Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,621,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
All jihadists may be Muslim, but not all Muslims are jihadists. I think it would be great to keep it that way, considering the numbers we are talking about.
if there is concern about them becoming jihadists over something this small and stupid then they are jihadists in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,041,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
if there is concern about them becoming jihadists over something this small and stupid then they are jihadists in my book.
Why poke the bear? What really gets accomplished? There is no guarantee that you will get stung by the bees who's nest you mess with... but the odds go up substantially. That is all I need to know. Feel free to test that beehive theory out, it is your right. But please try to limit others from getting stung, as they can reason cause and effect without testing it....

Old 09-08-2010, 03:59 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,621,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Why poke the bear? What really gets accomplished? There is no guarantee that you will get stung by the bees who's nest you mess with... but the odds go up substantially. That is all I need to know. Feel free to test that beehive theory out, it is your right. But please try to limit others from getting stung, as they can reason cause and effect without testing it....
I'm sorry...I think it's naive to think that otherwise law-abiding, peaceful people will suddenly become motivated to strap bombs to their chests in hopes of 72 virgins over this. I just don't think so...sorry.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:07 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,041,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm sorry...I think it's naive to think that otherwise law-abiding, peaceful people will suddenly become motivated to strap bombs to their chests in hopes of 72 virgins over this. I just don't think so...sorry.
And if your thinking is incorrect, so be it? History is ripe with poor judgment. Why tempt it? For what means?

Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,863,274 times
Goverment schools around the country are encouraging parents to include toilet paper in their back to school purchases. The Rev. should just contribute all those Korans to his local school district for use as toilet paper. That would help solve the TP shortage; be more environmentally friendly and the proper use for that particular 'book'.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,253,889 times
Default perception is reality so reality doesn't matter

I'm not for burning the Koran but dam, when its ok to burn the American flag and not the Koran, something is off the rails.

Consider that a stone age culture w/o cable and 24/7 news is being fed whatever tripe whoever wants to feed them. The Koran doesn't need to be burned to incite their anger, someone just has to say the US burns Korans.

Close Gitmo, build the GZ mosque, no cartoons or the gentle religion inseperable from the culture will sanction your death..... oh no, we're doing it out of respect.

Now we're into global PC!
So many cultures and just so many freedoms left.
At some point we will have been dissolved into nothingness as we give away our culture in deference to whatever crawls out from under a rock

American flags and cigarette lighters sell like hot cakes in the nether regions of the world. How does that make you feel?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
But a small percentage of Radical Muslims represents the much larger percentage of normal, non-radical Muslims right?
There's plenty of non-radicals who get their kicks trampling the U.S. flag, which I take to be as offensive as some churchers burning that book which, BTW, none of the churchers can even read.

It's just a symbolic gesture by some people who frankly, have the right to do so. A right to be cherished, much the same as the cherishing the Muslim right to stone women to death.

You know, the law, as commanded by Islam. Or usurped by its adherents.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 AM

57,357 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I didn't say he's questioning the Constitutionality. I said he shouldn't weigh in unless he intends to weigh in on every Constitutionally-protected forms of speech that are detrimental to troop welfare. There are many ways that free speech is detrimental - I used flag burning as an example. Why should he stop at the Quran? Why not tackle other issues such as flag-burning that has in the past had detrimental effects on troop morale in times of war?

The point is that there's no logical reason to open that can of worms unless he intends to tackle every concievable form of speech that harms his troops.
Petraeus comments are only directed towards the protection of his troops and achieving peace in Afghanistan and Iraq not the constitutional issues. Why would he care about flag burnings that do not endanger his troops. He has been over there for 10 years and understands that this will adversely affect peace efforts.

There is no comparison to flag burnings this is a holy book for a religion. They don’t trust us already and things like this just confirm their mistrust. I can’t believe that any rational person would actually support this.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:35 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I don't understand what cave people are living in that they don't realize that there are hundreds of thousands of AMERICAN BORN CITIZENS who are Muslim.....that they don't realize that many Muslims died in the World Trade Center tragedy....that they don't realize that there are thousands of American Muslim soldiers who are putting their lives on this line for this country at this very moment. Muslims are not some strange creatures. They are your neighbors and your fellow citizens. In addition there are millions of peaceful Muslims around the world who are living their lives without harming another soul.

To pretend that it is somehow alright to insult fellow citizens, endanger the lives of our brave troops, and shame our country around the world is utterly unAmerican and against everything for which we stand. The day that we start believing it is the way to deal with those with whom we differ is the day that the terrorist have really won.
Exactly, very well said.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 AM

57,357 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Perhaps you can provide PROOF that burning the book will hurt the security of the American forces.

Or is it just like Jack Murtha telling the world that our soldiers were hunting down innocent Muslim woman and children and killing them in cold blood.
Yes don't listen to General Petraeus what does he know about muslims and terrorists. Tell me what would constitute your PROOF???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies