Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You refuse to 'buy' that it is popular today for many young people to have babies out of wedlock, with no means of providing support?
That's not what you said.
You extrapolated a trend from a small group of teens that you know.
Anecdote does not equal data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Maybe some people shouldn't have been born at all? Maybe some people should have been born in another country with zero economic growth? Maybe some people have an innate disgust for men and natural human reproduction. Maybe some people are selfish and have no clue how to nurture another human? Maybe some people came from a dysfunctional home and don't want to have kids because of that reason? Maybe the humans on this planet are supposed to procreate, maybe we're not from a foreign universe, maybe this is our home we're not invaders here. Maybe the planet can take care of itself.

Maybe something is wrong with people who think like you?
Nice personal attack.

So sorry that you don't like my opinion.
Projecting your life much?
Or is my post hitting you close to home, too?
Maybe some people ought to look at themselves before they attack others.

Humans are mammals, they aren't the only mammals to breed.
All it takes is unprotected sex. It's no big deal.
Rats do it, snakes do it, porcupines do it... why do you think human reproduction is so special?
It's pretty selfish wanting mini me's all over the place.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:45 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's not what you said.
You extrapolated a trend from a small group of teens that you know.
Anecdote does not equal data.
And then you went off on boys being at fault when that was not a part of the OP, nor anything I said at all.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:55 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
You realize that your comment makes no sense; have you considered thinking things through before you post?
Easy to make stupid comments about the poster when you have nothing else to say.

Ummm, if I weren't born, what would it matter? No big deal to me.

My thoughts are that no one should breed, mandatory sterilization for all males at birth.

I had myself sterilized at a young age because I believe in taking care of myself and the planet. I have no selfish need to make mini-me's.

YMMV.
First off I do want for you to know that the first few sentences of yours in your post are not directed at me. I realize this.

Sterilization is a personal matter. What you posted reminded me of a personal experience I had. Let me disclose:

When I was in 9th grade I knew a girl and she I and I became friends. We talked, we shared and we shared, no marriage, no children. This was her view and I am a person with a creative mind, so what we shared, for her was real, for me not so real. However, she thought it was for real for me at the time.

She went to a high school separate from mine. By the time our life paths crossed again, I had married. I needed, love. I hungered for it, thirst for it and the need for love, out weighed the need to not populate. When our paths crossed again, I had had three children. Maybe she felt betrayed by me, as we are no longer friends.

Beyond knowing my friend, my brother had a girlfriend, who too felt that children were not something she would ever want to conceive. She had a pure heart and I loved her too, very much. She passed at a young age do to health conditions. My grand daughter bears her name as a middle name, through my respect of her conveyed to my daughter, my daughter thought to name the first grand child after her was most appropriate in respectable gestures.

I do know where you are coming from....but I also know, the decision to 'have' or to, 'not to have' children is a personal issue and not one that any government entity should ever have the power to control. Also, it can not be something that a financial situation should dictate.

The heart wants, what the heart wants and should never be denied, less we loose the spirit within us that helps us to achieve great things.

Perhaps one day, the earth will be inhabited only by the lower forms of animals. If that comes to be, then one can deduct that, the animal spirit is a much truer and more faithful, than that of the humans.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

we(the USA) are already at negitive population growth as far as babies being born

our country is growing , not due to babies, but due to emigrents
I've heard that. I have not researched it out to know if it is true, but you are not the only one who is telling this these days.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
To reduce poverty - encourage practical self sufficiency.

Get a library card and use it a lot to learn what you don't know how to do - cook, sew, can, garden, auto repair, home
repair etc.. Now, if your poor and don't know how to
read, you need to go to the library for literacy classes Pronto because if you can read, there is nothing you
can not learn to do.

You'd be surprised what you can live on and save - if you do everything yourself. If you get really good at one of the
practical skills - who knows - you can create your own job

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
To reduce poverty - encourage practical self sufficiency.

You'd be surprised what you can live on and save - if you do everything yourself.
And if you never get sick without health insurance...

Old 10-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
And then you went off on boys being at fault when that was not a part of the OP, nor anything I said at all.
Girls can't get pregnant without willing boys, can they?
Sperm creates a pregnancy. It is the outside force.
Without males being complicit, pregnancy will not occur.
It's simple science.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Ummm, if I weren't born, what would it matter? No big deal to me.

My thoughts are that no one should breed, mandatory sterilization for all males at birth.

I had myself sterilized at a young age because I believe in taking care of myself and the planet. I have no selfish need to make mini-me's.

YMMV.
If nobody ever had any children, then what do you think would happen to this country? A bunch of increasingly decrepit, old people who consume services but are no longer able to work effectively...and who exactly is going to take on the responsibility of productivity and maintaining the tax basis necessary to keep society running for you in your twilight years? Younger people.

You can choose to unnaturally sterilize yourself, but you're only able to do so and expect to maintain your standard of living because others will have children who will grow up to be the doctors who take care of you, the workers who maintain your roads, the soldiers who defend you, and the myriad of other people who will provide all of the services you will need to consume in order to survive.

So whose decision will have been more "selfish" - yours or theirs?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-13-2010 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary personal comment

Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
First off I do want for you to know that the first few sentences of yours in your post are not directed at me. I realize this.

Sterilization is a personal matter. What you posted reminded me of a personal experience I had. Let me disclose:

When I was in 9th grade I knew a girl and she I and I became friends. We talked, we shared and we shared, no marriage, no children. This was her view and I am a person with a creative mind, so what we shared, for her was real, for me not so real. However, she thought it was for real for me at the time.

She went to a high school separate from mine. By the time our life paths crossed again, I had married. I needed, love. I hungered for it, thirst for it and the need for love, out weighed the need to not populate. When our paths crossed again, I had had three children. Maybe she felt betrayed by me, as we are no longer friends.

Beyond knowing my friend, my brother had a girlfriend, who too felt that children were not something she would ever want to conceive. She had a pure heart and I loved her too, very much. She passed at a young age do to health conditions. My grand daughter bears her name as a middle name, through my respect of her conveyed to my daughter, my daughter thought to name the first grand child after her was most appropriate in respectable gestures.

I do know where you are coming from....but I also know, the decision to 'have' or to, 'not to have' children is a personal issue and not one that any government entity should ever have the power to control. Also, it can not be something that a financial situation should dictate.

The heart wants, what the heart wants and should never be denied, less we loose the spirit within us that helps us to achieve great things.

Perhaps one day, the earth will be inhabited only by the lower forms of animals. If that comes to be, then one can deduct that, the animal spirit is a much truer and more faithful, than that of the humans.
Sad story.
If someone wants to breed, fine, so long as they can support the child physically, financially and emotionally.
Why is society expected to subsidize your personal decision?
I pay school taxes although I never used a public school and don't complain about education, after all, lack of education costs society much more.

And while I have very strong feelings, I don't see where I've tried to force anyone to do anything that they don't want to do; nor should they expect taxpayers or the government (same thing) to subsidize their choices.
It has to be a decision made with financial considerations; if the person can't make them, perhaps the government needs to step in.
What benefit is unfettered breeding?
The heart wants? Sorry, that's a cop out for irresponsible behavior.
I want a lot of things but know that some things I want may not be good for me and I have to be adult enough to deal with that.
I'm no longer a 14 year old with raging hormones.

You have to have a license to drive and to fish; any mammal can breed.
Unfortunately, most do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies