Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptroop View Post
Good point. Unfortunately for your argument, the Bible has sufficient evidence to prove that slavery was permissible under God's laws. In fact, the Bible goes so far as to set out rules governing slavery and the slave trade.

For example, "[i]f you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go out as a free man without payment. ... But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man,' then his master shall bring him to God, then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently." Exodus, 21:2.

This passage (from the same book where Moses leads the people out of Egypt and away from ... slavery) not only says that slavery is OK, but also says that enslaving a Hebrew is OK. So, Moses was leading people out of slavery to be subject to laws that envisioned enslaving them.

I don't know what this means. But I do know this ... Don't mess with Texas.

I'm not sure. I think the issue is simply that mere correlation between the Bible and the Bill of Rights is insufficient evidence to conclude that the United States Constitution contemplates a Christian ethos.
I knew the answer had to be in the usage of the word If.

Man's laws concerning slavery could not be abolished.

If a slave desired to continue with his master, he would have a mark made in the ear to signify that he had chosen to remain a slave (Ex. 21:5-6).

What you are reading is the only way they knew in how to deal with man's laws concerning slavery was through a humanitarian covenant, between slave and master. Of course God is their inspiration in so doing.

Here is more compare and contrast coming at you:
Quote:
The only thing that can be done here is to compare and contrast our structures of society with theirs. We do not sell ourselves into slavery when impoverished, and we do not sell daughters as concubines. But in that society, and in ours, we can say that God prohibits those who have control or care of other people from abusing that power by requiring them to treat them magnanimously and kindly, or relinquish their control over them.
One area of application could be the employer-employee relationship; another could be marriage. People should not feel trapped hopelessly in a harsh, unfortunate situation. Israel was not to repeat the bondage of Egypt. People must be given a chance for their freedom; they must have hope. http://www.christianleadershipcenter.org/exod.36.pdf
I am a born and raised Texan. I agree with you 'Don't Mess with Texas', however, several years ago, the authorities busted a slave ring in Ft. Worth. That is what happens when man refuses to listen to God, he forces his will onto others.

Also, we will have to agree to disagree concerning the United States Constitution and the Bible's influence over the people who wrote it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I am a born and raised Texan. I agree with you 'Don't Mess with Texas', however, several years ago, the authorities busted a slave ring in Ft. Worth. That is what happens when man refuses to listen to God, he forces his will onto others.

Also, we will have to agree to disagree concerning the United States Constitution and the Bible's influence over the people who wrote it.
Were there not slaves in the bible?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:41 AM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, but slavery is not the word of Christ. Interestingly, despite slavery being somewhat common at that time, Christ was probably the first abolitionist.

I guess liberals being against principles of Christianity would suggest that the liberals, in addition to embracing other forms of tyranny, as somewhat pro-slavery. Certainly this is in thier democratic heritage. Islam and tyranny are good bedfellows, as the principles of Islam do not necessarily conflict with fascism. Keep in mind that there were two Muslim SS divisions and that Hitler was rather chummy with Islam.

Liberalism has been on the side of evil and tyranny since its inception, and it is not suprising as all that most would be anti-Christian. Liberals embrace the evil of Islam and ignore thier barbaric tendencies, simply because it is a natural foil against Christianity. Thier marching orders from the Frankfurt School and Stalin have programmed them to attack Christianity, and, as useful idiots, they are just following orders.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
That is what the rest of the post you left out was about, the conditions in the ancient world were such that slavery could not be abolished; and man has not changed since.

Even though our laws have changed, the basic need of man to own people has not changed. Here in America and all across the world today, people are kept in bondage.

Just so as we understand each other, the Bible is a historical account of the conditions of society during those years.

Did you know that upon the interpretation of the Bible to the present day language, all copies were burned, but just one, that was in a vault. It is amazing to me that documentation of any kind has survived all of these years through all of man's meanness.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
So, were there not slaves in the bible?
How do you, meaning christers in general, demand that some of the bible be followed as truth and what they don't want to be followed as "history" or not important?

Talk about cafeteria christers.
Take what works for them at the time and use it against people when they feel like it.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:27 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes, but slavery is not the word of Christ. Interestingly, despite slavery being somewhat common at that time, Christ was probably the first abolitionist.

I guess liberals being against principles of Christianity would suggest that the liberals, in addition to embracing other forms of tyranny, as somewhat pro-slavery. Certainly this is in thier democratic heritage. Islam and tyranny are good bedfellows, as the principles of Islam do not necessarily conflict with fascism. Keep in mind that there were two Muslim SS divisions and that Hitler was rather chummy with Islam.

Liberalism has been on the side of evil and tyranny since its inception, and it is not suprising as all that most would be anti-Christian. Liberals embrace the evil of Islam and ignore thier barbaric tendencies, simply because it is a natural foil against Christianity. Thier marching orders from the Frankfurt School and Stalin have programmed them to attack Christianity, and, as useful idiots, they are just following orders.
Very well explained.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
So, were there not slaves in the bible?
How do you, meaning christers in general, demand that some of the bible be followed as truth and what they don't want to be followed as "history" or not important?

Talk about cafeteria christers.
Take what works for them at the time and use it against people when they feel like it.
Who has told you that there were not slaves in ancient society times?

lol, and that is how it has come to be that in Christianity there are many who disagree, thus they adopt new doctrine, keep what they want and throw out what they don't want. It is those opposing views that are expressed by the OP.

In some social structures you, not you, but those in general with opposing views, expressed in curtain manners, they are shysters, those not truly wishing to understand, but seek attention instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies