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
When I was last at Disney, I noticed several staff members wearing kippot (yarmulkes). A kippah or a hijab are religious dress- quite different from a cross or a Star of David. If they are allowing kippot then they should allow hijabs.

That said, they offered her accommodation and she refused it.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well, you can; if you do: off with your head or other body parts you stinking Kafir, literally.

Goodbye Constitution, Hello Shariah.

Disney should have offered her the choice to work in the back, or seek employment elswhere. So, they probably handled it badly.

Folks need to understand that CAIR is busy educating Muslims who seek their help or counseling, how to force Shariah into society and our legal system by claiming discrimination and filing civil rights complaints.

Denial kills twice and naivety is no excuse. Anyone who thinks this is not a political movement is plain blind.

The news report I watched stated they offered to allow her to wrok in the back each time she came to work, but she refused. She stated in the interview on the news that she refused.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
A TV report stated she was allowed to wear the covering but would have to work in the back but she refused saying it is illegal for Disney to ask her to remove the head cover. Sounds like Disney has done their best to accommodate her under the EEOC. She became a citizen just two years ago, maybe she should review the laws.

Imane Boudlal, Muslim Disneyland Employee, Claims Her Bosses Told Her Not To Wear Head Covering At Work - Los Angeles News - The Informer
If it were my business she would not have been allowed to wear it at all. Head scarves, crosses, crucifixes, Bibles, Quarans, long sideburns and skull caps should all be prohibited from the workplace. That stuff belongs at home or in church.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,177 times
Quote:
The news report I watched stated they offered to allow her to wrok in the back each time she came to work, but she refused. She stated in the interview on the news that she refused.

That's the key, I think. She wasn't fired, and no one told her to take it off. It sounds like a fair compromise.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowwhite witch.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	67008

Wear a black head covering and she gets to keep her job.

Problem solved

Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Sounds like some sensitivity training is in order here. From now on, Cinderella, Snow White, Tinker Bell and Minnie will all wear burquas. A minaret will be added to the castle, and all rides will stop each day at prayer time. Fantasyland will be renamed 'Land of Mohammed' where all young girls visiting will become betrothed to the village elders. It's a pedophile world, after all!

The Land of Tomorrow bookstore will be featuring an author signing his latest book - "Yeah, I AM a Muslim! So What?" by B. Obama.

This is very clever.

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Maybe she can't display one publicly... Hopefully this woman sues the company. It would be interesting because it is a private company, but I do support any person's expression of their religion. The wearing of a burqa is a reasonable expression.

The slippery slope claims of other posters are foolish and hyperbolic -- raising a strawman argument to distract themselves from a --actually the only -- legitimate argument that would justify this decision by Disney.

They are a private corporation. If they equally repress expression of religion, then the courts may see little reason to intrude.

The hyperbole introduces potentially inflammatory or at least divisive distractions that weaken the justification for the decision by Disney.
People are free to express it at home and in the church, synagogue or mosque of their choice. They should not bring it into the workplace.

716 posts, read 1,120,177 times
Also, most dress codes exist for a reason, either image or safety. A construction worker can't wear flip flops. A guy with a long beard probably shouldn't be a machinist. A banker can't show up in a wife beater. If you don't like it, work somewhere else. When someone's giving you a paycheck, you deal with their rules and policies. I do it every day. Do I like it? Not always, but that's the way it is.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:36 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
A TV report stated she was allowed to wear the covering but would have to work in the back but she refused saying it is illegal for Disney to ask her to remove the head cover. Sounds like Disney has done their best to accommodate her under the EEOC. She became a citizen just two years ago, maybe she should review the laws.

Imane Boudlal, Muslim Disneyland Employee, Claims Her Bosses Told Her Not To Wear Head Covering At Work - Los Angeles News - The Informer
It seems to me that she was "fishing" to file a lawsuit against Disney. The employer has a right to make sure that its employees dress appropriately on the job. I'll bet that she's ugly as sin looking too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies