Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
" Liberalism may therefore be evolutionarily novel, and the Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely than less intelligent individuals to espouse liberalism as a value.

Analyses of large representative samples, from both the United States and the United Kingdom, confirm this prediction. In both countries, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to be liberals than less intelligent children. For example, among the American sample, those who identify themselves as “very liberal” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 106.4, whereas those who identify themselves as “very conservative” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 94.8."

Read the entire article here,
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201003/why-liberals-are-more-intelligent-conservatives
Any link to the actual study? I could care less what this article says if it does not properly cite its sources.

How are we to know this isn't simply another wasted epidemiological study using a poorly constructed test bed and heavily reliant on mathematical applications that attempt to "solve" the unknowns?

Please cite the original research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 PM

97 posts, read 110,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
What I've found is that overwhelmingly with self-described Liberals and Conservatives is that Conservatives tend to think and react logically on most things whereas Liberals tend to think and react emotionally on most things.
Both use a mixture of logic and emotion to suit their agenda. I think it depends on the individual, not the ideology as a whole. Some conservatives like Sarah Palin and a lot of her strongest supporters have an entirely emotion based ideology. I have spoken to a lot of conservatives who don't know much about logic and facts but talk about faith, patriotism, tradition, etc in beautiful and sometimes nostalgic ways that motivates them to want to "take their country back" and all that good stuff. That's great and all, but it's all feeling, no substance. At the same time, you have people like NJ governor Chris Christie, who is a conservative as you described, that uses logic. Liberals clearly have their share of people who talk about society caring for the poor, giving back to society, and ensuring quality health care for all in emotional ways with no substance to the argument, no doubt. But I recently spoke to a CPA (obviously a rational, logic, numbers guy) who considers himself a progressive and uses reasoning, data, logic, and pragmatic arguments to back up his assertions. All I'm saying is emotion and logic can both be found on both sides of the spectrum.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Does this make the OP feel better, smarter, superior?
I mean really what is the purpose of the thread other than to pound on your chest and say in effect, "We're # 1 We're #1.

It is pretty funny actually!!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,249 times
Hypothesis. Yes, the article stated that several times. In other words, they developed a statistical study based on a hunch (the hypothesis) that liberals were more intelligent than conservatives. They did use a large mixed population, which means they had a wide array of subjects. In this case, their hunch (hypothesis) was shown to be probable.

I disagree that liberals are any more illogical than conservatives. In fact, I'd posturethere are more liberals that are logical thinkers than there are conservatives logical thinkers. More scientists are liberal than they are conservative. But, on how do we define logical?

I'd say most tea party people are pretty emotional. Glenn Beck is a conservative. He's emotional. Rush is emotional. Hannity is emotional. Sarah is emotional.

The Christian conservatives take a very illogical stance. No offense to Christians, but they do believe in some pretty unbelievable things that have not only never been proven, but have never even been probable. How did Noah get two animals of every species on one boat when we're still discovering new species?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

- Winston Churchill
Yet he needed us to save his country.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Liberals voted for 0bama, and they are all scratching their little wooden heads now, and wondering what the hell happened.
Yeah, we are wondering what happened to the Republican party and when the hell they will shut up and come up with an idea besides "No, no, no IT'S BAD BECAUSE IT'S OBAMA'S IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Old 09-13-2010, 07:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
When people brag about themselves and personal attributes one should always wonder about that for which they are compensating. This is what makes me suspicious of liberals, who appear to be as a group, to be constantly reminding anyone and everyone of their supposed intellectual superiority.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Is Obamas IQ still a big secret?
No, just his grades.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

- Winston Churchill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Liberals voted for 0bama, and they are all scratching their little wooden heads now, and wondering what the hell happened.
The poor puppies aged twenty years in the last twenty months....

Old 09-13-2010, 07:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yet he needed us to save his country.
Only because the liberals in England had been in power and thought they could appease Hitler. Repeated attempts at appeasement allowed Hitler the time to create the Luftwaffe in defiance of the Treaty of Versailles.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies