Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,361 times

Advertisements

News Flash Ultra Right-wingers, WE'RE NOT A CHRISTIAN NATION.

God, the Bible, and Jesus have nothing to do with the civil laws of this country. You are the people who hijcack my faith and religion and use it to propagate hateful, incidiary, racist and bigoted laws and regulations against, gays, blacks, minorities, non-Christians, atheists, other nations.

Religion is fine to dictate the actions in YOUR life, but don't use your religion and faith to dictate other people's actions and life. To do such is an exact infringment upon everyone's right to life, liberty and happiness.

If you think this is anti-Christian, then you really are a lunatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I am sure that the majority of people on the left practice Christianity. Just because some do not wish to force their beliefs on everyone else does not make them anti-Christian. It is quite hypocrytical to shout about freedom and our constitution and then to belittle people that do not share the same beliefs as yourself.

Why is it that all the nut jobs that do things like burn Korans or say that they don't want gay people attending their churches are Conservatives? How can you call yourself a Christian and say that you do not want certain people at your church? That is such a contradiction of what Christianity is about. Christianity preaches forgiveness, tolerance and love. Yet some so-called Christians are the most unforgiving, intolerant, hateful people that I know. Jesus would not have an issue with gay people going to his church, yet there are people calling themselves Christian that do. This is why I don't go to church because I don't wish to align myself with people like this.
This is one of the major reasons I have not attended any church in about 30 years.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I am an economic liberal that happens to be an agnostic. I would never dream of forcing my view of the sacred world on others. I deeply resent their trying to force theirs on me. I fear fanatics, Muslim or Kristian, that want to use the force of government to convert me to their world view.

As far as heaven and hell are concerned I have been to the latter and do not expect the former. I just expect to eventually die.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcq lv View Post
can't say for anyone else, but the reason i 'defend' the mosque two blocks from 'ground zero' is the same reason i would defend any christian group that wanted to build a church there, or any jewish group that wanted to build a synagogue there. It's because of the first amendment right to religious freedom in this country. Note that i'm not saying it should be built, but that they have the right to build it as long as they've complied with local zoning laws. And, btw, i am a christian.
+1

Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease
I am sure that the majority of people on the left practice Christianity. Just because some do not wish to force their beliefs on everyone else does not make them anti-Christian. It is quite hypocrytical to shout about freedom and our constitution and then to belittle people that do not share the same beliefs as yourself.

Why is it that all the nut jobs that do things like burn Korans or say that they don't want gay people attending their churches are Conservatives? How can you call yourself a Christian and say that you do not want certain people at your church? That is such a contradiction of what Christianity is about. Christianity preaches forgiveness, tolerance and love. Yet some so-called Christians are the most unforgiving, intolerant, hateful people that I know. Jesus would not have an issue with gay people going to his church, yet there are people calling themselves Christian that do. This is why I don't go to church because I don't wish to align myself with people like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
This is one of the major reasons I have not attended any church in about 30 years.
Me the same as you two. Which box do we fit into. The church, Baptist one, changed on me. So I stopped going. Several years ago in college studying literature it was brought to my attention that many preachers use John Milton (1608-1674) as a source for their sermons. Milton is taught to them in seminary school. They don't even use the Bible, they use John Milton. What, is John the Baptist boring. They teach, but they teach utilizing alternate material.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times
It's hard to like people who worship a god who called them "flawed" from day one, and sent them to slaughter the hordes in his name, and image.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Why is the ultra right seem to be so anti-literacy? LOL

Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
It's hard to like people who worship a god who called them "flawed" from day one, and sent them to slaughter the hordes in his name, and image.
Yes, if that happened it would definitely tick me off. It's has always been amazing to me the length people will go so as to justify their bitter actions.

PS: I thank the Lord Jesus that He sees me as perfect. Lord knows, I see myself as flawed.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 09-14-2010 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: ps

Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I think it's because of those on the far right who try to force their religious agenda on the US even though we have a separation of church and state.
I'm an ultra-conservative and an avowed atheist who delights in putting down christians at every opportunity, so that blows your theory.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Evangelicals continue to use the angle of claiming liberals attack all Christians when in fact most of these liberals are Christians themselves and specifically direct their criticisms toward Evangelicals for not respecting the separation of church and state and trying to impose their beliefs on the public. They do not criticize Christians in general or all Christians but rather that subset of fundamentalist Christians who make up Evangelicals.
I, personally, mock all religious people whenever possible.
If I know your religion and religious beliefs, then I feel that you deserve mocking.
Keep it private and I have no problem with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The ultra left are statists. Government is their god. They also beleive in oppression. It's difficult to get away with oppressing people when they have religion.

The communists are a good example of this.
Do tell, anything but your opinion? Anything at all?
Religion is extremely oppressive; how do most of them treat women?

Last edited by chielgirl; 09-14-2010 at 05:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies