Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support keeping the federal food stamp program?
Yes. Keep it. 55 61.80%
No. It should be eliminated. 27 30.34%
Not sure. 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,619,085 times

Advertisements

In Gingrich-world, all of our economic problems would be forever vanquished if each of us just had the good sense to be born into families of millionaires.

It's all just so simple, people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,179,131 times
Default omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Does that go for the disabled, infirmed, elderly and workers that just cannot make ends meet? You people never cease to amaze with your lack of empathy. Someones else's a$$ is always easier to smack...isn't it?

Republicans are very generous in their breaks for the rich that have done their best to enrich themselves by corrupt and devious means and declare war on the middle class..Cold hearted and blooded reptiles!
WOW, there is so much here for me to tear up.

1. I am disabled, yet I have found full time employment that allows me to earn a decent living without my disablement interfering. Infirm, elderly, and workers that cannot make ends meet, that's what charity is for. Have you read the constitution? Nowhere is the power to take money out of someone's pocket and hand it to someone else provided there. Lack of empathy has nothing to do with it, even with money being taken, I manage to find ways to donate to charity, help other's out, and do the right thing. Tell me, how much do YOU donate to charity? How much of your time is spent helping out another person, just to help out? I do so all the time.

2. Breaks for the rich? If the rich get to keep 1% more of 1 million dollars, that's 10 thousand dollars. If I get to keep 10% more of MY money earned, that's less that 3 thousand dollars. Is that what you consider breaks for the rich? Probably, because you see the 10K vs 3K, and they get to keep more money! Besides, the more they keep the more they spend. Durable goods, going out, movies, hiring people, etc. Why let them have more of their money to spend, when it benefits the economy be increasing jobs. Force them to give it to our government since the government obviously know how to spend it better, right?

Lets discuss cold hearted reptiles. Did you know that the Minumum wage increase chapioned by the democrats was responsible for the loss the hundreds of thousands of jobs? I am sure that the democratic legislators KNEW it was going to happen, every single econimist out there told them it would happen and told the world, but guess who didn't listen.. the "people who cared??"...

The only GOOD thing that happened is that those who kept their jobs, are making more money.

The Case Against a Higher Minimum Wage (http://www.house.gov/jec/cost-gov/regs/minimum/against/against.htm - broken link)

Study Shows Loss in Jobs After Minimum Wage Increase - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick

Did the Minimum Wage Increase Destroy Jobs? - NYTimes.com

Rutgers Report: More Jobs Lost, But Wages Increase

Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The Case Against a Higher Minimum Wage (http://www.house.gov/jec/cost-gov/regs/minimum/against/against.htm - broken link)

Opinion piece, speculative.

Study Shows Loss in Jobs After Minimum Wage Increase - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick

Speculative:

" new Ball State University study finds increasing the minimum wage may have eliminated 160,000 low-paying positions. Director of Ball State's Bureau of Business Research Mike Hicks believes the job losses are likely clustered in rural areas and among young workers, who represent the bulk of minimum wage employees"

Now we all know that's not even true; this is a male unemployment recesssion, with the loss of many manufacturing and profession jobs traditionally held by males.

Did the Minimum Wage Increase Destroy Jobs? - NYTimes.com

Opinion piece, specualtive.

Rutgers Report: More Jobs Lost, But Wages IncreaseLOL! So the HuffPo is OK when you think it represents your POV? This article has little mention of minimum wages.

" the average inflation-adjusted wages have actually increased and wage gaps for women and minorities have declined."

Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,449,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
In Gingrich-world, all of our economic problems would be forever vanquished if each of us just had the good sense to be born into families of millionaires.

It's all just so simple, people...
You are right those without a good job need to just get off their butts and go get one,simple,
Of course all these posters who espouse this rational already have good jobs and probably havent looked for a job in ten years so its very easy to let the less fortunate eat cake..

Hey Liberals and Democrats ya better wake up,get some backbone and start fighting for your side/cause or the Repubs are going to win due to lack of interest from the left and mindsets like some of the posters here are going to be in charge of your future..
Why am i the only poster basically rallying the Liberal cause and i'm not even American or live in America.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:16 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,964,554 times
Beat the evil poor, cry for the downtrodden rich. Do the Republicans ever really change their stripes? It's all quite sickening and will be the death of this country.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:32 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

The Great Depression was far worst than the economic downturn we're pulling out of now. As for malnutrition, now we have the opposite problem. The poor are more likely to be overweight since many of them rely on cheap fast food. This is somewhat separate from the food stamps issue, but it is still an important point to make.
The morbidly obese can still be malnourished.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM

59,418 posts, read 27,569,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are right those without a good job need to just get off their butts and go get one,simple,
Of course all these posters who espouse this rational already have good jobs and probably havent looked for a job in ten years so its very easy to let the less fortunate eat cake..

Hey Liberals and Democrats ya better wake up,get some backbone and start fighting for your side/cause or the Repubs are going to win due to lack of interest from the left and mindsets like some of the posters here are going to be in charge of your future..
Why am i the only poster basically rallying the Liberal cause and i'm not even American or live in America.
Thank God. We have people with your way of thinking already here.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,017,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Beat the evil poor, cry for the downtrodden rich. Do the Republicans ever really change their stripes? It's all quite sickening and will be the death of this country.
No, the death of this country is the nanny state that smothers personal responsibility and the survival instinct under the guise of compassion seated in the greed for control.

The death of this country are the greedy and apathetic citizens who have allowed the federal government to stray from its strictly limited powers enumerated by the Constitution in exchange for their personal comfort and non-participation in responsibility for the maintanence of this free Republic.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,747,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Interesting. They don't want to reduce the number of people who need foodstamps to begin with--they just want to cut services to the one in four kids who depend on them now to keep from starving.
Yes in the Republikaaner Reich there will be no Food Stamps, Unemployment, Social Security, Medicare, Veterans Benefits or Child Labor Laws. When you drop over dead your employer will collect the insurance he has on you. America will be able to produce products cheaper than the North Korean Slave Labor. The "Real Americans", the top 2% will be proud.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,316,090 times
You've been posting a lot of polls lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, Newt is not mean-spirited. He simply wants to show the distiction between DemocRATS - the part of food stams , and Republicans - the party of paychecks.

Quote:
There's a good reason why we set up a food stamp program in the first place.
There's a good reason a lot of programs were set up but that doesn't mean those reasons are still valid or that the programs are working or that they shouldn't be reviewed from time to tim to see if they can be improved or better targeted at people who need them while weeding out the scammers. Liberals treat every welfare program as a sacred cow that must never be questioned, never examined for efficiency, and never ever reduced in funding. Democrats are all about growning the fwelfare class because they are where their votes come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies