Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times

Advertisements

Indentured, I am certain that you can't see that you and those who think like you are a large part of the problem. Instead, why don't you use your energy toward being part of the solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Nearly all African Americans are "part white".....yet, like me, you cannot look at me and see any trace of European features. Saying that you are "part black" does not mean that you can relate to the experience of people who LOOK TOTALLY BLACK. There were a lot of "part black" people who "passed" for whites long ago to escape the sting of racism and oppression. So my point it that just because a person is part black does not mean that they can relate to the experiences of someone who looks all black. Furthermore, Minnesota is a place known for "Minnesota Nice". I have not experienced blatant racism here like I did in Michigan. Its not that racism is not here its just that people in Minnesota are too nice to be overt and bold with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Dr. Laura's "tirade" was illustrating a point about how SOME black people use the "n" word. It wasn't meant to be racist.
If I tell you that the N word makes me uncomfortable and you come back and say "well all the comedians on HBO say it" then I'm going to tell you to go to their house and say it all you want to. Just because the boyz in the hood have embraced the n word doesn't mean I have to to. And anyone who tries to use that as a means to justify using it, just really wanted to say it in the first place but didn't have the balls to do it without a pretense.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny napalm View Post
I bet you could get a eurotvnetwork going. It could be ETV your european news/ entertainment network. You would probably need some european sponsors though. What would the content be really? If there were a WET, what would the content be? Is BET's content anti-white? I really don't watch it so IDK.
Well, a WET would be excluded from pressures to have integrated programming. But a WET would be just a part of the America as a multicultural society. A WET would probably air Miss White America pageants, and perhaps broadcast Euro-American cultural events which would be part of the multicultural lanscape.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'll agree with your comments and it's only been like this for the last decade or so. The BET that started many years ago is very different from the BET we currently have. If BET really wanted to be the channel that appealed to black people they'd have better programming. I had high hopes for TVOne but they only seem capable of running reruns. When are we going to have a sitcom with a black cast that isn't a fall-down, slap happy comedy? I think the last one might have been Roc or South Central and that's a shame.

And the answer would be because at one point in time white people did have those things and BET is a result of that. You all seem to act like BET just popped up yesterday.

And while we may all want everything to be vanilla ice cream so as not to offend anyone the television networks are well aware that different things appeal to different groups of people. When they do surveys they may find that their largest audience segment is white males between the ages of 18-23...so then they make sure the show keeps appealing to white males between the ages of 18-23. This isn't racist...it's marketing.

There's a reason why you see more tampon commercials on Lifetime than you do on Spike. There's a reason you see the KY ads on VH1 but not on Nickelodeon. Everything is aimed at something. When ideas are being pitched the first question they ask is "who is our audience" If you don't know who your audience is; then how do you market it?

If anything BET's content is anti-black but people aren't really upset about the content, they're upset because BET has a target demographic.
Perhaps when all is said and done the best response would be to ask, Why can't white folks have TV networks and other institutions that are specifically for and about white folks, i.e. Euro-Americans? Before you answer that, let's be clear that there is no TV network that fits that criteria. NBC is not specifically for white folks. A White Woman's Knitting Club is taboo in our society. Why can black folks have these things and whites cannot?

Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Perhaps when all is said and done the best response would be to ask, Why can't white folks have TV networks and other institutions that are specifically for and about white folks, i.e. Euro-Americans? Before you answer that, let's be clear that there is no TV network that fits that criteria. NBC is not specifically for white folks. A White Woman's Knitting Club is taboo in our society. Why can black folks have these things and whites cannot?

See this is why you will never get it. BET has never once said they were specifically for black folks. The original purpose was to provide entertainment that appealed to a black audience because the other networks were failing to do so. There is a difference.

So what is wrong with another network realizing that and putting that programming on the air? (Not that BET does that anymore but they used to when they first started) It's called concentrated marketing, you go after the audience that is being ignored by the competition.

Perhaps when all is said and done, the best response is you just cannot understand.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
See this is why you will never get it. BET has never once said they were specifically for black folks. The original purpose was to provide entertainment that appealed to a black audience because the other networks were failing to do so. There is a difference.

So what is wrong with another network realizing that and putting that programming on the air? (Not that BET does that anymore but they used to when they first started) It's called concentrated marketing, you go after the audience that is being ignored by the competition.

Perhaps when all is said and done, the best response is you just cannot understand.
Since the Civil Rights Revolution we have become a society in flux. Do we become a multicultural society or do we try to have a melting pot culture? Right now we have both. If you are black, then it is multicultural since blacks have their own clubs, organizations, etc. If you are white, then it is melting pot since it is taboo for whites to have exclusively white organizations, clubs etc. Over the last thirty years integration has been difficult for many people. What's more, there is evidence that segregated schools make for a better learning environment for their respective students. To go further, some believe that a measure of segregation makes for a more tranquil daily life. The opposite argument is that if we assimilate together, those things that cause racial strife will eventually vanish.

So, which way will America go in the years ahead? If we go to a melting pot social make-up then all-black organizations and other enterprises will disappear. If they don't then we will have by definition a multiculturial social design. If the latter is the case then whites, i.e. Euro-Americans, will be afforded those clubs, organizations, and so forth. White Miss America pageants may well be a part of that, as will ordinary white-oriented clubs, and very possibly TV networks. But a WET would be only one of countless ingredients that would make-up a multicultural country.

I have no doubt that some white folks complain about BET because of some sort of odd jealousy. But other white folks want to see America come together into a single, albeit varied American culture free of racial problems. To those people any kind of socially allowed, unchallenged example of racial segregation is seen as a small piece of continued racial division. BET is generally considerd to be just one of an infinite number of examples. BET is perhaps not the best example, but it may be the most well-known one.

So, when I talk of BET, I'm really talking of an example of a double-standard, a double-standard that will undoubtedly be challenged, one way or the other, in the years ahead.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:16 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Well, a WET would be excluded from pressures to have integrated programming. But a WET would be just a part of the America as a multicultural society. A WET would probably air Miss White America pageants, and perhaps broadcast Euro-American cultural events which would be part of the multicultural lanscape.
I say knock yourself out. If you want a WET network go for it. But keep in mind you'd be competing with Fox News, Country Music Television, and host of other networks that would be fighting for similar audiences.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I say knock yourself out. If you want a WET network go for it. But keep in mind you'd be competing with Fox News, Country Music Television, and host of other networks that would be fighting for similar audiences.
I pointed that out in my post (that BET went for the audience that the other stations were ignoring) but it somehow got overlooked. Guess it's not really that important in the game of "it's not fair" I have to wonder if the world "black" wasn't in the name would there even be so many complaints. I haven't seen anyone tantrum about the other channels...perhaps it's the word black that makes BET an easy target.

My question would be how; how would a WET network be any different from ABC, CBS, NBC & Fox?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:50 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Since the Civil Rights Revolution we have become a society in flux. Do we become a multicultural society or do we try to have a melting pot culture? Right now we have both. If you are black, then it is multicultural since blacks have their own clubs, organizations, etc. If you are white, then it is melting pot since it is taboo for whites to have exclusively white organizations, clubs etc. Over the last thirty years integration has been difficult for many people. What's more, there is evidence that segregated schools make for a better learning environment for their respective students. To go further, some believe that a measure of segregation makes for a more tranquil daily life. The opposite argument is that if we assimilate together, those things that cause racial strife will eventually vanish.

So, which way will America go in the years ahead? If we go to a melting pot social make-up then all-black organizations and other enterprises will disappear. If they don't then we will have by definition a multiculturial social design. If the latter is the case then whites, i.e. Euro-Americans, will be afforded those clubs, organizations, and so forth. White Miss America pageants may well be a part of that, as will ordinary white-oriented clubs, and very possibly TV networks. But a WET would be only one of countless ingredients that would make-up a multicultural country.

I have no doubt that some white folks complain about BET because of some sort of odd jealousy. But other white folks want to see America come together into a single, albeit varied American culture free of racial problems. To those people any kind of socially allowed, unchallenged example of racial segregation is seen as a small piece of continued racial division. BET is generally considerd to be just one of an infinite number of examples. BET is perhaps not the best example, but it may be the most well-known one.

So, when I talk of BET, I'm really talking of an example of a double-standard, a double-standard that will undoubtedly be challenged, one way or the other, in the years ahead.
It would be a double standard if no White Americans ever appeared on any BET programming that is clearly not the case. Again there is nothing stopping a White American from watching BET aside from their own willingness to do so.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:53 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Galio is being very superficial. He is more concerned about what something is “Called” or labeled, than what it is in actuality. A historically black college, with 10% white enrollment, is no more an exclusively black college than any university with 90% white enrollment is a "white college". Hence, one might ask….”If you can have black colleges why can’t we have white colleges”? However, in truth, the “Black” college is no more an exclusively black college than the nearly all white college is exclusively white. So in essence, whites already have the functional equivalent of “White colleges” just as much as blacks have the functional equivalent of “black colleges”, the only difference being one of semantics or labeling.

The situation is no different from a WET or BET. If you ignore the labels and just look at the functions, BET is not exclusively black and FOX is not exclusively white. One has a majority black demographic and target market and one has a majority white demographic and target market. Hence, there already exist functional equivalents of BET for whites……with the ONLY difference being the semantics and marketing of what they are called. The functionally white networks are not marketed using the label or qualifier “White” while the functionally black network, BET, is marketed mentioning the target demographic. The target demographic for Fox is white, directly or indirectly. They just do not mention it in the marketing and package.

Galio and other are being totally disingenuous if you give them credit for intelligence. They are obfuscating the issue by focusing on semantics rather the functional substance of what is being delivered. White already have a WET in function and substance as much as blacks have a BET in function and substance, because none of them are exclusively black and BET is even owned by whites. I would say if anything…….if black people just drop the label “Black” and Market things to the black demographic…….would whites still complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies