Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 AM

646 posts, read 393,990 times

Advertisements

why do people think that laws are racist. I have heard some lefties say that conservatives don't care about minorities, because they want to cut social programs. um, are you assuming that only minorities are using social programs? if so, who is the racist? why is it that cutting off funding for social programs is viewed as conservatives not caring about minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 AM

783 posts, read 815,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
why do people think that laws are racist. I have heard some lefties say that conservatives don't care about minorities, because they want to cut social programs. um, are you assuming that only minorities are using social programs? if so, who is the racist? why is it that cutting off funding for social programs is viewed as conservatives not caring about minorities?
Cuting welfare spending is not racist but it is detrimental in terms of reducing poverty not just amongst minorities but allso amongst whites.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Yea, I know the anti-illegal immigration crowd is going to get pissed by S.B 1070 in Arizona had the potential to be racist in that it ask a law enforcement official to determine if "Probable Cause" exist to determine if somebody they stop or arrest might be an illegal alien. I'm in no way advocating illegal immigration but there is the potential to use racial profiling as "Probable Cause" is a major drawback in the law.

The fact that there is a large Latino population is Arizona means that more Latino’s are likely to be targeted than other groups. Therefore, it can (and will in court) be argued that the law is potentially discriminatory.

I’m in no way in favor of illegal immigration but S.B 1070 is bad way to address the issue. It says more about the federal government’s inability to come up with a comprehensive program to deal with illegal immigration than anything else.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:22 AM

in the case of the arizona law, first, I don't live in arizona, so I don't really care. however, aren't they only allowed to question possible criminals? I don't really have a problem with that. if they were stopping people on the street for no reason, then I'd have a problem with that. but if they are just questioning people who are already in trouble for something else, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Yea, I know the anti-illegal immigration crowd is going to get pissed by S.B 1070 in Arizona had the potential to be racist in that it ask a law enforcement official to determine if "Probable Cause" exist to determine if somebody they stop or arrest might be an illegal alien. I'm in no way advocating illegal immigration but there is the potential to use racial profiling as "Probable Cause" is a major drawback in the law.

The fact that there is a large Latino population is Arizona means that more Latino’s are likely to be targeted than other groups. Therefore, it can (and will in court) be argued that the law is potentially discriminatory.

I’m in no way in favor of illegal immigration but S.B 1070 is bad way to address the issue. It says more about the federal government’s inability to come up with a comprehensive program to deal with illegal immigration than anything else.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 AM

54 posts, read 111,975 times
Quote:
Some laws can be racist. Before the 14th Amendment, blacks could not be considered U.S. citizens. That's 'racist', i.e. treating one race different from another.

The funny thing about conservatives (and Americans more generally) is that you want all government-funded social programmes to end, but then you have to spend all this money on police and private security to defend yourself against the hoards of poor people who resort to a life of crime to make ends meet.

If you look at the statistics of most-industrialized nations (where taxes are generally much higher than in the USA), you can see a link between the extent of social welfare programmes and the amount of crime that exists.

I know, I know, you still prefer to sit in your tract home with the shades drawn and your pistol in your hand ready to defend yourself, rather than let social parasites live off the taxes you pay from the job you have and that these parasites could easily find if they weren't lazy. Yeah, I've heard this song-and-dance before (*yawn*). It's the Great American Creation Story you tell yourselves because reality is too complex to deal with.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 AM

I know I know. I have heard your song and dance before too. social programs improve people's lives. people on welfare have just been dealt a rough hand. I got bad news for you. the majority of people on public assistance don't need money for food, they need a class in money management. you need two things in life. food and water. there was life before the internet, cable, and cell phones. those things are, or at least should be, earned. there's no one starving in the streets in this country, and if they are, they are usually addicts, or have mental problems. people don't resort to crime, criminals do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedster View Post
Some laws can be racist. Before the 14th Amendment, blacks could not be considered U.S. citizens. That's 'racist', i.e. treating one race different from another.

The funny thing about conservatives (and Americans more generally) is that you want all government-funded social programmes to end, but then you have to spend all this money on police and private security to defend yourself against the hoards of poor people who resort to a life of crime to make ends meet.

If you look at the statistics of most-industrialized nations (where taxes are generally much higher than in the USA), you can see a link between the extent of social welfare programmes and the amount of crime that exists.

I know, I know, you still prefer to sit in your tract home with the shades drawn and your pistol in your hand ready to defend yourself, rather than let social parasites live off the taxes you pay from the job you have and that these parasites could easily find if they weren't lazy. Yeah, I've heard this song-and-dance before (*yawn*). It's the Great American Creation Story you tell yourselves because reality is too complex to deal with.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:46 AM

54 posts, read 111,975 times
Quote:
I know I know. I have heard your song and dance before too. social programs improve people's lives. people on welfare have just been dealt a rough hand. I got bad news for you. the majority of people on public assistance don't need money for food, they need a class in money management. you need two things in life. food and water. there was life before the internet, cable, and cell phones. those things are, or at least should be, earned. there's no one starving in the streets in this country, and if they are, they are usually addicts, or have mental problems. people don't resort to crime, criminals do.
No, social programmes don't improve people's lives, it just keeps them afloat so they don't go trying to rob your house.

And if you think that 'normal' people never resort to crime, you'd better start reading the newspaper because Martha Stewart, Leona Helmsley, the CEO of Enron, and countless other white-collar millionaires all committed crimes that through the state legal process you the taxpayer have to foot, which cost you more than the measly sums certain people on welfare get.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:50 AM

those people you named aren't normal people, they're criminals. I think you should actually go to a city, and see the causes of poverty. it's not caused by bad luck, it's caused by bad decision making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedster View Post
No, social programmes don't improve people's lives, it just keeps them afloat so they don't go trying to rob your house.

And if you think that 'normal' people never resort to crime, you'd better start reading the newspaper because Martha Stewart, Leona Helmsley, the CEO of Enron, and countless other white-collar millionaires all committed crimes that through the state legal process you the taxpayer have to foot, which cost you more than the measly sums certain people on welfare get.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Of course laws can be racist in nature. Its called institutionalized discrimination. When laws or policies are passed that give bonus points strictly based on sex or race that is discrimination.
It used to be that minorities what jobs they could do in the Military. Example cook or clerk.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Quote:
those people you named aren't normal people, they're criminals. I think you should actually go to a city, and see the causes of poverty. it's not caused by bad luck, it's caused by bad decision making.
Not true.

Majority of welfare recipients white, non-urban, study reveals | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

In the inner-city, I seen with my own eye's the abuse of Social programs provided by our state and country from alot of people. The abuse is being done everywhere in Rural area, Suburbs and the Hoods of America.

I don't see it as being Racist. I see it as being ignorant. Conservatives associating Welfare only to minorities!

Last edited by Mr. Opinion; 08-31-2010 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies