Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 05:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Christians will not kill people who distort the Christian message. A person can go to church one day and never again but say they are Christian. Big whoop. They don't walk the walk but just try to use the authority to bully. That happens in politics as well.
Can you say Westboro Baptist? They're christers, too.
You don't get to pick and choose who calls themselves christers, you're all self-identified.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Of course not and you know you are not listening to a true Christian when they do. Just because someone says they are Christian doesn't mean they are one.
Yet you seem to decide who is and who is not. Do you not see the irony?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Bet that was said to the Jews in Poland while they were being rounded up.

So much tolerance for others on here.
You keep spewing this comment.
Have you any historical evidence? Or is it your opinion, again.
Christers rounded up the jews.
You make anti-muslim comments frequently.
Yet you complain when others don't agree with or like your religion.
It's pretty funny.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:04 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,395,337 times

Old 11-21-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Well you have the Phelps and then you have Mother Theresa----both Christians. If you can't distinguish between the two I don't think I can do anything for you. Roll eyes.

No one is saying Christians are sinless, Christians are taught, we are all sinful. We all need to look to our own sins. Telling someone whatever they do is just great is not love---any parent will tell you that. Many Episcopalians are leaving and joining the Catholic church, same with Lutherans.
Mother Theresa?...perhaps you should read this article:
"India has no reason to be grateful to Mother Teresa"* by Sanal Edamaruku

Quote:
"The suffering of the poor is something very beautiful and the world is being very much helped by the nobility of this example of misery and suffering," said Mother Teresa.
I'm sure glad I wasn't a sick person in one of her "Homes for the dying"

Last edited by Ceist; 11-21-2010 at 07:02 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
LOL@ Christians playing the victim card. Please spare me the theatrics. Honestly can anyone but a Christian be elected to high office? Hell even a Catholic or Mormon would have a hard time getting elected. Christians are the most powerful special interest group in America.

Honestly Christians have zero right to claim they are en masse discriminated against. We live in a country where a man could find the cure for AIDS and negotiate peace in the Middle East and still not get elected to high office if he didn't pledge belief in some mythical sky daddy. Instead we have people like Sarah Palin and Rand Paul set to run the country.

Seriously in this country we have virtually no other agreed upon qualifications for our most powerful office other than you must believe in God, more specifically the Christian God. We live in a nation where Creationism is still considered a valid theory and many Americans feel it should be taught side by side with evolution in science classes. We live in a country where a President used "God told me to" as a reason to invade Iraq.

So please Christians, spare us all the drama.
Speaking of drama....Perhaps there's a reason why some people who call themselves Christians seem to almost relish the idea of being "persecuted" , so make up all this "we're being persecuted!" nonsense.
Left Behind - Wikipedia,

Maybe these people actually believe the Left Behind novels are based on something factual? 65 million copies sold????

To them, being persecuted is a sign if the "endtimes" and "tribulation" and that they will soon be raptured.

Last edited by Ceist; 11-21-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-21-2010, 06:44 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,035 times
Quote:
Of course not and you know you are not listening to a true Christian when they do. Just because someone says they are Christian doesn't mean they are one.
Yeah, no true Scotsman, whoops, I mean Christian would do something like that.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:07 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,422,743 times
As a Christian and a progressive, I understand both sides of the story. I cringe when a left-wing politician bashes Christianity, I cringe even more when a right-wing politician uses Christ as a political wedge while denying Him with his lifestyle. I cringe when the "Christian agenda" is tied to the Republican agenda of corporate welfare, eliminating social programs, cutting education, helping the rich while hurting the poor, wars, capital punishment and other such policies. I can't stand when so-called "Christians" at tea party rallies espouse ignorance, hatred and racism while claiming to represent Christ.

As for Hoarfrost's "no true Scotsman" fallacy -- this doesn't fall into that case. The Bible (the word of God) lays down several criteria for who is truly a Christian. A Christian, according to Scriptures, is one who follows Jesus Christ. One who believes in Jesus Christ while keeping God's commandments. Someone who plays lip service to Christianity for political gain, as in the case of many conservative politicians, is not necessarily Christian according to God's standard.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:13 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,422,743 times
Also, as far as the "rapture," many Christians don't believe in it. Despite popular belief, it's never mentioned in Scripture. The rapture belief started out with a fundamentalist preacher named Darby back in the 19th century. The early church never accepted it.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
There is no doubt to anyone with two eyes, two ears and a brain that it is in style to bash Christianity (along with religion in general). The Left is big on dividing people into two groups. One is the protected class that can never be criticized for anything, and the other are to be blamed for everything and branded as evil. Of course the downtrodden are always the protected class and the ones perceived as rich or powerful are in the evil group.

Blacks - protected
Muslims - protected
Illegals - protected
Poor - protected
Gays - protected

Christians - evil
Jews (Zionists & Israel) - evil
Rich - evil
Conservatives - evil

They fail to see that their hatred regarding Christians is just bigotry that happens to be in style.
Ridiculous. Boogie man nonsense. There is no large scale bigotry towards Christians in this country. Never has been, never will be. If anything, it's the bible thumpers persecuting the rest of us by constantly trying to push their faith onto those of us who don't want to hear it. To the extent that you have what little backlash there is against Christians is only because we're tired of the vestiges of the Moral Majority, Christian Coalition, and other bible thumping groups trying to shoehorn their politicians into office and applying the Bible to our laws.

According to some of the acolytes of these idiotic groups, we not only have freedom of religion, but now, we DON'T have freedom FROM religion!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies