Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
I am not a left-winger, but to an extent I consider myself anti-Christian. At least in regards that I do not believe in God(s) nor the afterlife and I think certain Evangelical Christian positions (like support for Creationism) are downright foolish and intellectually destructive. However, the more moderate and less intrusive a Christian or Christian sect are, the less anti-Christian I become.

In regards to the ultra-left, you need to understand that the ultra-left (be it anarchists to hardcore "Progressives" to Communists to hippies) basically believe that the status quo must be abolished. It is not so much that they are anti-Christian per se, it is just that Christianity is the most common religion in the West. That is why you see so many of these people either defending Islam (even when they are self-proclaimed militant atheists) or at least equating it to Christianity or the West in general:

"Oh, so the Taliban decapitate and stone homosexuals. America isn't perfect either. Gays can't even get married in most states."

"They want Sharia law in the West, well, we have the Ten Commandments in some courtrooms in the South."

The West (and America in particular) are evil and hopelessly flawed in their eyes. So, they oppose anything that might be associated with the West (except for their own very Western ideologies). Christianity is viewed as Western; therefor they must be opposed to Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I am not a left-winger, but to an extent I consider myself anti-Christian. At least in regards that I do not believe in God(s) nor the afterlife and I think certain Evangelical Christian positions (like support for Creationism) are downright foolish and intellectually destructive. However, the more moderate and less intrusive a Christian or Christian sect are, the less anti-Christian I become.

In regards to the ultra-left, you need to understand that the ultra-left (be it anarchists to hardcore "Progressives" to Communists to hippies) basically believe that the status quo must be abolished. It is not so much that they are anti-Christian per se, it is just that Christianity is the most common religion in the West. That is why you see so many of these people either defending Islam (even when they are self-proclaimed militant atheists) or at least equating it to Christianity or the West in general:

"Oh, so the Taliban decapitate and stone homosexuals. America isn't perfect either. Gays can't even get married in most states."

"They want Sharia law in the West, well, we have the Ten Commandments in some courtrooms in the South."

The West (and America in particular) are evil and hopelessly flawed in their eyes. So, they oppose anything that might be associated with the West (except for their own very Western ideologies). Christianity is viewed as Western; therefor they must be opposed to Christianity.

While I agree with your first paragraph completely, I do not agree with the rest of your post.

The point that I express quite regularly and clearly is that the US needs to clean house before it complains about whatpeople in other countries do. So long as we're not providing civil rights for 100% of our population, it is simply hypocritical to complain about the civil rights violations (based on US beliefs) of others.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 AM

646 posts, read 394,234 times
what is a "civil right" and who's being denied it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
While I agree with your first paragraph completely, I do not agree with the rest of your post.

The point that I express quite regularly and clearly is that the US needs to clean house before it complains about whatpeople in other countries do. So long as we're not providing civil rights for 100% of our population, it is simply hypocritical to complain about the civil rights violations (based on US beliefs) of others.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,833 times
Quote:
Big difference between some gay people not being able to get married versus being stoned to death or having a hand hacked off don'cha think?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Big difference between some gay people not being able to get married versus being stoned to death or having a hand hacked off don'cha think?
Don't you think you need to clean up all of the problems in the US before you point out the wrongs of elsewhere.
Your energy would be better spent fixing your own country rather than wasting your breath on another.

How about our poor living on the streets; the women being sexually assaulted frequently; children living on the streets; people dying of cold and starvation in the US.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics
http://www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/
http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...ime_rates.html

Fix that stuff first, then look elsewhere.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 AM

646 posts, read 394,234 times
I'm still waiting for my definition of a civil right, and who is being denied them. I take your comments very seriously. everywhere I go, I see poor people living on the streets, and freezing to death, and starving. that's something that's happening on every street corner in america.

Quote:
Don't you think you need to clean up all of the problems in the US before you point out the wrongs of elsewhere.
Your energy would be better spent fixing your own country rather than wasting your breath on another.

How about our poor living on the streets; the women being sexually assaulted frequently; children living on the streets; people dying of cold and starvation in the US.

Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
The 2010 Statistical Abstract: Crimes and Crime Rates

Fix that stuff first, then look elsewhere.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Not being able to get married to the person I was deeply in love with, and wanted to raise a family with, would be worse than having a hand cut off. It would be like having a hole where my heart should be.

Who are any of YOU to dictate who is allowed to get married when both parties are over the age of 18 and are humans?

P.S. I am a married hetero Mother of 3.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
I don't have any problems with Christianity or Christians worshiping on their own time or on private property. Nor do I have a problem with Christians setting up scenes or displays on public property.

On the other hand: I absolutely reserve the right to challenge the revisionist history some Christians are putting out there particularly in regards to separation of church and state and the notion of America being founded as a Christian state.

I also will criticize public institutions that use their authority to promote Christianity or exclude other religions.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with pointing out barbarism in other nations. Thank God we don't get hauled away to a gulag for being of the wrong religion or criticizing the "dear leader".

Quote:
How about our poor living on the streets;
There are ample programs to help the poor (private and public).

Quote:
the women being sexually assaulted frequently;
I guess you would prefer honor killings of women like in Iran or Afghanistan?

Quote:
children living on the streets;
Are subject to being taken in by the state and cared for.

Quote:
people dying of cold and starvation in the US.
I don't know of any Americans dying of hunger. Food stamps exist for the poor. And, why are poor people fat then?

Your points are the perfect illustration of the pathology of Leftism. Love the weak and hate the strong. Because America is strong it is to be reviled and all of its problems are to have a spotlight shown upon it. But, other nations or any entity or group seen as not having power is given a pass. It is just as stupid and dogmatic as Rightism.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Not being able to get married to the person I was deeply in love with, and wanted to raise a family with, would be worse than having a hand cut off. It would be like having a hole where my heart should be.

Who are any of YOU to dictate who is allowed to get married when both parties are over the age of 18 and are humans?
Hey, I don't care if gay people get married or not. I'm not some conservative Christian nutbag. I was just illustrating how brainwashed and idiotic the Left is.

And, why the hell do gays want to get married? So, they can be miserable just like straight married people? Seriously...marriage sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies