Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Typical liberal deflection away from the main point that liberals can boast all they want about their "superior" intelligence (a dubious hypothesis) but at the ballot box, conservatives hold just as much power as liberals do.

But you are right......a low-class liberal (which includes most of them) would say "f**king" instead of "darn".
Darn: Mend.

F**king: Reproduce?

I wonder if after WWII, or later; well I wonder if the Brits still say, "bloody".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
They did use a large mixed population, which means they had a wide array of subjects. In this case, their hunch (hypothesis) was shown to be probable.
And again, how large was the pool? What was their selection criteria? How did they account for unknowns? What statistical method did they use, etc...

Without that, you might as well have posted a comic from the funnies and claimed it "scientific" in its mention.

Without proper citations, its all garbage.

/shrug

Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
That's because common sense is free.

Is this some kinda inverse Jewish joke?
Sorry- I am not Jewish. Catholic by marriage.

On the average, republicans have higher IQs. However, the average IQ means very little as far as determining which political party, by analysis, makes the most sense. This is the point of contention by the OP- liberalism is ultimately more "factual" and "correct" as more people of higher IQs ascribe to this philosophy. However, as a foil, is the factual data that republicans (who are never liberals) have a higher IQ than democrats.

I do not care so much for either contention, as I realize that I have an IQ much higher than average (156), which is considered genius. Keep in mind, however, that Sharon Stone (who in my opionion is an idiot) has the identical IQ. The contentions of liberalism are the antithesis of common sense and that is really all that matters. I would much rather rest the fate of my future on those who are practical in dealing with issues of daily living than an "intelllectual" who is so far detached from reality that his view of the world has no practical relevence. It is analagous to practical and theoretical physics.

I have a high IQ, and have very good common sense, and can recognize (even from the perspective of one who grew up very poor) that liberals are insane.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
" Liberalism may therefore be evolutionarily novel, and the Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely than less intelligent individuals to espouse liberalism as a value.

Analyses of large representative samples, from both the United States and the United Kingdom, confirm this prediction. In both countries, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to be liberals than less intelligent children. For example, among the American sample, those who identify themselves as “very liberal†in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 106.4, whereas those who identify themselves as “very conservative†in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 94.8."

Read the entire article here,
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201003/why-liberals-are-more-intelligent-conservatives
I take such studies with a grain of salt but on an anecdotal note will say I have seen many intelligent children from both parents of liberals and conservatives. Again, just my perception. I have worked with a lot of kids though and am fairly "Vulcan neutral" in my observation techniques.

However. There is stupid. And stupid finds its way into both parties. Look at yourself.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Conservatives hear catch words and ask no questions. Plenty of examples; Obama's a commie, an evil muslim, God created the world, etc.
To convince a conservative is not much of a challenge. That is demonstrated daily by the conservative big mouths like Limbaugh, Beck etc.
Less intelligent people are easily motivated by fear; terrorism, muslims conquering America, Commies taking over America, etc.
Many conservatives will say that liberal elected Obama. Not true. Many of those who voted for him, although Democrats, can probably be rated lower on the IQ scale.
In many of the threads it seems that many conservatives believe in this equation: intelligence means financial success, financial success means intelligence.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sorry- I am not Jewish. Catholic by marriage.

On the average, republicans have higher IQs. However, the average IQ means very little as far as determining which political party, by analysis, makes the most sense. This is the point of contention by the OP- liberalism is ultimately more "factual" and "correct" as more people of higher IQs ascribe to this philosophy. However, as a foil, is the factual data that republicans (who are never liberals) have a higher IQ than democrats.

I do not care so much for either contention, as I realize that I have an IQ much higher than average (156), which is considered genius. Keep in mind, however, that Sharon Stone (who in my opionion is an idiot) has the identical IQ. The contentions of liberalism are the antithesis of common sense and that is really all that matters. I would much rather rest the fate of my future on those who are practical in dealing with issues of daily living than an "intelllectual" who is so far detached from reality that his view of the world has no practical relevence. It is analagous to practical and theoretical physics.

I have a high IQ, and have very good common sense, and can recognize (even from the perspective of one who grew up very poor) that liberals are insane.
Congratulations on your high IQ. Anyone can claim any IQ they desire on these forums. What if your IQ was judged by the caliber of your posts?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why are numbers only given for those in early adulthood?

Are 20 somethings opinions really who we should trust when it comes to politics? I am only 24 years old and I know I had ideals only a few years ago that proved to be absolutely stupid when I graduated college and got out into the real world. I would like to see the same study, but for all age ranges.

The reason twenty-somethings were selected is because the numbers are cherry-picked to yield the desired result.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
And again, how large was the pool? What was their selection criteria? How did they account for unknowns? What statistical method did they use, etc...

Without that, you might as well have posted a comic from the funnies and claimed it "scientific" in its mention.

Without proper citations, its all garbage.

/shrug
Agreed! We would have to read the peer reviewed publication to analyze those things.

But so far, I've seen very little posted in the political group that is beyond race-bait, nonsensical, irrational, shock jock, tabloid equivalent material ready for the compost pile.

It seems to me the political group of threads is more for rants, venting, and baiting.

Sooo, pa-leese. Give me a break.

The researcher's name is, Satoshi Kanazawa. The study was published in the peer reviewed journal, Social Psychology Quarterly.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The reason twenty-somethings were selected is because the numbers are cherry-picked to yield the desired result.

but this is solid statistical evidence
which is really disturbing considering that 42.7% of all statistics are just made up.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
After seeing some posts in these threads I gotta tell ya..I have my doubts about that study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies